From Something That I Am Writing

The style is intended. Because the style is intended, it must be pointed out that trying to force the style as a crutch makes you out to be a complete and absolute retard. I repeat, the style is intended.

It's written from the point of view of someone named Woodrow Jest in lives in a future where America didn't exist. He's telling (you) why.

---

In your time it is thought that a young mind can only express themselves intelligently through music or through fact recitation. There are the enlightened musicians and the enlightened scholars. The rest of your young minds are supposed to drown via their own devices. They are supposed to drown and wade in listless minimum wage occupations where they will wear name tags and ask customers on their bag selections.

After the young become old, some of the enlightened musicians turn out to be not so enlightened and some of the enlightened scholars turn out to be not so scholarly. They are both then supposed to drown via their own devices.

Then the rest of the enlightened musicians and enlightened scholars will die and people will have engaging debates on their lives where they are pulled apart and rearranged and the strategy and concept of living is discussed and made a mockery of. People will eventually say what fantastic human beings they were, if they had just been able to avoid dying via their own devices.

In your time it seems all very systematic. A always leads to C, even when you don't see it coming.

I've seen people from your time say that it is astounding how overpopulated the public school system's classroom is but how underpopulated that colleges are. I don't think it's all that astounding. The reason for this is because colleges are really expensive and there is immediate expectation for everyone to become an enlightened scholar.

It's apparently important for you people though to make a point that someone can only be an enlightened scholar when they conform and adhere to all the preset principles of being an enlightened scholar. Apparently it's a foregone conclusion to you people that you've got the whole 'being an enlightened scholar' thing down pretty well.

Your people, in your time apparently liked microwavable inspiration, and were always looking for ways to make it quicker and easier and more accessible. Microwavable inspiration is when the concept of freedom of expression and choice is overruled by the lack of a reason to live and so people start living through fads and trends and hip gadgety doo-dads.

In my time people set goals and strive to achieve them. In your time your goals are set for you based on societies standards. You try to achieve them. Then privately, you set your own personal goals for yourself, but the challenge of juggling all these goals and maintaining your sanity becomes far too much and you eventually just end up giving up on your personal goals in favor of an easier hobby. In my time, our hobbies are usually our goals and we are all extremely good at our hobbies and generally make this our livelihood. In your time, having your hobby as your goal is generally considered selfish and bad. You should instead be working at Wal Mart. That is admirable. You folks sure do make freedom complicated.

By working at Wal Mart or whatever you get to bring home a nice ridiculously undersized paycheck to support your easier hobbies – drinking, smoking, chronic !@#$ing and participation in capitalism! You hate yourself for not just being a more assertive person and striving toward achieving your real desires in life. I don't blame you.

Society doesn't scold you for not striving to achieve your real desires in life, either, because they also have long since abandoned their real desires in favor of what was considered admirable. They do however scold you for not being more of an enlightened scholar in college.

You hated college. Well, let me put it this way: You hated classes in college. You dropped out. Maybe you didn't, I don't know. Needless to say college was supposed to be, by societies standards, the inevitable answer to all of your problems.

Society said to you, “Kid, go here, spend ample amounts of money and you will soon have it all figured out.”

You never have had it all figured out. Society sold you a bill of goods. You just want to go practice mountain biking or singing or whatever it is that you actually enjoy, but your debt to society is now to work at Wal Mart. If only you could have just figured it all out.

Democrats like to tell you that if you punch a hole by their name on a piece of paper they will be more catering to your needs because you work at Wal Mart and need more of that sort of thing. They like to tell you that although you're probably too !@#$ed up to fix, that they are going to do you right by rewarding all the chronic !@#$ing you do with better schools for your off spring. Meanwhile, Republicans like to tell you that if you think the Democrats sound all nice and cozy just wait until some angry folks from some other place come around with guns wanting to whoop some ass. The Republicans say they're the only ones that can stop those people from whooping our asses. Then the Republicans tell us that if we vote for Democrats that all the chronic !@#$ing we do will put us in a bad spot with the holy man upstairs.

Both the Democrats and Republicans are big fat-ass liars. You know that but needless to say you still have some faint aspiration to root for one or the other. These Democrats and Republicans disagree on most things, but one thing they all encourage you on is to go out and invest in microwavable inspiration and all of its wonderful aspects. Because investment is good for business! Some people tell these Democrats and Republicans that they wish they could just go about striving for their desires to become the world's best windsurfer or concert pianist and the Democrats and Republicans really don't care. They just want you to shut the !@#$ up and get back to your register at Wal Mart.

Because you never know when someone is looking to buy some microwavable inspiration.

The style is intended. Because the style is intended, it must be pointed out that trying to force the style as a crutch makes you out to be a complete and absolute retard. I repeat, the style is intended.

It's written from the point of view of someone named Woodrow Jest in lives in a future where America didn't exist. He's telling (you) why.

---

In your time it is thought that.................

534392[/snapback]

Do you want a review/critique of

A - Style

B - Content

C - Both

D - Neither?

