King or Greer?

LaDairis

IIRC, Greer took McGee's place against KC. (Then again, since KC was throwing on just about every play, they were probably both on the field most of the time.)

King impressed the heck out of me in camp, but took a step back when the preseason games started. IMO he's got more raw talent than Greer, just needed time to adapt to NFL game speed....

"I would hope so."

and why is that?

BTW... from KFFL...

Bills | McGee very limited

Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:36:57 -0800

Buffalo Bills CB Terrence McGee (hamstring) was very limited in practice Thursday, Nov. 17, and remains questionable for Week 11.

You really want to be careful with hammies...

IIRC, Greer took McGee's place against KC. (Then again, since KC was throwing on just about every play, they were probably both on the field most of the time.)

King impressed the heck out of me in camp, but took a step back when the preseason games started. IMO he's got more raw talent than Greer, just needed time to adapt to NFL game speed....

506570[/snapback]

It is amazing how corners are "judged" by fans. A corner who gets 15 throws a game and picks off one is vastly superior to the corner who gets no throws... no stats = no good... and as to why he was not thrown at... well, maybe the announcers will explain that... and if they don't it is proof he sukks...

Eric King has been lockdown as nickel.

It is amazing how corners are "judged" by fans.  A corner who gets 15 throws a game and picks off one is vastly superior to the corner who gets no throws...  no stats = no good... and as to why he was not thrown at... well, maybe the announcers will explain that... and if they don't it is proof he sukks...

506575[/snapback]

Valid point; that was always the argument we made about Antoine Winfield's lack of INTs. And now, it seems like everybody goes after McGee instead of Clements - after leading the team in INTs the last four seasons, NC only has 1 so far this year.

Valid point; that was always the argument we made about Antoine Winfield's lack of INTs. And now, it seems like everybody goes after McGee instead of Clements - after leading the team in INTs the last four seasons, NC only has 1 so far this year.

506596[/snapback]

The Raiders paid a fortune for Larry Brown after he made some picks against the Steelers in the Super Bowl. The Raiders failed to notice that Deion was not getting any throws... against the other team's top WR... in single coverage...

Whoever makes that decision can't really make a mistake.

Jabari's a little leaner and perhaps has an edge in coverage and ability to intercept passes as well as blitz. King's built a little thicker and likes to head hunt and lay down the smack. He's more physical and durable than Jabari and pretty good in coverage as well, maybe not quite as good as Jabari . So, I look at it as a no lose situation. I don't think it's a situation as to who's the better CB. They both have their strengths and it will depend on the specific situation which one you use.

On a side note... the secondary is the strongest and deepest on the team. That, to me, speaks volumes for Coach Szabo. He gets my vote for the best assistant coach on the team.

It is amazing how corners are "judged" by fans.  A corner who gets 15 throws a game and picks off one is vastly superior to the corner who gets no throws...  no stats = no good... and as to why he was not thrown at... well, maybe the announcers will explain that... and if they don't it is proof he sukks...

506575[/snapback]

Judging the play of corner backs is probably the hardest position to judge who's playing well and who's not. Take last season for instance, according to The Book Football Scientist, former bronco Kelly Herndon was the best cb in the nfl last season, as he had the lowest pct of passes caught against him, and teams threw his way less then they threw at champ bailey. Now I'm sure if we were to have a discussion about top corners Kelly Herndon would never cross your mind.

Also take for instance Lito Sheppard gave up the fewest td's of any cb in the league who had 100 passes thrown his way. You can break down stats, pct of passes caught, yards against, td's against. How many passes thrown their way, but basically judging cornerback play seems to be nothing more then personal opinions. Now I don't sit and watch in slow motion our corners, but for as much love as terrence mcgee gets here and well deserved imo, he gets burned just as much. He's a good player and someone I'm glad we have locked up.

If Mcgee can't go I'd rather have King go. Get him his experience. I think he has stouter size to play corner at 5'8 185 then greer 5'11 169. Interchange if you must, but yeah I'd like to see the draftee play.

Judging the play of corner backs is probably the hardest position to judge who's playing well and who's not.  Take last season for instance, according to The Book  Football Scientist, former bronco Kelly Herndon was the best cb in the nfl last season, as  he had the lowest pct of passes caught against him, and teams threw his way less then they threw at champ bailey.  Now I'm sure if we were to have a discussion about top corners  Kelly Herndon would never cross your mind. 

Also take for instance Lito Sheppard gave up the fewest td's of any cb in the league who had 100 passes thrown his way.  You can break down stats, pct of passes caught, yards against, td's against. How many passes thrown their way, but basically judging cornerback play seems to be nothing more then personal opinions.  Now I don't sit and watch in slow motion our corners, but for as much love as terrence mcgee gets here and well deserved imo,  he gets burned just as much.  He's  a good player and someone I'm glad we have locked up.   

If Mcgee can't go I'd rather have King go.  Get him his experience.  I think he has stouter size to play corner at 5'8 185 then greer 5'11 169.  Interchange if you must, but yeah I'd like to see the draftee play.

507179[/snapback]

Yeah, the minor issue that Herndon got safety and lb zone help most of the time and Champ did not escaped the stats. When a team has one ace, the other corner usually gets help.

What King has is the instant ability to assess where the ball is going and explode to it. All great corners (and WRs) have that, and you can't teach it, just like you cannot teach being a great centerfielder. Size and 40 times can be very misleading at the corner position. Jammer of SD is a great example. While he is better now than he was his first two years (when he was regularly targeted and exploited), he still fails to properly adjust to the ball a lot. He was another pick right around Mike and McKinnie, with a similar outcome...