Draft Selections And Ticket Sales

Does anybody think that when TD drafted players such as Losman, Reed, Evans and Parrish, increased ticket sales entered into his thinking to any large degree?

After all, these guys are more exciting than a solid Guard.

I am very curious as to what you guys think about this.

463142[/snapback]

Yes - TD is about sales, not winning...In Pittsburgh when he had to work with Cower, he made football moves. In Buffalo, he's making business moves...

Does anybody think that when TD drafted players such as Losman, Reed, Evans and Parrish, increased ticket sales entered into his thinking to any large degree?

463142[/snapback]

This has been talked about a few other places.

Yes. It's to play on hopes and sell seasons. I've been quietly yelling about the management philosophy in Buffalo for a while. As far as I'm concerned, take the radiator cap and drive a new car underneath it. Little has been done to rebuild this team into a consistent contending NFL force, and now it's such a morass that it will probably take another 5 years to get out of it.

Change the management and supporting cast, and invest some money in some real performers, instead of Pittsburgh cast offs. Go back to basics and build a line on both sides of the ball. Teams that play fundamentally sound football with basic things like an OFFENSIVE LINE tend to win football games. Power smash mouth running game? Sure, lets draft a couple more minature wide receivers.

463142[/snapback]

Who knows what is going on behind closed doors at OBD, but this certainly is a believable scenario. Add to it a coach with an offensive background, whose head is spinning with gadget plays and in general a passing attack and all of a sudden you find yourself enarored with the skill positions.

463142[/snapback]

Is your thought that TD's convinced that Buffalo fans will only be compelled to come to the stadium if they can recreate the Bills of the early 90's?

I kind of doubt it. Ticket sales were solid last year even though they were a team based on special teams and defense. W's should be his prime focus if he wants good box office - I think ultimately that's what brings fans to the stadium.

If a team with say a good offensive line were in place, the skill position players around them will be that much better and the fantasy football type fans wouldn't know the difference and find it just as exciting.

Is your thought that TD's convinced that Buffalo fans will only be compelled to come to the stadium if they can recreate the Bills of the early 90's?

I kind of doubt it. Ticket sales were solid last year even though they were a team based on special teams and defense. W's should be his prime focus if he wants good box office - I think ultimately that's what brings fans to the stadium.

If a team with say a good offensive line were in place, the skill position players around them will be that much better and the fantasy football type fans wouldn't know the difference and find it just as exciting.

463201[/snapback]

Just as exciting? What in the Hell is exciting about the BIlls this year? The turnovers? The Celebration of Champions at the home opener? Pinch me - I must be living a dream, my favorite team is laughable...Wow - let me run out and get some Miami tix for next Sunday - maybe we'll be retiring Joe Dufeks number on the wall and having free beer with every touchdown scored....

You sell more jerseys and merchandise with skill position players

463216[/snapback]

I don't think so. Urlacher had the top selling shirt in the NFL at last check. Plus, those revenues are shared leaguewide.

I don't think so. Urlacher had the top selling shirt in the NFL at last check. Plus, those revenues are shared leaguewide.

463224[/snapback]

Well, Urlacher is not a blocker. Also, I think both of us might want to sadly admit that the fact that he is white is helping to sell those shirts.

Well, Urlacher is not a blocker. Also, I think both of us might want to sadly admit that the fact that he is white is helping to sell those shirts.

463235[/snapback]

Agreed onboth counts Bill, but selling shirts puts money in the pocket of NFL properties, of which Wilson gets 1/32...it doesn't make any sense that Donahoe is drafting WR and RB with the idea to sell shirts to help the desperate bottom line, which seemed like newbie's point unless I'm really confused.

Winning is the ultimate promotion for ticket sales. I expect TD understands that. Has he devoted too many of his resources to skill players? Yes, but not to sell shirts or create excitement, but because he has made mistakes as the GM (either philosophically or with the particular players he has acquired or both - let 70 other threads go through the particulars of which).