OT: NYS Gun Laws

mcjeff215

Don't know where else to ask... sorry for the OT, really.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of out-of-state pistol permits that NYS recognizes? I've been thinking about doing deer season up there this year, and would like to bring a .44 along.

In GA, I don't need a permit to own a pistol. I've gone ahead and gotten one anyways as it negates the need for a background check while buying firearms. Does anyone know if NYS honors that permit? If not, do they have a non-resident firearms permit?

If I remember right, one needs to have a permit to even own a hand gun up there. Here's hoping they'll honor mine!

Thanks,

Jeff

Don't know where else to ask... sorry for the OT, really.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of out-of-state pistol permits that NYS recognizes?  I've been  thinking about doing deer season up there this year, and would like to bring a .44 along.

In GA, I don't need a permit to own a pistol.  I've gone ahead and gotten one anyways as it negates the need for a background check while buying firearms.   Does anyone know if NYS honors that permit? If not, do they have a non-resident firearms permit?

If I remember right, one needs to have a permit to even own a hand gun up there.  Here's hoping they'll honor mine!

Thanks,

Jeff

1654[/snapback]

NYS state currently has no reciprocity laws on the books. You will not be carrying your .44 legally in the state. Without a NYS permit, it is illegal to even possess a handgun in your own home.

As a non-resident you are not eligible for a permit.

NYS state currently has no reciprocity laws on the books.  You will not be carrying your .44 legally in the state.  Without a NYS permit, it is illegal to even possess a handgun in your own home.

As a non-resident you are not eligible for a permit.

1657[/snapback]

Oh. Well. Suck. I was hoping there was a reciprocal agreement or an out-of-towner permit. I guess the .44 is going to stay home. Bah... I miss my home town one hell of a lot, but at the same time, the politics up there are fairly lame.

Oh. Well. Suck.    I was hoping there was a reciprocal agreement or an out-of-towner permit.  I guess the .44 is going to stay home.  Bah... I miss my home town one hell of a lot, but at the same time, the politics up there are fairly lame.

1660[/snapback]

There are 13 states that currently honor NY's permit (including Alaska). It's amazing to me that NY honors none.

Alaska currently has reciprocity with 19 states (including Georgia) and 5 other states honor our permit.

Oh. Well. Suck.    I was hoping there was a reciprocal agreement or an out-of-towner permit.  I guess the .44 is going to stay home.  Bah... I miss my home town one hell of a lot, but at the same time, the politics up there are fairly lame.

1660[/snapback]

What's wrong with using a good old 12 gauge.

Works for me. :D

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo...t=500&password=

What's wrong with using a good old 12 gauge.

Works for me.  :D

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo...t=500&password=

1718[/snapback]

Oh nothing at all! Just figured a .44 would make it a bit more interesting! I did a bit more reading on NYS's permit system... ouch. If I'm reading this right, you need a "dangerous job" to even own a pistol in NYC?

Like I said earlier.. I love the area, the people, the food, the sports, everything... except the government. Talk about stupid laws and overtaxation.

Man.. GA is great. Walk in to the store and plunk down yer change.. tell 'em ya want the purdy one. Walk out with it. The permit is simply for concealed carry (and no more background checks now that I've got it).

Archived