I don't care what you say really. I just wanted to make a point of the fact that the style was intended because I knew that if I didn't make that point one thousand socially depressed old forum trolls would come whining about the style.

But comment on whatever you want. I pointed style out specifically because people who have masturbatory bitchfits about the style of pieces like this tend to have never read any Vonnegut or Haines or, for christ sakes, Albert Einstein.

Those people just tend to read whatever is prescribed to them by their selected news media or course advisor (depending upon age) and don't go any further, and for those people I have no respect. If you're one of those people: I have no respect.

Like, dislike, care, don't care: whatever.

Just posting.

I don't care what you say really. I just wanted to make a point of the fact that the style was intended because I knew that if I didn't make that point one thousand socially depressed old forum trolls would come whining about the style.

But comment on whatever you want. I pointed style out specifically because people who have masturbatory bitchfits about the style of pieces like this tend to have never read any Vonnegut or Haines or, for christ sakes, Albert Einstein.

Those people just tend to read whatever is prescribed to them by their selected news media or course advisor (depending upon age) and don't go any further, and for those people I have no respect. If you're one of those people: I have no respect.

Just posting.

534624[/snapback]

Or you could have just answered the question.

Just posting.

534624[/snapback]

I wasn't trolling or trying to be obnoxious. I guess it came off that way. It was an honest question.

I like the way it is written (style). It's fairly unique yet easy to follow. I'll comment on the content when I have more time.

Or you could have just answered the question.

534634[/snapback]

I did answer the !@#$ing question. Just because I din't speak in simple little direct sequences, that you understand, which allow you to sign off on something as legitimate doesn't mean I didn't answer the !@#$ing question, you blowhard.

And for another thing, I will be direct with you: Stop being a mechanized socially secluded forum troll whose sole and undying existence is dependent completely on ones ability to be right, always, on an internet forum. You're not even that good at being a stupid B word, and I assure you that's your apex.

I wasn't trolling or trying to be obnoxious.  I guess it came off that way.  It was an honest question. 

I like the way it is written (style).  It's fairly unique yet easy to follow.  I'll comment on the content when I have more time.

534716[/snapback]

My comment wasn't meant to be aggressive. I expect that forum members are all too used to most comments being aggressive, and so I can see how you made that mistake. But yeah, no foul.

---

In your time it is thought that a young mind can only express themselves intelligently through music or through fact recitation. There are the enlightened musicians and the enlightened scholars. The rest of your young minds are supposed to drown via their own devices. They are supposed to drown and wade in listless minimum wage occupations where they will wear name tags and ask customers on their bag selections.

After the young become old, some of the enlightened musicians turn out to be not so enlightened and some of the enlightened scholars turn out to be not so scholarly. They are both then supposed to drown via their own devices.

Then the rest of the enlightened musicians and enlightened scholars will die and people will have engaging debates on their lives where they are pulled apart and rearranged and the strategy and concept of living is discussed and made a mockery of. People will eventually say what fantastic human beings they were, if they had just been able to avoid dying via their own devices.

In your time it seems all very systematic. A always leads to C, even when you don't see it coming.

I've seen people from your time say that it is astounding how overpopulated the public school system's classroom is but how underpopulated that colleges are. I don't think it's all that astounding. The reason for this is because colleges are really expensive and there is immediate expectation for everyone to become an enlightened scholar.

It's apparently important for you people though to make a point that someone can only be an enlightened scholar when they conform and adhere to all the preset principles of being an enlightened scholar. Apparently it's a foregone conclusion to you people that you've got the whole 'being an enlightened scholar' thing down pretty well.

Your people, in your time apparently liked microwavable inspiration, and were always looking for ways to make it quicker and easier and more accessible. Microwavable inspiration is when the concept of freedom of expression and choice is overruled by the lack of a reason to live and so people start living through fads and trends and hip gadgety doo-dads.

In my time people set goals and strive to achieve them. In your time your goals are set for you based on societies standards. You try to achieve them. Then privately, you set your own personal goals for yourself, but the challenge of juggling all these goals and maintaining your sanity becomes far too much and you eventually just end up giving up on your personal goals in favor of an easier hobby. In my time, our hobbies are usually our goals and we are all extremely good at our hobbies and generally make this our livelihood. In your time, having your hobby as your goal is generally considered selfish and bad. You should instead be working at Wal Mart. That is admirable. You folks sure do make freedom complicated.

By working at Wal Mart or whatever you get to bring home a nice ridiculously undersized paycheck to support your easier hobbies – drinking, smoking, chronic !@#$ing and participation in capitalism! You hate yourself for not just being a more assertive person and striving toward achieving your real desires in life. I don't blame you.

Society doesn't scold you for not striving to achieve your real desires in life, either, because they also have long since abandoned their real desires in favor of what was considered admirable. They do however scold you for not being more of an enlightened scholar in college.

You hated college. Well, let me put it this way: You hated classes in college. You dropped out. Maybe you didn't, I don't know. Needless to say college was supposed to be, by societies standards, the inevitable answer to all of your problems.

