I've become numb

Indy Dave

I think you are painting with too broad a brush. Losing ethusiasm for a team that has been mediocre at best the past 5 years is not being a bandwagon jumper. Back in the pre Super Bowl years when the Biulls sucked even worse than they do today, I was one of the 35,00 idiots sitting in the rain watching the Bills lose.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are painting with too broad a brush. Losing ethusiasm for a team that has been mediocre at best the past 5 years is not being a bandwagon jumper. Back in the pre Super Bowl years when the Biulls sucked even worse than they do today, I was one of the 35,00 idiots sitting in the rain watching the Bills lose.

514916[/snapback]

Back in those days it was also a much slower process to build a good team. In today's NFL it can obviously occur quite a bit quicker, often in the course of a single offseason (see: San Diego). Yeah, so the season hasn't gone the way we hoped or expected. Trust me, I get as miserable after a Sunday loss as anyone else on this board. But they're still my Buffalo Bills, and I'm a fan no matter what. So if you guys want to go have your love affair with other teams, then go for it. Just don't expect us "Bills or bust" fans to empathize with ya, cause we're too busy planning our next circling of the friggin wagons!

Back in those days it was also a much slower process to build a good team. In today's NFL it can obviously occur quite a bit quicker, often in the course of a single offseason (see: San Diego). Yeah, so the season hasn't gone the way we hoped or expected. Trust me, I get as miserable after a Sunday loss as anyone else on this board. But they're still my Buffalo Bills, and I'm a fan no matter what. So if you guys want to go have your love affair with other teams, then go for it. Just don't expect us "Bills or bust" fans to empathize with ya, cause we're too busy planning our next circling of the friggin wagons!

515147[/snapback]

Did you ever see Blazing Saddles?

Right now the Bills are circling their wagons like Bart's (Cleavon Little) family did...

:D

Did you ever see Blazing Saddles?

Right now the Bills are circling their wagons like Bart's (Cleavon Little) family did...

:D

515153[/snapback]

lol....that movie made me laugh my arse off

It's probably a bit more intense for those of us living in cities that have other AFCE teams (in my case, deep in the heart of NE Paytiolet-land), or in cities with some history against the Bills. It's a matter of pride to wear the Bills gear in an enemy city..."Yeah we suck, but I'm a Bills fan, so !@#$ you". It's easy to represent when your squad is winning (case in point Patsy fans who all show up after a win, but bail after a loss), but to wear a Jim Kelly jersey into Foxboro when your team is 3-13, and get crap thrown at you, and get hasseled in the lot after the beating your squad took, well, that's what makes finally winning it worth it.

When they are at their worst is when you should cheer the loudest.

Tom Donahoe is not Buffalo. Eric Moulds is not Buffalo. Willis McGahee is not Buffalo. We are Buffalo.

515147[/snapback]

Aj

Where in any of my posts did I say I was even entertaining the thought of being a fan of another team? I just stated that the past 5 years have got to me and that my enthusiasm for this version of the team has waned late in this season. Maybe it's a case of the pre holiday blues. I've been a fan through back to back 2-14 years and 10 years in a row of not beating the Dolphins (basically my whole childhood).

I was born in 1963 and have a been a diehard fan since I was old enough to understand the game and do not need lectures about circling the wagons. As you stated in your post, in this era teams are suppossed to be able to rebuild much quicker with the cap and free agency. After 5 years in which this team is treading water at best, it's hard not get dissapointed.

Aj

Where in any of my posts did I say I was even entertaining the thought of being a fan of another team? I just stated that the past 5 years have got to me and that my enthusiasm for this version of the team has waned late in this season.  Maybe it's a case of the pre holiday blues. I've been a fan through back to back 2-14 years and 10 years in a row of not beating the Dolphins (basically my whole childhood).

I was born in 1963 and have a been a diehard fan since I was old enough to understand the game and do not need lectures about circling the wagons. As you stated in your post, in this era teams are suppossed to be able to rebuild much quicker with the cap and free agency. After 5 years in which this team is treading water at best, it's hard not get dissapointed.

515216[/snapback]

I feel ya brother. I also am dissappointed, and ya know, I think its more than the Bills. When is the last time as a buffalo sports fan we had a playoff win? Let alone just making the playoffs. I think it was back in the the 1st rd Sabres series before Darren f*&%ing Kasperitis beat Hasek with that weak ass shot to end the Pittsburgh series.

