Bledsoe looking SOLID: again!

Buffan00

I know that you have a point (you usually do)...but I can't find it.  Pretend I'm stoopid (no great acting feat, there) and 'splain what you mean, please.

Thanks

:rolleyes:

472318[/snapback]

Merely that point production is the major achilles heel of the 2005 Bills and it was a strength of our offense over the second half of 2004.

You're correct that (like every QB) Bledsoe has his warts, and surely he's no fit for a team with poor pass blocking, but even with all the awful things about his game he was productive here. Lack of productivity at the QB spot has been tough on all the other areas of our team to date in 2005. We look like we can muster enough D to win if we can get 20-25 first downs from the offense; those measures were easily met by the Bledsoe offenses on most Sundays.

We'll ultimately be better off, but I think maybe for a little bit different reason. Right now we might very well have a better record had we kept Bledsoe, because even with all those warts he does have a weapon that complements our WR squad much more so than the Cowboys IMO. At the same time the 2005 Bills have too many roster holes to be considered a threat in the post season. The prudent thing is to give the best effort we can to get in position to win, as the coaching staff finally did this past Sunday. And make no mistake about it- the coaching staff has Losman sitting to make him sit in the pocket. After all the speculation about how a mobile QB would help out our offense and make better use of our weapons, the coaching staff has decided they need to turn JP Losman into- well-- Drew Bledsoe!

Bledsoe/Losman seems to be a perfect example of "be careful what you wish for". In my mind our coaches blew it by "wishing for" a mobile QB, and as a result they encouraged JP to run. It took them a few weeks of regular season starts to realize what a huge error that was, but they're apparently through it. Now we'll have to wait and see how many weeks JP has to sit and watch someone throw from the pocket before they'll try him out again.

And the bad news all the way around is that the jackasses on this board who continue to spew hatred of a QB who played for us prove week after week just how little they understand the position by their need for continued attacks against a guy who seems to have landed himself in a good spot for himself and his toolbox. And since I'm hesitant to feel sympathetic towards anyone with a star on their uniform I'll confine my sympathy to the poor kids trying to make something happen with our current offense- it seems just a matter of weeks before the hate spewers will pick up their banners of vile to begin maligning another quarterback wearing a Bill's uni. Ignorance remains among the greatest of the shames.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Merely that point production is the major achilles heel of the 2005 Bills and it was a strength of our offense over the second half of 2004.

You're correct that (like every QB) Bledsoe has his warts, and surely he's no fit for a team with poor pass blocking, but even with all the awful things about his game he was productive here. Lack of productivity at the QB spot has been tough on all the other areas of our team to date in 2005. We look like we can muster enough D to win if we can get 20-25 first downs from the offense; those measures were easily met by the Bledsoe offenses on most Sundays.

We'll ultimately be better off, but I think maybe for a little bit different reason. Right now we might very well have a better record had we kept Bledsoe, because even with all those warts he does have a weapon that complements our WR squad much more so than the Cowboys IMO. At the same time the 2005 Bills have too many roster holes to be considered a threat in the post season. The prudent thing  is to give the best effort we can to get in position to win, as the coaching staff finally did this past Sunday.

Bledsoe/Losman seems to be a perfect example of "be careful what you wish for". In my mind our coaches blew it by "wishing for" a mobile QB, and they encouraged JP to run. It took them a few weeks of regular season starts to realize what a huge error that was, but they're apparently through it. Now we'll have to wait and see how many weeks JP has to sit and watch someone throw from the pocket before they'll try him out again.

And the bad news all the way around is that the jackasses on this board who continue to spew hatred of a QB who played for us prove week after week just how little they understand the position by their need for continued attacks against a guy who seems to have landed himself in a good spot for himself and his toolbox. And since I'm hesitant to feel sympathetic towards anyone with a star on their uniform I'll confine my sympathy to the poor kids trying to make something happen with our current offense- it seems just a matter of weeks before the hate spewers will pick up their banners of vile to begin maligning another quarterback wearing a Bill's uni. Ignorance is one of the greatest of the shames.

472364[/snapback]

I see...and I agree, for the most part. I don't think the Bills would have two wins with DB and THIS line. Remember, right now, our line is worse than anything we fielded last year. I don't think Drew's weapon would have been a factor in the last few games as he sold have spent most of them on his backside. When we get some of these guys back and have a few consecutive games with the same OL I think you'll see an increase in our offensive production no matter who's at QB. Of course, I only predict this if the Bills commit to running the damn ball!

I'll flip your question around and ask:

Could somebody please answer me this...Why does anyone feel the need to still bash Bledsoe?  So what if he gets praised here at TBD?  He's a goddam Cowboy and the Cowboys suck...every last one of them including their coach and owner.

