There is never a good time to start playing JP

I've been hearing the debates on both sides about whether to start JP Losman at QB or stick with Kelly Holcomb.  The jist of the Holcomb arguement is that the veteran should play as long as the Bills have hope.

Fine.  Let's go with that.  The Bills play Holcomb until it's obvious they are out of it.  Considering the way the AFC East is shaking out.  The Bills may not be out of it until the last week or two, if at all.  So JP doesn't get to play in 2005.

Now it's 2006.  Can't start JP because you are throwing in the towel.  Okay, so 2006 is out.

So your QB of the future is growing roots on the sideline.  Why did we trade draft picks for him if we aren't going to find out if he can play?  Well JP had 4 games to prove himself, you say.  Take a look at the first 4 games played by any QB who is now dominating the NFL, and I'll bet most of them looked worse than JP. 

I may be in the minority, but I think the Bills are only hurting their future playing Holcomb.

PTR

493502[/snapback]

I agree wholeheartedly. We obviously arent going too far this season, so take out lumps with JP. But i've been sayign this since the beginning, and was kinda pissed when holcomb got inserted as the starter.

many of us agree with you. the problem is one loudmouth, or loud"arm" is so full of hot air that sometimes hes the only one heard.

Your assumption that McGahee is more of a Bam Morris type than a Tomlinson/Alexander type is unfair.

I very much understand what McGahhe has overcome injury wise. I give the guy my utmost respect and accolades for making a very tough comeback. He deserves credit for that.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I'm only going on what I've witnessed. At the end of the year he will have, essentially 2 years as a starter under his built. Trust me... at the end of the season I'll be back and I'll run a statistical comparison of Willis and the other 4 elite backs production in their 2nd season only. Except for Holmes, who played his first 4 seasons in Baltimore I think you are going a clear separation between Willis and the other three. And even Holmes caught 43 balls in his 2nd season (as a Raven).

I'm not trying to be cruel in regards to Willis... just truthful... like most knowledgeable Bills fans would treat him if he were not a Buffalo Bill. And his style is more reminiscnet of a "battering ram" type running back("Bam" Morris, "Bam" Cunningham) than it is a "Ferrari" type back. There is a very clear reason why those 4 elite backs stay in the game on third down. And, there is a very clear reason why McGahee does not stay in the game on third down... unless we're taliking extreme short yardage. When his own coaching staff trusts him enough and gives him an endorsement as an elite back, then I will certainly then I'll, perhaps, change my tune.

I very much understand what McGahhe has overcome injury wise.  I give the guy my utmost respect and accolades for making a very tough comeback.  He deserves credit for that.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I'm only going on what I've witnessed.  At the end of the year he will have, essentially 2 years as a starter under his built.  Trust me... at the end of the season I'll be back and I'll run a statistical comparison of Willis and the other 4 elite backs production in their 2nd season only.  Except for Holmes, who played his first 4 seasons in Baltimore I think you are going a clear separation between Willis and the other three.  And even Holmes caught 43 balls in his 2nd season (as a Raven).

I'm not trying to be cruel in regards to Willis... just truthful... like most knowledgeable Bills fans would treat him if he were not a Buffalo Bill.  And his style is more reminiscnet of a "battering ram" type running back("Bam" Morris, "Bam" Cunningham) than it is a "Ferrari" type back.  There is a very clear reason why those 4 elite backs stay in the game on third down.  And, there is a very clear reason why McGahee does not stay in the game on third down... unless we're taliking extreme short yardage.  When his own coaching staff trusts him enough and gives him an endorsement as an elite back, then I will certainly then I'll, perhaps, change my tune.

493767[/snapback]

Fair enough, but I won't be jumping on this bandwagon any earlier than the first half of next season. An injury that devastating takes more time than you are allowing...IMO.

I would like to add that our inept O-line is making it impossible to judge our QB's fairly. I think if TD actually went out and got some good O-line beef, JP would no longer have that (overused and meaningless cliche) deer-in-the-headlights look.

PTR

yes, this is an excellent point...other than a case of happy feet early this season, he has been solid, and only figures to get better. imo, his biggest liability is that he needs to grow up a little, but whatever. he has that in common with half the league i suppose...

As fans it's easy for us to say the heck with this season, start JP to prepare him for the future ...... because our jobs do not hinge on the Bills win/loss record. I'm pretty sure TD/MM/and the rest of the staff would rather go 8 - 8 or 9 - 7 with a hope of a future, than go something like 4 - 12 and have JP ready for some other coaches "future".

493559[/snapback]

they get big fat guaranteed contracts to make the tough calls.