So, while I am disappointed, I still get excited every time the stinking Bills play and hope for the best.

Aj

Where in any of my posts did I say I was even entertaining the thought of being a fan of another team? I just stated that the past 5 years have got to me and that my enthusiasm for this version of the team has waned late in this season.  Maybe it's a case of the pre holiday blues. I've been a fan through back to back 2-14 years and 10 years in a row of not beating the Dolphins (basically my whole childhood).

515216[/snapback]

I actually meant the "bandwagon jumping" part of my response to be a subtle shot at the original poster. Sorry for any misconfusion.

It's probably a bit more intense for those of us living in cities that have other AFCE teams (in my case, deep in the heart of NE Paytiolet-land), or in cities with some history against the Bills.  It's a matter of pride to wear the Bills gear in an enemy city..."Yeah we suck, but I'm a Bills fan, so !@#$ you".  It's easy to represent when your squad is winning (case in point Patsy fans who all show up after a win, but bail after a loss), but to wear a Jim Kelly jersey into Foxboro when your team is 3-13, and get crap thrown at you, and get hasseled in the lot after the beating your squad took, well, that's what makes finally winning it worth it. 

When they are at their worst is when you should cheer the loudest. 

Tom Donahoe is not Buffalo.  Eric Moulds is not Buffalo.  Willis McGahee is not Buffalo.  We are Buffalo.

515196[/snapback]

Exactly.....and when you drive around town with your Buffalo Bills license plate or wear that Jim Kelly jersey you mentioned, even though your team sucks, people look at you and know that you're one of the diehards. It may make them want to ridicule you even more in front of their friends and all of their respective mothers, but you know what? Part of all that ridicule is really driven by the respect they have for those who STILL support their team and stand strong behind them no matter HOW much temptation there may be to hide your colors until the team is good again. Cause chances are they know damn well they wouldn't be able to do the same thing. My team sucks? Yeah well so what....they're still MY team and they always will be. Most of us have significant ties to Western NY and it's part of who we are. So to think that we could just abandon that is unfathomable. Hell, when I lived in Philly I took sh*t all the time for showing my Bills fan membership card. Now that the FAlcons are playing well, all the bandwagon jumping frauds down here love to get on my case. I like it. I love it. I want some more - of -it. With the exception of OJ, I've always been able to be proud of my team. I'm proud to have grown up in that part of the country. And Ill be damned if I'll ever deny that part of who I am.

I actually meant the "bandwagon jumping" part of my response to be a subtle shot at the original poster. Sorry for any misconfusion.

515260[/snapback]

Tell me how I'm a bandwagon fan. Read my post. I took on a second-favorite team. Do you know what second-favorite means? I also used the sentence, "I'll always be a Bills fan."

Last night, I watched the Colts improve to 11-0 and could only think how much I wished it was Buffalo having that much success. I remembered the days when we had multiple games on Monday Night Football and performed at a high level in front of the entire nation.

The point of my post wasn't too remove myself from being a Bills fan. Yes, I abandoned the Bills-Chargers game to watch the much-more entertaining Colts-Bengals game. So sue me.

I have a Bills mini-helmet and mousepad in my office. I have a room in my house filled with Bills memorabilia. I come to the office each Monday and bore my football friends and co-workers about what happened in the Bills game the day before. I visit this site just about every day, and have done so for years. And yes, I am having a great time watching a great team and a great organization chase history. That does not make me a bandwagon fan.

Tell me how I'm a bandwagon fan. Read my post. I took on a second-favorite team. Do you know what second-favorite means? I also used the sentence, "I'll always be a Bills fan."

Last night, I watched the Colts improve to 11-0 and could only think how much I wished it was Buffalo having that much success. I remembered the days when we had multiple games on Monday Night Football and performed at a high level in front of the entire nation.

The point of my post wasn't too remove myself from being a Bills fan. Yes, I abandoned the Bills-Chargers game to watch the much-more entertaining Colts-Bengals game. So sue me.

I have a Bills mini-helmet and mousepad in my office. I have a room in my house filled with Bills memorabilia. I come to the office each Monday and bore my football friends and co-workers about what happened in the Bills game the day before. I visit this site just about every day, and have done so for years. And yes, I am having a great time watching a great team and a great organization chase history. That does not make me a bandwagon fan.

