It's the playcalling!

Here's my Socratic argument: What plays work when you have unblocked defenders flying through the A-gaps play after play after play?

Well, we know pocket pass plays are out. The QB is getting hit and evading people before he can take a proper drop. Screw keeping his eyes downfield, he's just trying to stay alive.

Running plays aren't going to work. The defender is "there" at the exchange. You're lucky to complete the hand-off without a fumble.

Quick passes and short drops don't work. It just means the defender has to take 1 less step before putting your QB in the hospital.

How about slow developing plays like triple reverses and end-arounds? Nope. They'll fail every time.

Screens? Nope. Trick plays? Nope.

With ZERO blocking, there is no play calling "problem". The play calling just doesn't matter. This doesn't completely exonerate the coaches, scouts, and front office that assemble a team with no ability to block, of course.

It just doesn't matter how the tulips were planted on Friday if the dikes completely collapse on Sunday.

So are you saying our o-line just cannot block 1 on 1? Or are you saying there are more rushers that there are blockers, so people are getting in untouched. Playcalling can certainly improve the blocking, add more blockers, call a screen pass, or play-action fake, or other similar tried and true plays. JP had descent amounts of time yesterdays, but convsider this... the Bills didn't run the ball at all. From the first play of the game there was zero commitment to the run. The defensive line knew we were going to pass the ball. If they know we're going to pass the ball, they have no hesitation in attacking the QB. Even that split second hesitation where they have to keep their eye on Willis for a moment can improve the pass blocking immensly.

So yes the playcalling does suck. I am sorely dissapointed with it. We have not had good playcalling on this team for many years and its very disheartening.

Here's my Socratic argument: What plays work when you have unblocked defenders flying through the A-gaps play after play after play?

Well, we know pocket pass plays are out.  The QB is getting hit and evading people before he can take a proper drop.  Screw keeping his eyes downfield, he's just trying to stay alive.

Running plays aren't going to work.  The defender is "there" at the exchange.  You're lucky to complete the hand-off without a fumble.

Quick passes and short drops don't work.  It just means the defender has to take 1 less step before putting your QB in the hospital.

How about slow developing plays like triple reverses and end-arounds?  Nope.  They'll fail every time.

Screens? Nope.  Trick plays? Nope.

With ZERO blocking, there is no play calling "problem".  The play calling just doesn't matter.  This doesn't completely exonerate the coaches, scouts, and front office that assemble a team with no ability to block, of course. 

It just doesn't matter how the tulips were planted on Friday if the dikes completely collapse on Sunday.

509102[/snapback]

You are correct sir.

Yes. What I'm saying is that some of the guys upfront on this Bills team cannot block the guy in front of them. They shy away from contact, make the wrong line calls, or otherwise get bowled over and mauled. In short, they flat out suck.

Maybe the playcalling could be better. But, I have no idea. I was seeing our QB run for his life and the RBs juking guys in the backfield or hit during the exchange. Hell, I don't even know what the playcall was because untouched defenders were goosing our skills players before they could move. :D

BTW, this is the NFL. If a lineman can't pick up a blitzer more than once a season, then he has absolutely no business playing in this league. None.

No, its TOM DONABLOW!!

509143[/snapback]

Ok, let's have an adult discussion about this. No cute little "Donablow" or "Loss Man" references. First of all, the play calling is atrocious! Couple that with the fact that our line sucks and you see what happens. But in all honesty, our offense would have had to score 49 points to win that game. Where is the D? We made Bree's look like an all star. He under threw several passes, but didn't matter because our corners were no where near the play. And with our corners playing 10 yards off the ball, he just dumped the ball off for 2 yards and his receivers ran for 10+ more. I would expect our defensive coordinates could have made some adjustments, but they played off the whole game. Please Jerry Grey, get that head coaching position. No one wants you to get it more than me, I just don't buy into your system. Buffalo dropped the ball by letting Dick Lebeau go, he was 10 times the coordinator that Grey will ever be. This team is getting worse every year. I think it's time to pay some $$ for a head coach that isn't learning on the fly. What an embarrassment.................