Gimme your top 5 Offensive Lines...

SDS

Well, those certainly stacked the odds against Philly.  Just about every time I watch them play I realize what a good Passing O-Line it is...McNabb usually has time to eat a sandwich before he throws, even when he stays in the pocket.  But they "never" run, so you won't see them show up in the top five of any rushing category.

496747[/snapback]

Agreed. I couldn't find a direct "QB-under-pressure" stat (I didn't look that hard, though) that would define/filter out a good "pass protection" vs. "run blocking" O-line. It has been said that pass protection is harder than run blocking, but the only direct stat that I could think of to measure that quickly was sacks, and Philly ranked 13th having given up 17 sacks. You would need an "average time allowed to throw" stat really. My "average time to find this info" stat is pretty low. :doh:

Agreed.  I couldn't find a direct "QB-under-pressure" stat (I didn't look that hard, though) that would define/filter out a good "pass protection" vs. "run blocking" O-line.  It has been said that pass protection is harder than run blocking, but the only direct stat that I could think of to measure that quickly was sacks, and Philly ranked 13th having given up 17 sacks. You would need an "average time allowed to throw" stat really.  My "average time to find this info" stat is pretty low. :doh:

496780[/snapback]

If you look at it as attempts/sack Philly jumps up to 8th, though agreeably not top 5. Tough to measure these things using just stats...especially without the "time allowed to throw" stat that you mention that doesn't exist.....

Philly's line is overrated IMO.  They ahve issues whent hey try to run, even when passing 75% of the time and having teams expect the pass rather then the run.

496854[/snapback]

Some lines are better at run-blocking, while others are better at pass protection. Forget reading the defense, Philly's line gives McNabb time to read War and Peace.

Good O-Line are built based on consistancy; consistancy with the "system", consistancy with the players, and consistancy with the coaches. Consistancy with ht eplayers includes both the starters and the developmental players, the backups.

IMHO the o-lies that examplify this characteristic are :

KC

Philly

Indy

Cinci

Denver

It is interesting to note that when I answered the "best D-Line" thread, 4 out of 5 were with the NFC, while looking here, 4 out of 5 are with the AFC.

It almost looks like the NFC are trying to build on that old addage that "Championships are won with a great Defense". The AFC has dominated the playoffs for the last few years, many times with offense. It is looking like the NFC is bringing back history from the NFL.

It seems all the good OL's mentioned have pretty good Qb's.

Then you look at some OL's that have RB's that get alot of Yards, Buffalo, Miami, Chicago, and Cleavland to name a few, but they have QB's no one would consider in the same class as the QB's of Indy, KC, Pitt, Philly and so on..

Just something to think about. Im not debating whether or not the OL's mentioned are the best or not, i just think having a QB that makes plays can sometimes mask a problem, cough cough Doug Flutie when he was here.

Two guys that were supposed to be good players on the OL's they left, Rick DeMulling and Kendrick Vincent are stinking it up elsewhere.

My conclusion is, Ide take Peyton Manning over Walter Jones any day of the week.