We could be a Turnaround Team soon

Mikie2times

Save the usual posts that we can't turn it around with MM and TD. We will see a fall guy, so to write off impending doom without knowing their status is pointless.

When I think about how we might be able to improve I'm looking at three main things, what kind of position will we be in to bring in additions, what positive areas of the team will leave, and what areas of the team should stand to get better. When you look at those three areas for the Bills were in good to great shape in everyone, so a quick turnaround is more then achievable.

Per Clumpy's updated cap page for 2006 the Bills are in excellent shape to go after FA's this off-season. For this scenario I'm just going to count the #1 WR position for 10 million next year. We can either keep Moulds, or cut him and use that extra money on a replacement, either way he will count about that much if he stays, and his dead cap and replacement will count that much if he goes.

With the #1 WR position taken care of we can look to create more room elsewhere. The most likely names include Mike Williams, Sam Adams, Bennie Anderson, Mark Campbell, Jeff Posey, and Damion Shelton. I choose these guys for savings potential, lack of production, and current status on the team. Cutting these guys will add an additional $11,932,098 Million in 2006, and $6,956,666 in 2007. When you combine that figure with clumpy's figure we will be around 23 millions under the cap next season. We also will probably get a top 7 draft choice in a loaded draft, plus the a high 3rd from the Titans.

While Buffalo will have more then enough opportunity’s to upgrade the roster, we also shouldn't lose anything major, and have plenty of guys Improve. The only real threat to leave is Nate, but as Mort reported even franchise tenure is affordable in the CB market this year. With the potential of having over 20 million in cap space we can do what we please with Clements. Past that you have the guys from my cut list, Trey Teague, and Josh Reed. Are any of these players really a big loss? Many of them are career back up type players, or at least should be. We know some of these guys can play better then they have, but few have made any impact this year, so we won't feel any loss by them not being around.

Past that we have a lot of players that stand to improve their play from 2005. We have YOUNG players, whose play instantly improves with experience. Hell as a high school player you could feel the jump from JV to Varsity, imagine what the hardest jump of all must feel like? JP, Willis, Lee, Peters, Preston, Parrish, Everett, Kelsey, Anderson, Crowell, MaGee etc. Not all of these guys will improve to pro bowlers, or even starters, but the overall experience this year will help them in their future roles. We also get Takeo back, and even if he is half the player he was his intensity and leadership is sorely missed.

A big roster turnover is coming, and for the first time in a long time we have the money to spend. The young guys are going to get better, and we won't be losing many players. This season has sucked, but things can turn around quick in this league, and I see Buffalo as a team that could be one of them soon.

Save the usual posts that we can't turn it around with MM and TD. We will see a fall guy, so to write off impending doom without knowing their status is pointless.

When I think about how we might be able to improve I'm looking at three main things, what kind of position will we be in to bring in additions, what positive areas of the team will leave, and what areas of the team should stand to get better. When you look at those three areas for the Bills were in good to great shape in everyone, so a quick turnaround is more then achievable.

Per Clumpy's updated cap page for 2006 the Bills are in excellent shape to go after FA's this off-season.  For this scenario I'm just going to count the #1 WR position for 10 million next year. We can either keep Moulds, or cut him and use that extra money on a replacement, either way he will count about that much if he stays, and his dead cap and replacement will count that much if he goes.

With the #1 WR position taken care of we can look to create more room elsewhere.  The most likely names include Mike Williams, Sam Adams, Bennie Anderson, Mark Campbell, Jeff Posey, and Damion Shelton.  I choose these guys for savings potential, lack of production, and current status on the team.  Cutting these guys will add an additional $11,932,098 Million in 2006, and $6,956,666 in 2007.  When you combine that figure with clumpy's figure we will be around 23 millions under the cap next season. We also will probably get a top 7 draft choice in a loaded draft, plus the a high 3rd from the Titans.

While Buffalo will have more then enough opportunity’s to upgrade the roster, we also shouldn't lose anything major, and have plenty of guys Improve. The only real threat to leave is Nate, but as Mort reported even franchise tenure is affordable in the CB market this year. With the potential of having over 20 million in cap space we can do what we please with Clements. Past that you have the guys from my cut list, Trey Teague, and Josh Reed.  Are any of these players really a big loss? Many of them are career back up type players, or at least should be. We know some of these guys can play better then they have, but few have made any impact this year, so we won't feel any loss by them not being around.

