It's Funny

Casey D

Over the past few years. Because yesterday it became painfully clear that after 5 years under Donahoe, the QB issue is a relatively small one for this team. After 5 years, we have a team with horrible offensive and defensive lines. I've tried to be hopeful and give them the benefit of the doubt because I love this team, but the reality is that at the fundamentals--the trench play--this team is well below the NFL average.

Losman will be fine, but it's really clear now that the problems with Bledsoe were 25% Drew and 75% the fact that the line can't block. No one can play QB when you have about 1 second to set up. At least Losman can move, but no one can play QB well under these circumstances. Bledsoe was a scapegoat--and I am happy he has moved on because I think Losman will be better-- for an offensive line which is consistently dreadful.

At the end of the day, this team was built with a few big splashes in free agency, draft or trade-- Bledsoe, Milloy, Spikes, Fletcher, Vincent, M. Williams, Losman-- which gives the common fan hope because the guys have names. But the team lacks enough players who are willing to stick their nose in it and get dirty, without fanfare. When you see New England at 6-4 with half the roster comprised of street players because of injury, you can't help but conclude that our front office is totally outclassed at finding 52 guys who can play decently and consistently with a high degree of effort. This pains me to no end, because I truly like Wilson, Donahoe and Mularkey. But at this point, 5 years after Butler and Wadeo left, the team has spun its wheels and accomplished absolutely nothing. I really don't know what there is to do, it's just terribly frustrating that the management lacks competence to put at least an above average product on the field after all this time... CD

Over the past few years.  Because yesterday it became painfully clear that after 5 years under Donahoe, the QB issue is a relatively small one for this team.  After 5 years, we have a team with  horrible offensive and defensive lines.  I've tried to be hopeful and give them the benefit of the doubt because I love this team, but the reality is that at the fundamentals--the trench play--this team is well below the NFL average.

Losman will be fine, but it's really clear now that the problems with Bledsoe were 25% Drew and 75% the fact that the line can't block.  No one can play QB when you have about 1 second to set up.  At least Losman can move, but no one can play QB well under these circumstances. Bledsoe was a scapegoat--and I am happy he has moved on because I think Losman will be better-- for an offensive line which is consistently dreadful.

At the end of the day, this team was built with a few big splashes in free agency, draft or trade-- Bledsoe, Milloy, Spikes, Fletcher, Vincent, M. Williams, Losman-- which gives the common fan hope because the guys have names.  But the team lacks enough players who are willing to stick their nose in it and get dirty, without fanfare.  When you see New England at 6-4 with half the roster comprised of street players because of injury, you can't help but conclude that our front office is totally outclassed at finding 52 guys who can play decently and consistently with a high degree of effort.  This pains me to no end, because I truly like Wilson, Donahoe and Mularkey.  But at this point, 5 years after Butler and Wadeo left, the team has spun its wheels and accomplished absolutely nothing.  I really don't know what there is to do, it's just terribly frustrating that the management lacks competence to put at least an above average product on the field after all this time... CD

508665[/snapback]

Excellent post. Nobody is expecting a SB win every year (though it would be nice). All the typical Bills fan wants to see is a team that is competitive and improving. That is just not happening!

Excellent post.  Nobody is expecting a SB win every year (though it would be nice).  All the typical Bills fan wants to see is a team that is competitive and improving.  That is just not happening!

508752[/snapback]

Thanks. And yeah, just to be in the playoffs again would be great. It's so much fun to be in the post-season dance, just to hope. 6 years in a row w/ no playoffs--and not much hope as this team is not progressing--is just dismal. It's not much fun to be a Bills fan right now.

But the team lacks enough players who are willing to stick their nose in it and get dirty, without fanfare.  When you see New England at 6-4 with half the roster comprised of street players because of injury, you can't help but conclude that our front office is totally outclassed at finding 52 guys who can play decently and consistently with a high degree of effort. 

508665[/snapback]

It is the Coaching.....Lots of these teams are close on talent level. What

distinguishes the good ones from the avg and bad ones is the mental aspects.

That comes completely from coaching.....A parcells, gibbs or coughlins enforce

that discipline and focussing in the players, that makes them react to the play

that one split second earlier......or concentrate on the ball.....

Our last staff and the current staff are too soft and cannot coach that mental

strength into the player......and that small difference makes the big difference.

Case in point.....If Reed concentrates on the ball and doesn't drop the ball......

Eric Moulds half hearted attempts to go for the ball.......You cannot have your

veteran WR called for a OFFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE......

The team is down because of indisciplined play......Linemen don't hold their blocks until the whistle is blown.....Defensive guys don't finish their blocks and miss tackles....

It is the Coaching.....Lots of these teams are close on talent level. What

distinguishes the good ones from the avg and bad ones is the mental aspects.

That comes completely from coaching.....A parcells, gibbs or coughlins enforce

that discipline and focussing in the players, that makes them react to the play

that one split second earlier......or concentrate on the ball.....

Our last staff and the current staff are too soft and cannot coach that mental

strength into the player......and that small difference makes the big difference.

Case in point.....If Reed concentrates on the ball and doesn't drop the ball......

Eric Moulds half hearted attempts to go for the ball.......You cannot have your

veteran WR called for a OFFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE......

The team is down because of indisciplined play......Linemen don't hold their blocks until the whistle is blown.....Defensive guys don't finish their blocks and miss tackles....

508857[/snapback]

I think it is the coaching, and a work ethic and ethos that a certain type of player brings to the table. NE seems good at finding these kinds of guys. We have some, but not nearly enough up and down the roster.