Daytona Biketoberfest

Terry Tate

Got a scooter? Like rallies? I can see why. Biketoberfest is taking place in Daytona beach this weekend. It's like the regular bike week event, but only for a few days. Last night was the first time I had been to one of these, pretty neat event. ZZ Top canceled all Florida events due to hurricane Wilma (still far enough away that it didn't even rain last night), but the Blue Oyster Cult, Foghat, and other free concerts are going on as planned. Yeah, they're old, but so are most of the bikers. Every bar has it's own live bands from the local area and across the country.

Thousands and thousands of bikes of all make and model to see; pretty interesting. There was no shortage of custom makes, either (btw, Jesse James and Orange County Choppers were here, but there's local custom bike makers too). There were some really cool looking custom designs, but the thing that really stood out to me were the Boss Hoss bikes - custom made bikes with chevy small block v8's in them. Now that is something to see.

Daytona has cracked down on the public nudity and banned thongs; I don't know about where I was in Ormond Beach (couple miles north on US1), but I can verify there were boobies to be seen. Some I could've done without, and some that I didn't mind at all. Including a bar maid at one of the outdoor bars at the Hog Pen with a, uh, top that was made of paint only. And yes, they were magnificent.

With all the people there, no one was rude to us (eh, I should make an exception for the "drown the clown" dunk tank guy, but he wasn't speaking directly to us, just some guys who apparently live an alternative lifestyle, and who's mothers all coincidentally know the clown in an intimate manner), I didn't see a single fight, and everyone I saw looked like they were just enjoying themselves. I've never seen that many people in one place where I could say that before. All the bars post signs stating "No colors. No attitudes." Don't think you're going to walk into the Outlaws' house and ask them how to join and you'll be fine.

So come on down in the spring for bike week. I think you'll like it.

Got a scooter? Like rallies? I can see why. Biketoberfest is taking place in Daytona beach this weekend. It's like the regular bike week event, but only for a few days. Last night was the first time I had been to one of these, pretty neat event. ZZ Top canceled all Florida events due to hurricane Wilma (still far enough away that it didn't even rain last night), but the Blue Oyster Cult, Foghat, and other free concerts are going on as planned. Yeah, they're old, but so are most of the bikers. Every bar has it's own live bands from the local area and across the country.

Thousands and thousands of bikes of all make and model to see; pretty interesting. There was no shortage of custom makes, either (btw, Jesse James and Orange County Choppers were here, but there's local custom bike makers too). There were some really cool looking custom designs, but the thing that really stood out to me were the Boss Hoss bikes - custom made bikes with chevy small block v8's in them. Now that is something to see.

Daytona has cracked down on the public nudity and banned thongs; I don't know about where I was in Ormond Beach (couple miles north on US1), but I can verify there were boobies to be seen. Some I could've done without, and some that I didn't mind at all. Including a bar maid at one of the outdoor bars at the Hog Pen with a, uh, top that was made of paint only. And yes, they were magnificent.

With all the people there, no one was rude to us (eh, I should make an exception for the "drown the clown" dunk tank guy, but he wasn't speaking directly to us, just some guys who apparently live an alternative lifestyle, and who's mothers all coincidentally know the clown in an intimate manner), I didn't see a single fight, and everyone I saw looked like they were just enjoying themselves. I've never seen that many people in one place where I could say that before. All the bars post signs stating "No colors. No attitudes." Don't think you're going to walk into the Outlaws' house and ask them how to join and you'll be fine.

So come on down in the spring for bike week. I think you'll like it.

482867[/snapback]

I remember being in Milwaukee for Harley-Davidson's 95th Anniversary celebration. That was a blast. A few got rowdy, but for the most part everyone was cool.