Past that we have a lot of players that stand to improve their play from 2005. We have YOUNG players, whose play instantly improves with experience. Hell as a high school player you could feel the jump from JV to Varsity, imagine what the hardest jump of all must feel like? JP, Willis, Lee, Peters, Preston, Parrish, Everett, Kelsey, Anderson, Crowell, MaGee etc. Not all of these guys will improve to pro bowlers, or even starters, but the overall experience this year will help them in their future roles.  We also get Takeo back, and even if he is half the player he was his intensity and leadership is sorely missed.

A big roster turnover is coming, and for the first time in a long time we have the money to spend. The young guys are going to get better, and we won't be losing many players.  This season has sucked, but things can turn around quick in this league, and I see Buffalo as a team that could be one of them soon.

536075[/snapback]

Nice rose-colored glasses view. Won't happen if morons are still calling the shots. That goes up to and including Ralph.

Nice rose-colored glasses view.  Won't happen if morons are still calling the shots.  That goes up to and including Ralph.

536080[/snapback]

Apparently you missed the first sentence

"Save the usual posts that we can't turn it around with MM and TD. We will see a fall guy, so to write off impending doom without knowing their status is pointless."

I think that Milloy and Vincent should be added to that list as well, which saves even more money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

536085[/snapback]

Milloy saves us nearly 3 million if we cut him, while Vincent saves us only 800,000. In terms of play I would rather see Vincent go, in terms of money I would rather see Milloy. If a new GM is brought in we very well could see the FS or SS position shaken up a bit.

Per Clumpy's updated cap page for 2006 the Bills are in excellent shape to go after FA's this off-season.  For this scenario I'm just going to count the #1 WR position for 10 million next year. We can either keep Moulds, or cut him and use that extra money on a replacement, either way he will count about that much if he stays, and his dead cap and replacement will count that much if he goes.

With the #1 WR position taken care of we can look to create more room elsewhere.  The most likely names include Mike Williams, Sam Adams, Bennie Anderson, Mark Campbell, Jeff Posey, and Damion Shelton.  I choose these guys for savings potential, lack of production, and current status on the team.  Cutting these guys will add an additional $11,932,098 Million in 2006, and $6,956,666 in 2007.  When you combine that figure with clumpy's figure we will be around 23 millions under the cap next season. We also will probably get a top 7 draft choice in a loaded draft, plus the a high 3rd from the Titans.

While Buffalo will have more then enough opportunity’s to upgrade the roster, we also shouldn't lose anything major, and have plenty of guys Improve. The only real threat to leave is Nate, but as Mort reported even franchise tenure is affordable in the CB market this year. With the potential of having over 20 million in cap space we can do what we please with Clements. Past that you have the guys from my cut list, Trey Teague, and Josh Reed.  Are any of these players really a big loss? Many of them are career back up type players, or at least should be. We know some of these guys can play better then they have, but few have made any impact this year, so we won't feel any loss by them not being around.

Past that we have a lot of players that stand to improve their play from 2005. We have YOUNG players, whose play instantly improves with experience. Hell as a high school player you could feel the jump from JV to Varsity, imagine what the hardest jump of all must feel like? JP, Willis, Lee, Peters, Preston, Parrish, Everett, Kelsey, Anderson, Crowell, MaGee etc. Not all of these guys will improve to pro bowlers, or even starters, but the overall experience this year will help them in their future roles.  We also get Takeo back, and even if he is half the player he was his intensity and leadership is sorely missed.

A big roster turnover is coming, and for the first time in a long time we have the money to spend. The young guys are going to get better, and we won't be losing many players.  This season has sucked, but things can turn around quick in this league, and I see Buffalo as a team that could be one of them soon.

536075[/snapback]

Nice evaluation KZOO. I agree with what you have to say. One thing that is wearing me out is the up the middle offense and defense. WE need guys who can push off the ball across the front and conversely, shut down that on defense. Our first rounder should be the big DT from Oregon, HALOTI NGATA. Pair him up with a F/A like GRADY JACKSON and maybe we can slow some of this downhill running against us down. It's mentioned the C from New Orleans, LeCharles Bentley is a

F/A. He would be a good start. Preston hasn't shown me much when he has been in the game despite what some here seem to think. Our 2nd Rounder might have to be moved up to get a OG from Georgia, MAX JEAN-GILLES. At that point, maybe another F/A could be found to play the other OG spot and let the OT's continue to battle. WE have to be able to run up the gut when we need to. WE can't run anywhere right now. I would also like to see with the thirds two young, big S's brought in. Tired of the guys we have. Let's get fast all over on defense besides the DT's.

