Perhaps this is why our TE's suck

WVUFootball29

Was reading through coaching profiles today and came across this:

Mike Miller - tight ends coach; born April 9, 1970, Plum Borough, Pa. No college or pro playing experience. College coach: Robert Morris 1997-98. Pro coach: Pittsburgh Steelers 1999-2003, joined Bills in 2004.

For some reason I think a positional coach should have some sort of playing experience at the position he is coaching. Hard to believe someone who didnt play college ball at least somewhere is a coach in the NFL.

And this is the same kind of logic that would suggest that the guy who at one time coached the kickers for the Dolphins would suck too. Oh yeah, he was a quadrapalegic and some said he had the best technical eye in the NFL (ability to critique technique). I'm not saying our guy might not suck, but to write him off simply becuase he never played the game is utterly silly.

Was reading through coaching profiles today and came across this:

Mike Miller - tight ends coach; born April 9, 1970, Plum Borough, Pa. No college or pro playing experience. College coach: Robert Morris 1997-98. Pro coach: Pittsburgh Steelers 1999-2003, joined Bills in 2004.

For some reason I think a positional coach should have some sort of playing experience at the position he is coaching.  Hard to believe someone who didnt play college ball at least somewhere is a coach in the NFL.

535051[/snapback]

Where did Jon Gruden play his college football? And New England did OK last year with Weis as their OC. Playing the game helps but that isn't the determining factor.

Where did Jon Gruden play his college football?  And New England did OK last year with Weis as their OC.  Playing the game helps but that isn't the determining factor.

535069[/snapback]

Look at Tom Clements as another indication that the original post's line of reasoning sucks. Also, Jim McNally's success (well, with other teams --- tho how can you blame the man for not making bricks when he isn't given clay?).

Playing experience has nothing --- not one thing --- to do with being an effective coach. It's an entirely different skill set, and requires an understanding of the macrocosm of the system rather than the microcosm of the individual player's assignment in said system. Nevermind that just b/c you can do something, doesn't mean you can teach it.

Where did Jon Gruden play his college football?  And New England did OK last year with Weis as their OC.  Playing the game helps but that isn't the determining factor.

535069[/snapback]

Born August 17, 1963 in Sandusky, Ohio, Gruden attended South Bend Clay High School in Indiana and was a three-year letterman at quarterback at the University of Dayton, graduating in 1985 with a degree in Communications.

Weis on the otherhand seems to be an exception.

My point is our TE's have looked like crap the past few seasons and I cant imagine a coach with no experience at the position is helping much. Tell ya what though, he turns into the next Charlie Weis...I'll buy you both a brand new car.

Look at Tom Clements as another indication that the original post's line of reasoning sucks. Also, Jim McNally's success (well, with other teams --- tho how can you blame the man for not making bricks when he isn't given clay?).

Playing experience has nothing --- not one thing --- to do with being an effective coach. It's an entirely different skill set, and requires an understanding of the macrocosm of the system rather than the microcosm of the individual player's assignment in said system. Nevermind that just b/c you can do something, doesn't mean you can teach it.

535076[/snapback]

Clements enjoyed an outstanding 12-year career in the CFL with Ottawa (1975-78), Saskatchewan/Hamilton (1979), Hamilton (1981-82) and Winnipeg (1983-87)…was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 1994…a seven-time divisional All-Star, Clements led two teams, Ottawa (1976) and Winnipeg (1984), to Grey Cup championships, and earned the Outstanding Offensive Player in both of those contests…for his career, Clements completed 2,807-of-4,657 passes (60.3 percent) for 39,041 yards and 252 touchdowns… earned the league's Rookie of the Year in 1975 and MVP in 1987…also served as a backup for the Kansas City Chiefs in 1980. Sounds like playing experience to me.

Originally from Buffalo, McNally played guard at University at Buffalo from 1961-64 and the combination of his playing career and his coaching expertise earned him a spot in the university's Hall of Fame...Hmmm sounds like playing experience

Clements enjoyed an outstanding 12-year career in the CFL with Ottawa (1975-78), Saskatchewan/Hamilton (1979), Hamilton (1981-82) and Winnipeg (1983-87)…was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 1994…a seven-time divisional All-Star, Clements led two teams, Ottawa (1976) and Winnipeg (1984), to Grey Cup championships, and earned the Outstanding Offensive Player in both of those contests…for his career, Clements completed 2,807-of-4,657 passes (60.3 percent) for 39,041 yards and 252 touchdowns… earned the league's Rookie of the Year in 1975 and MVP in 1987…also served as a backup for the Kansas City Chiefs in 1980.  Sounds like playing experience to me.

535078[/snapback]

And look where it has got us.

My point is our TE's have looked like crap the past few seasons and I cant imagine a coach with no experience at the position is helping much.  Tell ya what though, he turns into the next Charlie Weis...I'll buy you both a brand new car.

535077[/snapback]

How 'bout Bobby April? He wasn't a kicker in college or the pros; he was a LBer at a really small school. He must not be a good ST coach.

Keep listing the other assistants, OCs, DCs, HCs, GMs, etc. who don't have playing experience yet have had success, and those who have had playing experience yet have sucked. You'll be here for a while.

Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that our top two guys (and on several other teams, our top two would be third-stringers) were coming off of knee injuries, and the promising rookie was lost for the season, could it? Nah....

Clements enjoyed an outstanding 12-year career in the CFL with Ottawa (1975-78), Saskatchewan/Hamilton (1979), Hamilton (1981-82) and Winnipeg (1983-87)…was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 1994…a seven-time divisional All-Star, Clements led two teams, Ottawa (1976) and Winnipeg (1984), to Grey Cup championships, and earned the Outstanding Offensive Player in both of those contests…for his career, Clements completed 2,807-of-4,657 passes (60.3 percent) for 39,041 yards and 252 touchdowns… earned the league's Rookie of the Year in 1975 and MVP in 1987…also served as a backup for the Kansas City Chiefs in 1980.  Sounds like playing experience to me.

Originally from Buffalo, McNally played guard at University at Buffalo from 1961-64 and the combination of his playing career and his coaching expertise earned him a spot in the university's Hall of Fame...Hmmm sounds like playing experience

535078[/snapback]

I was pointing out Clements --- guy played at Notre Dame, WTF? Like I don't know this? --- as a coach who's had "playing experience" and has done so well a job that he's been officially castrated as OC.

Well they cant all be winners...but if you guys want you can do a study and let me know which has a better winning percentage, coaches with playing exp and coaches without....I'll bet I win

535088[/snapback]

You have to figure that most people involved with the game have had some level of involvement with it from an early age, and either loved it enough and were good enough at what they did to earn the chance to coach at a professional level. You think Mr. Miller walked in off the street and was handed the job or something?

'X position isn't the strongest link on the football team; must be that X coach sucks; why does he suck?; look at his bio; he never played football in college or the pros; voila! he's not very good.' Let me ask you, Mr. Sullivan. Do you like it at the BNews? Does it pay well?

I've got a great idea for my doctoral thesis. You wouldn't mind doing all the research and writing the paper for me, would you? While you're at it, there's the oral defense, too.

Born August 17, 1963 in Sandusky, Ohio, Gruden attended South Bend Clay High School in Indiana and was a three-year letterman at quarterback at the University of Dayton, graduating in 1985 with a degree in Communications.

My point is our TE's have looked like crap the past few seasons and I cant imagine a coach with no experience at the position is helping much.  Tell ya what though, he turns into the next Charlie Weis...I'll buy you both a brand new car.

535077[/snapback]

My bad. I have to do better research but I think I got your point and you got mine.