Society said to you, “Kid, go  here, spend ample amounts of money and you will soon have it all figured out.”

You never have had it all figured out. Society sold you a bill of goods. You just want to go practice mountain biking or singing or whatever it is that you actually enjoy, but your debt to society is now to work at Wal Mart. If only you could have just figured it all out.

Democrats like to tell you that if you punch a hole by their name on a piece of paper they will be more catering to your needs because you work at Wal Mart and need more of that sort of thing. They like to tell you that although you're probably too !@#$ed up to fix, that they are going to do you right by rewarding all the chronic !@#$ing you do with better schools for your off spring. Meanwhile, Republicans like to tell you that if you think the Democrats sound all nice and cozy just wait until some angry folks from some other place come around with guns wanting to whoop some ass. The Republicans say they're the only ones that can stop those people from whooping our asses. Then the Republicans tell us that if we vote for Democrats that all the chronic !@#$ing we do will put us in a bad spot with the holy man upstairs.

Both the Democrats and Republicans are big fat-ass liars. You know that but needless to say you still have some faint aspiration to root for one or the other. These Democrats and Republicans disagree on most things, but one thing they all encourage you on is to go out and invest in microwavable inspiration and all of its wonderful aspects. Because investment is good for business! Some people tell these Democrats and Republicans that they wish they could just go about striving for their desires to become the world's best windsurfer or concert pianist and the Democrats and Republicans really don't care. They just want you to shut the !@#$ up and get back to your register at Wal Mart.

Because you never know when someone is looking to buy some microwavable inspiration.

534392[/snapback]

If I express an opinion, are you going to yell at me like you have everyone else? :o

Your story needs strippers. That, or guns.

534886[/snapback]

Haha!

Actually, I am thinking of really how to include more of Woodrow Jest's future world into the story to get it context. Maybe he will be a futuristic coke peddler, or heroine addict, or Bills fan. Or the President. Or something.

Haha!

Actually, I am thinking of really how to include more of Woodrow Jest's future world into the story to get it context. Maybe he will be a futuristic coke peddler, or heroine addict, or Bills fan. Or the President. Or something.

534895[/snapback]

I know that Kurt Vonnegut recommends that you need to be cruel to

your characters to make them interesting, but making him a Bills fan?

That is over the top, don't you think? :o

These Democrats and Republicans disagree on most things,

534392[/snapback]

I disagree. I think they agree on most things they only say it differently to make you think there is a difference. Its all smoke and mirrors I tell ya!

I did answer the !@#$ing question. Just because I din't speak in simple little direct sequences, that you understand, which allow you to sign off on something as legitimate doesn't mean I didn't answer the !@#$ing question, you blowhard.

And for another thing, I will be direct with you: Stop being a mechanized socially secluded forum troll whose sole and undying existence is dependent completely on ones ability to be right, always, on an internet forum. You're not even that good at being a stupid B word, and I assure you that's your apex.

534873[/snapback]

You go ahead and have a nice vacation. While you're at it, try and figure out which one of our existances depends upon acceptance or the need to be right.

1. You posted from "something you are writing" on an internet forum, opening yourself to critique from people you don't know. That's a gutsy move and I respect that. That DOES NOT, in anyway, give you license.

2. Then you ranted when asked a simple and non-threatening question by one of the nicest people on said forum.

3. Now, when directly confronted, again, in a non-threatening manner, you go off completely. Apparently this is your immature attempt at being the "misunderstood Greenwich Village starving artist". I know, no one understands you. That just never gets old.

4. Understand completely that I can honestly care less about your opinion of me. You could spend the rest of your life giving out the link to PPP and telling everyone I'm a member of NAMBLA and a Maoist who really lives in Berkley. Whoopee.

There are plenty of internet forums for you to act like a child and throw tantrums at the drop of a hat but this will not be one of them. I wish you the best on your writing career. You have some talent but your people skills make me look like Ghandi.

You go ahead and have a nice vacation.  While you're at it, try and figure out which one of our existances depends upon acceptance or the need to be right.

1.  You posted from "something you are writing" on an internet forum, opening yourself to critique from people you don't know.  That's a gutsy move and I respect that.  That DOES NOT, in anyway, give you license.

2.  Then you ranted when asked a simple and non-threatening question by one of the nicest people on said forum.

3.  Now, when directly confronted, again, in a non-threatening manner, you go off completely.  Apparently this is your immature attempt at being the "misunderstood Greenwich Village starving artist".  I know, no one understands you.  That just never gets old.

4.  Understand completely that I can honestly care less about your opinion of me.  You could spend the rest of your life giving out the link to PPP and telling everyone I'm a member of NAMBLA and a Maoist who really lives in Berkley.  Whoopee.

There are plenty of internet forums for you to act like a child and throw tantrums at the drop of a hat but this will not be one of them.  I wish you the best on your writing career.  You have some talent but your people skills make me look like Ghandi.

534904[/snapback]

I really need attention. Please pay attention to me.