if the bills gm believes that a qb is truly a ...

dave mcbride

and i mean truly believes. let's say a new gm comes in (and a new gm will be coming in), looks at the tape, and decides that losman clearly isn't going to be the next big thing. moreover, the bills, who are drafting high, have a chance to take a prospect that the staff truly and wholeheartedly believes is a can't miss, blue chip qb who will lead the team for years. what do you do? i'm of a mind that the qb is the most important player on the team, and finding a good one is really, really hard. also, think about the pack -- until this year they've always been good despite the so-so talent around favre. brady is becoming like that as well. also bear in mind that the bills will have the chance to nab decent linemen in free agency (steve hutchison from seattle comes to mind).

i'm of course not saying this is going to happen, and i'm also not suggesting that losman isn't capable of becoming good. it's a hypothetical question, and is dependent on the staff truly believing that a qb draftee is going to be that guy and that losman isn't the answer.

I would not worry about a QB this year. The OL MUST be improved before we can truly evaluate Losman or even bring in someone new and expect him to produce. Bringing in a new QB will keep us in the same boat we are in now.

There are no can't-misses in the NFL. None. If I had to, had to pick one I'd say Ladainian Tomlinson but even he has really emerged with a healthy line, a great TE and a capable QB.

If you bring in a new QB and pay him big, that's 3 QBs on the roster making over a mil a year. And any one of the three would get killed behind this line, because there's no way you can afford to pay all three and STILL address all the concerns on this team.

Wasn't Ryan Leaf deemed a once in a lifetime pick???

At this point I would say no, we have a young QB with potential(ugh, the dreaded P word) I dont think anyone coming out in this draft at QB is going to make the bills a better team.

Lines and Depth should seriously be the focus of this draft, but that is just the way I see it.

With that said, I think the steal of the draft at QB is going to be Jay Cutler and/or Bruce Gradkowski

Johnny unitas, otto graham, joe montana, joe namath, jim kelly, dan marino...NO QUARTERBACK...NO QUARTERBACK is going to play well with an offensive line as porous as ours. There are a number of exceptional offensive and defensive linemen in this draft. We have to get a number of them.

Losman gets injured too much. He'll never be dependable #1 qb, unless he changes his habbits drastically (which he won't). So I'll just say with Losman at QB it will always be an up and down rollercoaster.

532250[/snapback]

His habits like waiting longer than 0.375 seconds to pass? Or being able to scramble, instead of sitting there and getting his head knocked in like some of our more statuesque QB friends?

Please. Give this kid a line and we'll see something. Now Jim Kelly, that guy got injured a couple times... 0:)

At this point I would say no, we have a young QB with potential(ugh, the dreaded P word)  I dont think anyone coming out in this draft at QB is going to make the bills a better team.

Lines and Depth should seriously be the focus of this draft, but that is just the way I see it.

With that said, I think the steal of the draft at QB is going to be Jay Cutler and/or Bruce Gradkowski

532253[/snapback]

so was mike williams. also, remember that you can sign free agent offensive linemen. there will be some good ones this year.

There are no can't-misses in the NFL.  None.  If I had to, had to pick one I'd say Ladainian Tomlinson but even he has really emerged with a healthy line, a great TE and a capable QB.

If you bring in a new QB and pay him big, that's 3 QBs on the roster making over a mil a year.  And any one of the three would get killed behind this line, because there's no way you can afford to pay all three and STILL address all the concerns on this team.

532247[/snapback]

losman doesn't make that much, and a mill a year is almost nothing (the vet minimum is $750,000).

Guest BackInDaDay
Losman gets injured too much. He'll never be dependable #1 qb, unless he changes his habbits drastically (which he won't).

532250[/snapback]

Especially his habit of showing up behind center for this offense. 0:)

so was mike williams. also, remember that you can sign free agent offensive linemen. there will be some good ones this year.

532258[/snapback]

Mike Gandy and Bennie Anderson FTW!!!!