The bashers didn't mind starting threads during the first preseason game about how badly he played, and even started threads after one of the first plays of the first regular season game.  But when he plays well, nobody should talk about him?  :pirate:

CW

472026[/snapback]

I guess since the Flutie/Johnson debate still crops up from time to time, it is to be expected that DB, his performances as a Cowboy and whether he should still be a Bill, will be rehashed from time to time.

To each their own.

The analogy to be made is with the Minnesota Vikings. Do you think they are a better team TODAY without Moss? Nope. Was the right thing to do for the long haul. Same thing can be said about Bledsoe. The team is worse off TODAY, though long term it was the right thing to do.

I believe most of the frustration, including mine is that the Bills continue to tweak the team such that every year is a rebuilding year.

The analogy to be made is with the Minnesota Vikings.  Do you think they are a better team TODAY without Moss?  Nope.  Was the right thing to do for the long haul.  Same thing can be said about Bledsoe.  The team is worse off TODAY, though long term it was the right thing to do.

I believe most of the frustration, including mine is that the Bills continue to tweak the team such that every year is a rebuilding year.

473127[/snapback]

But the key point is we don't care about long term; we went 9-7 last year, were on the brink of making the playoffs, the time to win is THIS YEAR. We might still be able to make something of the season (thank goodness all three losses were against the NFC!), but we're not in a rebuilding mode, we're in a "Win Now" mode. After this year, the team will be completely different. We were poised to win now, which was why I was in favor of keeping DB for one last year and starting JPL in '06.

CW

But the key point is we don't care about long term; we went 9-7 last year, were on the brink of making the playoffs, the time to win is THIS YEAR.  We might still be able to make something of the season (thank goodness all three losses were against the NFC!), but we're not in a rebuilding mode, we're in a "Win Now" mode.  After this year, the team will be completely different.  We were poised to win now, which was why I was in favor of keeping DB for one last year and starting JPL in '06.

CW

473144[/snapback]

I agree with you. But I think TD thought that we were not ready to win now, and decided to go with JPL this season with KH and SM as the backups. Unfortunately, JPL was not quite ready, and KH will be the QB for 05. We might still get to the playoffs, but it is not because we cut Bledsoe.

I agree with you.  But I think TD thought that we were not ready to win now, and decided to go with JPL this season with KH and SM as the backups.  Unfortunately, JPL was not quite ready, and KH will be the QB for 05. We might still get to the playoffs, but it is not because we cut Bledsoe.

473148[/snapback]

DB would be eating carpet with the Bills this year. IMO our chances of winning with him this year (given our OL woes) would be nil.

DB would be eating carpet with the Bills this year.  IMO our chances of winning with him this year (given our OL woes) would be nil.

473173[/snapback]

See, I disagree with that assessment. For example, we took several shots downfield against the Falcons at the start of the game. JPL missed them all, but that's Drew's bread and butter - no way does he overthrow all of those passes. I believe we would've won that game.

The Saints game is the same thing -- we took our shots, the ball was nowhere near the receivers, but I think DB would've gotten us those as well.

We would've lost the TB game, but I believe we would be 3-2 or 4-1 right now if we had kept the QB in there. No way to know for sure, but I've stated why I think that's true, even with our current OL.

CW

See, I disagree with that assessment.  For example, we took several shots downfield against the Falcons at the start of the game.  JPL missed them all, but that's Drew's bread and butter - no way does he overthrow all of those passes.  I believe we would've won that game.

The Saints game is the same thing -- we took our shots, the ball was nowhere near the receivers, but I think DB would've gotten us those as well.

We would've lost the TB game, but I believe we would be 3-2 or 4-1 right now if we had kept the QB in there.  No way to know for sure, but I've stated why I think that's true, even with our current OL.

CW

473176[/snapback]

DB never even gets the throw off, IMO. JP buys time (and then makes an innacurate throw)...DB buys NO time. With DB, Miami would have just killed us IMO. KH got rid of the Ball very quickly and made accurate short throws. DB does neither of those things well.

DB never even gets the throw off, IMO.  JP buys time (and then makes an innacurate throw)...DB buys NO time.  With DB, Miami would have just killed us IMO.  KH got rid of the Ball very quickly and made accurate short throws. DB does neither of those things well.

473183[/snapback]

Have you watched any Cowboys games this year? He's been moving around well, throwing screen passes (!!!) well, and even has a rushing TD.

Then again, maybe you're right -- maybe he took the cut as a wakeup call and wouldn't have done those things here.

CW

Have you watched any Cowboys games this year?  He's been moving around well, throwing screen passes (!!!) well, and even has a rushing TD.

Then again, maybe you're right -- maybe he took the cut as a wakeup call and wouldn't have done those things here.

CW

473193[/snapback]

Well you may be right, too. But, his confidence is obviously better in Dallas...I believe because he has much better protection, as a rule. Drew rattles and that confidence goes south after he takes a beating. I think he'd take a beating here.

But I DID notice him throwing a decent screen pass. What's up with that?