515358[/snapback]

Well, it's nothing more than my opinion, but if you read your original post you just really seem to be saying that if the Bills aren't winning your "loyalty is tested" and you "see no hope" or whatever. How can you see no hope? And what the hell do the Colts have to do with it? How long has Polian been there? A DAMN LONG TIME! Were you this into them a few years ago? Would you be just as into them if the Bills were winning? Look, I love the NFL. I'll watch an NFL game over almost anything on television. But how well the Falcons do down here in Atlanta has absolutely no bearing on my love for the Bills. Just doesn't seem like the same holds true of you.

Look man, I don't know about anyone else, but I think it's really damn annoying when someone starts a post about how frustrated they are with the Bills (which we ALL are, by the way) and then leads in to some ball washing of another team. I still remember when that JPEra guy did that with the LIons a couple years ago......that was annoying as all hell. If you like to watch the Colts, that's great! I love watching Peyton Manning and the rest of them, too. They are one helluva team. But what I don't get is how that has anything to do with you not having any hope being a Bills fan. I just don't get it.

Well, it's nothing more than my opinion, but if you read your original post you just really seem to be saying that if the Bills aren't winning your "loyalty is tested" and you "see no hope" or whatever. How can you see no hope? And what the hell do the Colts have to do with it? How long has Polian been there? A DAMN LONG TIME! Were you this into them a few years ago? Would you be just as into them if the Bills were winning? Look, I love the NFL. I'll watch an NFL game over almost anything on television. But how well the Falcons do down here in Atlanta has absolutely no bearing on my love for the Bills. Just doesn't seem like the same holds true of you.

Look man, I don't know about anyone else, but I think it's really damn annoying when someone starts a post about how frustrated they are with the Bills (which we ALL are, by the way) and then leads in to some ball washing of another team. I still remember when that JPEra guy did that with the LIons a couple years ago......that was annoying as all hell. If you like to watch the Colts, that's great!  I love watching Peyton Manning and the rest of them, too. They are one helluva team. But what I don't get is how that has anything to do with you not having any hope being a Bills fan. I just don't get it.

515419[/snapback]

We can always have him taken out and shot.

We can, you know. Sort of as an example to others.

We can always have him taken out and shot.

We can, you know. Sort of as an example to others.

515425[/snapback]

lmao.....if we did that they might start accusing us of being kin to Alaska Darin

Look man, I don't know about anyone else, but I think it's really damn annoying when someone starts a post about how frustrated they are with the Bills (which we ALL are, by the way) and then leads in to some ball washing of another team. I still remember when that JPEra guy did that with the LIons a couple years ago......that was annoying as all hell. If you like to watch the Colts, that's great!  I love watching Peyton Manning and the rest of them, too. They are one helluva team. But what I don't get is how that has anything to do with you not having any hope being a Bills fan. I just don't get it.

515419[/snapback]

Points taken, however it's not the lack of wins that's testing my loyalty. I have hung on through worse seasons than this. It's just the way the organization is run. The way that we have been building for success and indirectly pointing towards this season to be the one when we made the leap. The manner in which it has all gone so wrong. But you are right...I guess the Bills' failures should have nothing to do with the Colts. So I guess I should be taken out and shot.

Points taken, however it's not the lack of wins that's testing my loyalty. I have hung on through worse seasons than this. It's just the way the organization is run. The way that we have been building for success and indirectly pointing towards this season to be the one when we made the leap. The manner in which it has all gone so wrong. But you are right...I guess the Bills' failures should have nothing to do with the Colts. So I guess I should be taken out and shot.

515462[/snapback]

If he takes you out and has you shot, can I take out your girl? :rolleyes:

I'm KIDDING, bro.....you are a lucky guy....she's a cutie. :unsure:

If he takes you out and has you shot, can I take out your girl?  :rolleyes:

I'm KIDDING, bro.....you are a lucky guy....she's a cutie.  :unsure:

515475[/snapback]

That's my wife (12 years in April). On top of being way too good-looking for me, she is completely cool. And I'm sure she sometimes wouldn't mind me being shot.

That's my wife (12 years in April). On top of being way too good-looking for me, she is completely cool. And I'm sure she sometimes wouldn't mind me being shot.

515601[/snapback]

Good Lord, did you two get hitched in the fifth grade? You two look too young to have been married that long.

Good Lord, did you two get hitched in the fifth grade? You two look too young to have been married that long.

515608[/snapback]

Sixth grade. We were living in Arkansas at the time. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

Just kidding. The wedding was two years after college.