Lock up McGee

Frez

I wouldn't mind that at all.

One better - "McGee and Clements sign extensions with Bills"

477335[/snapback]

I hate to say this, but I realized today that we are going to lose McGee also when his contract is up. He is going to get an offer in the ballpark of Clements', ie $15-$18 million bonus, the bills are not going to match, and that is the end of the story. Which means the bills are going to lose 3 outstanding DBs at their respective peaks in 4 years.

Clements is a somewhat better on D than McGee (although McGee is pretty solid), but McGee is definitely in the top 3 kick returners in the NFL and maybe #1. That puts them in the same contract ballpark, IMHO.

It really sucks, but I also think this is the right decision -- it's just too much cap space to allocate to a DB.

In the meantime, he is great to watch returning kicks, isn't he?

Nate was the only DB that was unrestricted this year. But we can franchise him for next year if we so choose. McGee will be alot cheaper to sign, IMO. We really need to let King get more reps in so he can fill Nate's spot when he finally leaves.

Clements is getting beat a lot this year--he's hardly the shutdown corner I used to think he is. Definitely not worth the top 2-3 corners in the league.

477650[/snapback]

I agree with that assessment. I'm tired of Clements. He gets burned way too much. McGee is the better corner right now, and way more valuable to the team.

I hate to say this, but I realized today that we are going to lose McGee also when his contract is up.  He is going to get an offer in the ballpark of Clements', ie $15-$18 million bonus, the bills are not going to match, and that is the end of the story.  Which means the bills are going to lose 3 outstanding DBs at their respective peaks in 4 years.

Clements is a somewhat better on D than McGee (although McGee is pretty solid), but McGee is definitely in the top 3 kick returners in the NFL and maybe #1.  That puts them in the same contract ballpark, IMHO.

It really sucks, but I also think this is the right decision -- it's just too much cap space to allocate to a DB.

In the meantime, he is great to watch returning kicks, isn't he?

477502[/snapback]

I would have to disagree that Clements is better.

Week after week I am now seeing McGee make great plays and Clements be a bonehead.