Late

Milloy saves us nearly 3 million if we cut him, while Vincent saves us only 800,000. In terms of play I would rather see Vincent go, in terms of money I would rather see Milloy.  If a new GM is brought in we very well could see the FS or SS position shaken up a bit.

536090[/snapback]

I'd rather see Vincent go moreover too. But is Milloy worth the $$ he's getting? We can draft another Kurt Schulz.

Keep Milloy. We have no SS and we will not draft any SS 50% the player of Milloy at this point. Coy Wire is not the answer. Milloy is still second on the team in tackles and plays the run well. Your FS should be able to cover well and I think Vincent has just aged too much. He is a classy good guy, but time has caught up with him. You can find a good FS easier than a good SS.

Apparently you missed the first sentence

"Save the usual posts that we can't turn it around with MM and TD. We will see a fall guy, so to write off impending doom without knowing their status is pointless."

536081[/snapback]

It only took 1 post for someone to ignore an otherwise well thought out and good post by you.

Bills just REALLY need to make #1 priority the OL in FA and/or the Draft, and dont get tempted into the "best player available" thing...stay the course.

If the Bills upgrade the OL, they can afford to go 4 WR's and even 5 more often, now it seems they cannot...

I agree both lines need to be addressed but the most glaring defeiciency on this team is the DL. It was soooo evident last night that this DL is woefully bad. How many 3rd down conversions? Worst run stopping defense in the league. You can address the OL in many ways. Look at the Pats (Neal, Ashworth, Coppen etc..) 2 undrafted free agents and a third round draft pick. Then look at their DL. Warren, Wolfork, Seymour. All first round picks and great players. Both lines need to be addressed. Good thing is that a player or two on each line candramatically improve the lines.

We have so many holes on both lines I think we should draft the best player available on either line, whether it be DT, DE, OL, whatever. Ideally we could use 2 DT's, a DE, and 3-4 new OLman. Since that's impossible and you can win games without EVERY starter being "good", I think we can realistically be competetive with 2 DLman and 2 OLman. Salaries not withstanding, it's tough to find that many good players in the draft and/or FA in just 1 offseason. I dunno, I don't think this team is really close to being good.

i agree

here is my list

Hutch

Bently in FA

Grady in FA (wow, if only a guy like pat williams was in FA this offseason!)

draft Ngata, Draft a SS and LB early

Cut and resign williams

if moulds must go, replace him with stallworth or wayne.

Draft an LT with our 2nd

keep clements

if we can, sign a guy like Abraham in FA, complete our pass rushing line.

job #1 is to get a new GM and new coaches

bam, there we have a team with 2 good lines and plenty of young talent to work with

I may be one of the few but I dont think we have to go over expensive on bringing in free agents. I'm a big believer in building through the draft while filling in the rest of your team with quality but not break the bank free agents

On the offensive side of the ball I'd like to see LeCharles Bentley brought in. I'd like to see Villarrial cut and Preston put at rg, and gandy moved inside to lg. Instantly giving us a more athletic interior oline and guards who are able to pull unlike fat slob bennie and old man villarrial. I'm not a fan of Jason Peters but if they insist on playing him keep him at rt and draft Tackle Marcus Mcneil from Auburn. He spent his time there opening holes for Ronnie and Caddy he'd be a welcomed addition. He's slipped quite a bit in draft standings, maybe enough to grab him in the 2nd round. None of this is anything fancy but it improves our interior line imo.

As far the wr spot goes. I really hope Moulds finishes his career here but it looks grim. I definitly would like Reggie Wayne however I think another good option is either Joe Jurervicius from Seattle. Tough possesion wr who could be a good compliment to lee evans, or David Givens from ne.

On Defense. Whether we cut adams or not. Bring in grady jackson we need a space clogger. Jackson is that. Draft ngata re-sign ron edwards. A Rotional system of adams???/jackson/ngata/edwards/anderson would do wonders for our run defense. I'd like to see an upgrade at de. If not john abraham or darren howard. Someone like Raheem Brock would be nice. Kelsay has proven nothing, other then he's just there so we have to deal. Posey is gone and I can think of a hell of a lot worse lb trios then Crowell/Fletcher/Spikes. I wouldn't mind seeing Spikes moved to the strong side as I feel he's a better coverage lb then crowell and would handle the switch better.

Tag Clements, cut vincent. Keep Milloy but draft a replacement a secondary of Clements/Mcgee/Baker/Milloy I like, and we have solid depth in the secondary with Thomas/King/Greer.

All in all we do have a lot of young talent on this team it's a matter or improving the areas that need improvement and not breaking the bank on skill position players.