"Down by contact"

12thman

Without a doubt this is the one rule when it comes to challenges that needs to be changed.

How many times is there a fumble only to be ruled down by contact and thats it...play dead.

Anyone know if there will be discussion as to changing this rule or how often the Nfl discusses these items..maybe at owners meetings?

Just curious

Without a doubt this is the one rule when it comes to challenges that needs to be changed.

How many times is there a fumble only to be ruled down by contact and thats it...play dead.

Anyone know if there will be discussion as to changing this rule or how often the Nfl discusses these items..maybe at owners meetings?

Just curious

515756[/snapback]

That's an impossible one to replay/review. Once the whistle blows, the play is dead. You want the refs to just never blow the whistle? Can't do that either, it'll add injury. So you live with an imperfect system.

Of course, this past Sunday was the first time I can remember that rule ever actually favoring us...

CW

Just curious

515756[/snapback]

They've tried to coach the refs into letting the play "play itself out," therefore a fumble can be recovered, and then later overturned if the replays show the runner was down. But some refs insist they saw the play correctly and blow the whistle if it appeared the guy was down.

The flaw with "letting them play" is that you force a team to use, best case, one of their challenges (you are only allowed two, with a potential for a third if the first two are correct) and worst case, losing a timeout and the ball if the ref was in fact correct.

FWIW I think the refs have done a much better job this season on blowing the whistle immaturely.

515760[/snapback]

I really don't fault the refs on that, it's just the system. I don't understand even if ruled down why it shouldn't be challengable.

That's an impossible one to replay/review.  Once the whistle blows, the play is dead.

515762[/snapback]

Interestingly, this year I seem to "hear" fewer and fewer whistles at the end of plays. So many times I see players getting up and resuming the play because no one blew the whistle...and then suddenly a ref would start blowing the play dead and pointing back to where the guy was down.

If they're allowed to blow the whistle late and change their mind, how come they can't blow the whistle early and change their mind?

how can they review that? if the guy is down, they blow the wissle and the play is over. it doesnt matter to ends up with the ball becasue the wissle blew.

you can not award a player for endign up with the ball after the wissle. that would only lead to players NOT stopping when they should. and that would destroy the game.

the way it is now is the best way to do it.

how can they review that? if the guy is down, they blow the wissle and the play is over. it doesnt matter to ends up with the ball becasue the wissle blew.

you can not award a player for endign up with the ball after the wissle. that would only lead to players NOT stopping when they should. and that would destroy the game.

the way it is now is the best way to do it.

515849[/snapback]

its easy to review..hypothetical situation that happens all the time, say a rb is going down and the ball comes lose before his he is down..forwhatever reason, the ref had a bad a view and called him down but it clearly a fumble, i think the refs should not try to prolong plays, blow the whistle if you think he is down..but in the case where it might be a fumble, you should be able to challenge it.

you can't fumble and then challenge to see if he was down..in my mind this needs to be fixed

i found this article..has been talked about 20 teams wanted it to change, 24 needed to pass

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8321040

its easy to review..hypothetical situation that happens all the time, say a rb is going down and the ball comes lose before his he is down..forwhatever reason, the ref had a bad a view and called him down but it clearly a fumble, i think the refs should not try to prolong plays, blow the whistle if you think he is down..but in the case where it might be a fumble, you should be able to challenge it.

you can't fumble and then challenge to see if he was down..in my mind this needs to be fixed

i found this article..has been talked about 20 teams wanted it to change, 24 needed to pass

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8321040

515901[/snapback]

I read your link, but I don't get it :rolleyes:

Are you saying the play isn't over when the ref blows his whistle? How do the players know when to stop playing?

If the play is over at the whistle, how can you then call a fumble and determine who would have come up with the ball if there wasn't a whistle? Won't it reward players who ignore the whistle?

Just curious

515756[/snapback]

I agree with that. Hopefully they'll look into that. As far as instant replay goes, I think that they should have more than one official looking at the play and deciding on it. I think a few calls over the past few seasons have been wrong even with instant replay.