Seriously though....there is a lack of options on the OL Free agent market this offseason. The players who are good and in contract years will most likely stay with their current teams unless someone is willing to pay them out landish money...

and i mean truly believes. let's say a new gm comes in (and a new gm will be coming in), looks at the tape, and decides that losman clearly isn't going to be the next big thing. moreover, the bills, who are drafting high, have a chance to take a prospect that the staff truly and wholeheartedly believes is a can't miss, blue chip qb who will lead the team for years. what do you do? i'm of a mind that the qb is the most important player on the team, and finding a good one is really, really hard.  also, think about the pack -- until this year they've always been good despite the so-so talent around favre.  brady is becoming like that as well.  also bear in mind that the bills will have the chance to nab decent linemen in free agency (steve hutchison from seattle comes to mind).

i'm of course not saying this is going to happen, and i'm also not suggesting that losman isn't capable of becoming good. it's a hypothetical question, and is dependent on the staff truly believing that a qb draftee is going to be that guy and that losman isn't the answer.

532227[/snapback]

Tough choice, for sure. But in recent history - Manning the elder, Vick the freak. Steve Mc Nair. Before - Elway, Aikman - I'm sure I forgot some good names - but also less-than high five types like Kelly, Marino, etc.

A decent case can be made for McNabb and perhaps Culpepper. Manning part II, Palmer, Brees, Leftwich etc - we'll see.

We do have that irritating sore thumb, Brady, to deal with. 0:)

I think Bflo made a reach with JP, but given the criticality of the position, I never blame any club for doing such. Now and again, that coin flip works out... :blink:

losman doesn't make that much, and a mill a year is almost nothing (the vet minimum is $750,000).

532262[/snapback]

Even if the difference ends up being the little bit extra that it costs to pick up a Marcus Price / Ross Tucker-type guy who can help capably when the starter is inevitably injured, instead of a Greg Jerman, we will have lost on this kind of deal. We've seen that this year.

JP Losman is not the Bills' biggest problem, and he could be a big asset. No need to mess things up further with more indecision about the leadership of this team, especially at the expense of much greater needs. We need to spend every spare penny on line upgrades and thinking about the future of other older positions on this team. Replacing the QB is so knee-jerk it's not even funny. Imagine if the Giants had done the same this year...

Guest BackInDaDay
and i mean truly believes. let's say a new gm comes in (and a new gm will be coming in), looks at the tape, and decides that losman clearly isn't going to be the next big thing. moreover, the bills, who are drafting high, have a chance to take a prospect that the staff truly and wholeheartedly believes is a can't miss, blue chip qb who will lead the team for years. what do you do? i'm of a mind that the qb is the most important player on the team, and finding a good one is really, really hard.  also, think about the pack -- until this year they've always been good despite the so-so talent around favre.  brady is becoming like that as well.  also bear in mind that the bills will have the chance to nab decent linemen in free agency (steve hutchison from seattle comes to mind).

532227[/snapback]

Phillip Rivers / Drew Brees

Even if the difference ends up being the little bit extra that it costs to pick up a Marcus Price / Ross Tucker-type guy who can help capably when the starter is inevitably injured, instead of a Greg Jerman, we will have lost on this kind of deal.  We've seen that this year.

JP Losman is not the Bills' biggest problem, and he could be a big asset.  No need to mess things up further with more indecision about the leadership of this team, especially at the expense of much greater needs.  We need to spend every spare penny on line upgrades and thinking about the future of other older positions on this team.  Replacing the QB is so knee-jerk it's not even funny.  Imagine if the Giants had done the same this year...

532272[/snapback]

but the giants never would have done it because accorsi and coughlin are still running the show. donohoe won't be next year. there were a lot of teams that didn't like losman, and while they may prove yet to be totally wrong, it's not inconceivable that our next gm comes from one of those clubs.

remember, this is all hypothetical.

532253[/snapback]

Uhhh.... no, he was not. He was viewed as a fast-riser with all of the athletic tools.... There was a QB, however, who was viewed as a can't-miss pick in that draft, and as it was, he was taken ahead of Ryan Leaf.

I heard he turned out pretty good, BTW....

JDG