Clements and Compensation

TSNBDSC

Its one year. Regardless of how bad clements looked yesterday, he is still a top corner in this league and WILL get a big contract in FA.

Tag the guy and try to trade him. My guess is we can get a late first/early 2nd for clements.

If he has to stay and play out his franchise tag, there are worse things that could happen.

Its one year.  Regardless of how bad clements looked yesterday, he is still a top corner in this league and WILL get a big contract in FA.

Tag the guy and try to trade him.  My guess is we can get a late first/early 2nd for clements.

If he has to stay and play out his franchise tag, there are worse things that could happen.

509752[/snapback]

If the tag and trade strategy doesn't work out, they could always remove the tag if they don't want to pay him (of course, then he walks for nothing). And yes, 2 first rounders are the compensation awarded to franchise tagged FA's if we decide not to match, but no one gets that lucky! More than likely if someone wants him they will negotiate the trade parameters before signing Clements. A 1st rounder would be a coup.

If the tag and trade strategy doesn't work out, they could always remove the tag if they don't want to pay him (of course, then he walks for nothing).  And yes, 2 first rounders are the compensation awarded to franchise tagged FA's if we decide not to match, but no one gets that lucky!  More than likely if someone wants him they will negotiate the trade parameters before signing Clements.  A 1st rounder would be a coup.

509778[/snapback]

You can not remove the tag if he signs the franchise tender. this is what Charles Woodson did in Oakland. It screwed them good. No one would trade for him and the Franchise contract he signed.

if we franchise Clements, NO team will sign him. because they would have to give us 2 1st rounders.

what is much more common, is that we frachise him, then trade him to a team in exchange for one 1st rounder. (the colts and seahawlks were only asking for a 2nd rounder for thier franchised RBs).

Clements will be the best CB in FA this off season. we should resign him. but if we dont, we will work out a trade for a 1st rounder.

You can not remove the tag if he signs the franchise tender.  this is what Charles Woodson did in Oakland.  It screwed them good.  No one would trade for him and the Franchise contract he signed.

509873[/snapback]

Correct you are, but the assumption is that he won't sign the tender because the smart thing would be to wait for a trade and sign his long term contract with the HUGE upfront signing bonus, which he would see no upfront money if he signed the tender.

Its one year.  Regardless of how bad clements looked yesterday, he is still a top corner in this league and WILL get a big contract in FA.

Tag the guy and try to trade him.  My guess is we can get a late first/early 2nd for clements.

509752[/snapback]

I have to disagree. I think he is better than average but not top.

Makes too many mistakes