Rank the Conferences

Hirly5

After reading the arguments for everyones Top 10 ... I was curious to see how everyone ranks the conferences.

1. SEC

They have the most quality teams (Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, and LSU). They always beat up on each other. That is why I find it hard to think that Alabama can make it out undefeated.

2. ACC

They have four quality teams (Virginia Tech, Miami, Florida State, and BC). I would take Va Tech, Miami, and FSU against any other conferences top 3 teams in a game at a neutral site.

3. Pac-10

They have three quality teams (USC, UCLA, and Oregon). A lot of people bang on the Pac-10 for being soft. I know this ranking of the Pac-10 ahead of the Big 12 and Big 10 will draw the most criticism. I think the Pac-10 plays a different type of football but I dont think that it is soft.

4. Big 10

They have alot of average teams (PSU, OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Northwestern). I think they are down this year. All the teams just seem average and I couldnt see them beating some of the other teams on a neutral field.

5. Big 12

They have two or three teams (Texas, Texas Tech, and possibly Colorado). All the other teams in the conference are horrible. I dont even think Texas Tech or Colorado are a good team.

6. WAC

They have Fresno St and Boise St. They could compete with some of the teams but this is where you get into the second tier of teams

7. Big (L)East

This conference is a JOKE. All they have is West Virginia.

If you would like to see the conferences and records for yourself feel free to kick up this website: http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/standings.html

I look forward to everyones opinion. I already know I am gonna get banged on for putting the Pac-10 at 3.

I'd flop the top 2 and bottom 2, but I agree with your assessments overall

1. ACC- There are a few dogs in this conference, like every league, but their top teams are fast and physical. Miami, VT, and FSU would be a factor against anybody because of their speed. GT, BC, and Clemson are solid but unpredictable, and UNC is not a laugher anymore. The others are pretty much biding time until hoops starts.

2. SEC- Definitely the most depth, but the two top teams (Bama and Georgia) don't strike the fear of God into anybody. IMO, LSU is the best team in the conference. I don't know how they lost to UT, especially with a big lead, and playing in the first game in Baton Rouge post-Katrina.

3. PAC 10- USC is USC, and Oregon is as tough a place to play as anywhere. UCLA was not winning convincingly, but a good QB and RB can win you games. Arizona State is better than their record indicates. A 34-31 loss to LSU early on could have really jump-started their season had they won. Cal is a tough team who can hit. They are down this year as they find Aaron Rodgers Jr. Oregon State is above average and tough at home. The rest are dogs.

4. Big 10- I have watched so many Big 10 games this year. That's all we seem to get in the Northeast. I pretty much agree with your assessment. Penn State has proved themselves- they can play. Northwestern plays exciting games. But the teams keep beating each other, and I don't think it's because they're all good. OSU, NW, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, and Mich State are solid at best, but inconsistency rules in this conference.

5. Big 12- I am way down on this conference. Texas is as good as anybody. I can't see Texas Tech being a player on a national scene. They had their big game and laid an egg (confession: that was the only TT game I have seen this year.) Colorado is tough at home, and their 2 losses are quality: Miami and Texas. But after those teams, it is a sad state of affairs. Watching Oklahoma breeze through the conference and then get pummelled for the title two years in a row doesn't do the Big 12 any favors.

6. Big East- Top to bottom, they have more depth than the WAC. But this is a sad conference. WVU didn't belong on the same field as Virginia Tech, and that was at West Virginia.

7. WAC- Gets the nod over the Mountain West, because WAC has two good teams, while the MWC only has TCU. Fresno State is a good team. Their only loss is 37-34 at Oregon. Boise is athletic, but different when they are not on the blue turf. I think Fresno State could win the Big East if they played WVU at home.

Not even close guys. Here's how to compare, IMO:

SEC Big 10/11 ACC Pac 10 Big 12 Big East

1. Alabama Penn State Miami USC Texas WVU

2. LSU Ohio State Fla. St. Oregon TT USF (yeah, i know)

3. UGA Wisconsin VT UCLA Colorado Louisville

4. Auburn Michigan BC Cal Oklahoma Rutgers

5. Florida Northwestern UVA Arizona St Iowa State Pitt

6. S. Carolina Minnesota UNC Oregon St Nebraska ?????

7. UT/Vandy Iowa Clemson Stanford ???? ????

Based on this, here's how I rank them:

1. Big 10/11 - There isn't a deeper conference in America right now. I didn't even mention Michigan St, who beat ND at ND. Not to mention at the end of the year, PSU, OSU and Michigan are projected to have the 1-3 toughest schedules all year.

2. SEC - good D's beat good O's most of the time. Although there is no O around these parts , D's are good.

3. ACC - top-heavy. After VT, there isn't a real good team left.

4. Pac 10 - any conference where your co-leader can lose 52-7 is either A) really balanced and deep or B) has a ton of weak teams. Its USC and everyone else..

5. Big XII - only because Texas >> WVU. If it wasn't for Texas, this conference may be worse than the big east.

6. Big East - South Florida isn't a horrible team, people. They have no business in a BCS Bowl, and the fact that they may be the 2nd best team in this conference is sad, but hey, better than nothing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.