Just got back from Media Play

Talonz

uh, don't you mean they can't compete with the Circuit City's of the world??????? 0:) we need to change that mindset!

I can't speak to how the company is run, but Buffalo had always been one of Media Play's best markets.  However the entire chain is closing.  They can't compete with the Best Buys of the world.  Those stores are willing to take a loss on hot CDs to get people into their stores.  Whenever you see a new CD for 10.99 the retailer is most likely losing money on it.

532275[/snapback]

Just as I suspected, BestBuy owns MusicLand which owns the Suncoast/SamGoody and MediaPlay franchises. Now I am happy!

uh, don't you mean they can't compete with the Circuit City's of the world??????? 0:) we need to change that mindset!

532310[/snapback]

Media Play was a good idea that failed to evolve with the times.  Just like the old department store retail model was overtaken by The Borg - er, Wal-Mart.

527265[/snapback]

Is that really true? Stores like Target and Wal-Mart are going to the "super" model... Selling groceries and what not. For a time that was not in vogue. Remember the whole "Twin Fair"/"Two Guys" concept in the 1970's (groceries and everything else)?... I guess they were ahead of their time/era?

Is that really true?  Stores like Target and Wal-Mart are going to the "super" model... Selling groceries and what not.  For a time that was not in vogue.  Remember the whole "Twin Fair"/"Two Guys" concept in the 1970's (groceries and everything else)?... I guess they were ahead of their time/era?

532433[/snapback]

Ex, I'm a very casual buyer of recorded music. On the occassional times I went into a Media Play, my impression was like that I get from a Wal-Mart. Haphazard shelves, shabby housekeeping, etc. I know, with my infrequent purchashing, that I am not up on competitive pricing. But their stores just gave me a cheesy impression. I think that they did poorly in picking up that few percent of the casual, like me. In a competitive business, that can make a difference. Certainly a small thing, what with several posters pointing out their high prices. But a loss of repeat sales.

BTW, I loved Twin Fair. Good selection, good workers, cheap prices, etc. Two Guys was well off my beaten path. 0:)

Edited by stuckincincy

Ex, I'm a very casual buyer of recorded music. On the occassional times I went into a Media Play, my impression was like that I get from a Wal-Mart. Haphazard shelves, shabby housekeeping, etc. I know, with my infrequent purchashing, that I am not up on competitive pricing. But their stores just gave me a cheesy impression. I think that they did poorly in picking up that few percent of the casual, like me. In a competitive business, that can make a difference. Certainly a small thing, what with several posters pointing out their high prices. But a loss of repeat sales.

BTW, I loved Twin Fair. Good selection, good workers, cheap prices, etc.  Two Guys was well off my beaten path. :blink:

532462[/snapback]

Exactly! Exactly!

I have fond memories of TF too. My wife said her father would always go there for his cigars (Philly's... who would have thought he was very ahead of his time and the "blunt" rage?... 0:) ) when things got crazy with the kids... He would distance himself from their fracus and say: "I am going to Twin Fair to pick up cigars... When I get back, THIS BETTER BE RESOLVED!." :w00t::D Now that is parenting! :lol::lol:

Not really related but, since we are talking about grocery stores and parenting:

I also have fond memories of the A&P(Next to the Two Guys on Walden)... Remember the 8 O'Clock Coffee grinders at the registers?... I still remember getting my hand slapped by the checkout lady for touching one! Served me right! Never did it again. Try, doing that nowadays... Good luck... You'll have a raging soccer mom all over your jock!

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this is a joke.

I went to Media Play last night to check out what was left. Everything is now 40% off or more.

THEY MARKED UP THEIR NEW RELEASES TO THE MOST INSANE AMOUNT I HAVE EVER SEEN!

Movies like Batman Begins, Stealth, etc are *** $26.99 **** !!!! Of couse you take 40% off of that amount but what a bunch of garbage.

I noticed games like City of Villans was $39.99 - 20% last week , but now they marked up the game to $49.99 - 40%. Games like Quake 4 were boosted up to $54.99.

As I said, WHAT A JOKE.

its not like they are a stand alone business and need to sell off stuff just to get cash, Parent Best Buy can just absorb whatever inventory that isn't sold, and those that did see the sale as a sale, well it is just gravy for Parent company!

Ok this is a joke.

I went to Media Play last night to check out what was left.  Everything is now 40% off or more.

THEY MARKED UP THEIR NEW RELEASES TO THE MOST INSANE AMOUNT I HAVE EVER SEEN!

Movies like Batman Begins, Stealth, etc are ***  $26.99 **** !!!!  Of couse you take 40% off of that amount but what a bunch of garbage.

I noticed games like City of Villans was $39.99 - 20% last week , but now they marked up the game to $49.99 - 40%.  Games like Quake 4 were boosted up to $54.99.

As I said, WHAT A JOKE.

544615[/snapback]

its not like they are a stand alone business and need to sell off stuff just to get cash, Parent Best Buy can just absorb whatever inventory that isn't sold, and those that did see the sale as a sale, well it is just gravy for Parent company!

544660[/snapback]

I didn't realize Best Buy was the parent company. That explains so much. I don't like Best Buy.

CW