Which opponent hurt us more?

Look, I know our offense sucked yesterday and we did almost everything we could to lose that game, but we did get screwed by the officiating as well. Two great returns by special teams called back for holding, at least one of the calls was very questionable and behind the play. Even the announcers couldn't find the holding on the Clements run back after watching the replays. If anything, it was Mario Haggan before the ball was even punted. Also, Travis Henry crossed the goaline with the ball on that 4th and goal run, although it may have been after the whistle. I couldn't tell from the replay. Don't mean to sound like a whiner, we could have done more to win this game, but we definitely had to work extra hard to overcome the 12th man. (the zebra) :D

Oh yeah, and that holding call in the endzone should have been a safety.

37926[/snapback]

Are you sure about that? Show me the rule.

As pissed as I was at the time, I'm willing to give the refs the benefit of the doubt on that one. The rule probably does say to enforce from where the enfraction occurred. It occurred at the one yard line, regardless of where the ball was at the time. I know for a fact that's how most rules are written. Seems wrong to me in this case, but I'd be surprised if it WASN'T the rule...

CW

Guest Bledsoe's Alarm Clock

How about the play where the Raiders had 3rd and long and Gannon scrambled for a 1st down? Anyone see the LB (Posey, I think) get tackled from behind as he was about to sack Gannon? Where were the flags? It doesn't get any more flagrant than that play, yet no sign of a holding penalty.

Bills sucked and so did the officiating.

P.S. - why wasn't McGahee used for the short yardage situation when Henry came up short? Even as he works himself back into football shape, he's been very sucessful in the scrimmage, preseason, and previous game in short yardage plays.

The Zebras gave the Bills 48 yards of offense on a field goal drive.

I hated to see such nice work by Clements get overturned, but it looked like the Ref situation was a wash. The Bills beat themselves with very little help from the refs or Oakland. No offense to speak of, and the D played hard-but gave up too many drive continuing plays-and BTW, how do you let someone get behind you on a third and the Pacific Ocean? Didn't that happen last week as I recall?

Are you sure about that?  Show me the rule.

As pissed as I was at the time, I'm willing to give the refs the benefit of the doubt on that one.  The rule probably does say to enforce from where the enfraction occurred.  It occurred at the one yard line, regardless of where the ball was at the time.  I know for a fact that's how most rules are written.  Seems wrong to me in this case, but I'd be surprised if it WASN'T the rule...

CW

37958[/snapback]

Although the lineman started the block on the one yard line, it is my opinion (albeit a biased one) that the block did not turn into a hold until they were in the endzone. Splitting hairs but I still feel like we got screwed.

B)

How about the play where the Raiders had 3rd and long and Gannon scrambled for a 1st down? Anyone see the LB (Posey, I think) get tackled from behind as he was about to sack Gannon? Where were the flags? It doesn't get any more flagrant than that play, yet no sign of a holding penalty.

Bills sucked and so did the officiating.

P.S. - why wasn't McGahee used for the short yardage situation when Henry came up short? Even as he works himself back into  football shape, he's been very sucessful in the scrimmage, preseason, and previous game in short yardage plays.

37964[/snapback]

I did see the tackle from behind. You're right, I was sreaming at the tv on that play. (for your information, it did not respond.) B)

Guest Guest_Mike in SoFlo_*

Haven't you guys figured it out yet?The Raiders are one of the signature teams in the league. They get higher ratings and sell more merchandise. The refs were instructed by the league office in tandem with the networks to make sure it was the Bills who started 0 and 2, and not the Raiders.

It's the same thing over and over again:

The safety

The touchdown, I saw a ball cross the goal line on the replay. The refs seem to make a very quick decision without really looking for the ball.

The returns. One ok, but 2? Oh, really.

The two consecutive holding calls at the end of the game. How convenient to call them at the most crucial time.

This league is fixed...I always said it since the "Just give it to em" game.

I don't enjoy it anymore because the ending is always so predictable.

Haven't you guys figured it out yet?The Raiders are one of the signature teams in the league. They get higher ratings and sell more merchandise. The refs were instructed by the league office in tandem with the networks to make sure it was the Bills who started 0 and 2, and not the Raiders.

I don't enjoy it anymore because the ending is always so predictable.

38043[/snapback]

I will not go so far as to say the outcome was fixed, but truth be told, we played well enough to win this game. I know this board is mostly gloom and doom today but all is not lost. The officials were a big factor in this loss. Without the blown calls mentioned above this is a win...an ugly win, but a win none the less.

Are you sure about that?  Show me the rule.

As pissed as I was at the time, I'm willing to give the refs the benefit of the doubt on that one.  The rule probably does say to enforce from where the enfraction occurred.  It occurred at the one yard line, regardless of where the ball was at the time.  I know for a fact that's how most rules are written.  Seems wrong to me in this case, but I'd be surprised if it WASN'T the rule...

CW

37958[/snapback]

From CBS Gamebook, Cle at Dal:

Cleveland Browns at 0:09

1-10-CLV 1 (:09) (Shotgun) 5-J.Garcia pass incomplete to 80-K.Winslow. Pass thrown left sideline at the Cleveland 15.

PENALTY on CLV-73-J.Gonzalez, Offensive Holding, 1 yard, enforced in End Zone, SAFETY - No Play.

Timeout #2 by DAL at 00:08.

Beats me...

I was listening to the game and not watching so this is my question. If all of you are saying that the ball crossed the goal line, then why in the hell wasn't it reviewed? If the replay clearly showed this then why did MM throw the little red friggin bag?  :rolleyes:

38193[/snapback]

They only showed the replay once on tv and it was without sound so you couldn't tell when the whistle was blown. His run stalled and then he reached out with the ball and extended it over the line but it was after his forward progress had stopped. I don't know if the refs blew the whistle or not but maybe they id and Mularkey knew it. But I am telling you, the ball crossed the line and the 2 holding calls on the kick returns were b.s. Especially the one on Clements punt return. And the hold in the endzone should have been a safety. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.