How the Bills Can Win on Sunday

JDG

The Raiders were a bad 1-4team and had two secondary starters go down early in the game last week, and our bone headed brain trust still " dinked" and "doinked" 3 yrd passes down the field.......whats that tell you?......Pats.......42    Bills.....3

I think that one myth that Bills fans have is that "the Raiders were a bad 1-4 team". Indeed, many Bills seem to indicate that they considered the Raiders to be an inferior team. Well, if the Bills had played a cross-country game @New England, Kansas City, @Philadelphia, Dallas, and San Diego I think that we would be fortunate to be a 1-4 team. I would not be surprised to see the Raiders have a similar or better record to us at the end of the year, and I certainly do not believe that the Raiders are in the same class as Houston, San Francisco, Minnesota, and Arizona as "bad teams."

Also, yes the Raiders' secondary was banged up - but the Raiders' pass rush was not. The lack of pass protection clearly limited Buffalo's ability to call long passes. Also, long passing plays either produce quick strikes or else three-and-outs; both of which put our inept defense back on the field quickly. A much sounder game plan was to throw the occasional deep pass to keep the Raiders honest, but to otherwise try and control the ball and keep our defense off the field. Unfortunately, "the best back in the NFL" averaged three yards a carry, which started to put the kibosh on all that.... but I think that it was the right decision by the Bills' brain trust to take that approach.

JDG

For those of you who think NE "just isn't that good" -

I'm sorry to sound like a jerk, but do you guys pay ANY attention to who our rivals are playing or do you just peak at the standings in the paper?  When you saw NE's schedule for the 1st 6 games what did you realistically expect?  Would ANYBODY including the Colts be better than 4-2 at this point with their schedule?  They've played 4 freaking road games in Carolina, Pittsburgh, ATL, and Denver. 

The gave the Broncos a hell of a scare after falling behind 28-6.  Most teams including the Bills would just roll over and quit when facing that kind of margin on the road.

486722[/snapback]

Very true. Schedule is one of the reasons I remain pretty pessimistic about the Bills. Who have they beaten? Houston, Miami and the Jets....3 teams in the bottom quarter of the league. The schedule gets much harder from here and the Bills haven't shown much to make me think they can beat better competition.