A culprit on pass blocking breakdowns:

RuntheDamnBall

It's Willis. He definitely has whiffed on a few blocks, leading to sacks this year. Latest example comes in the first drive of the ATL game, they're on second down in ATL territory, and Willis lets the blitzer go by without even grazing his jersey. Maybe the design of the play was to release immediately, I don't know, but it just seems like there have been a few moments where a blitzer in Willis' pattern has gone right by and forced JP to take a sack or throw it away.

Nothing against Willis and I am beginning to wonder more if it's a function of our RB coaching, I just thought I'd point it out. Love the guy as a runner, hope to see more from him as a complete back catching the ball and making more blocks.

Not just Willis.  Anyone watching the game Sunday saw Shaud "Mr. 3rd Down" Williams blow a huge blitz p/u that resulted in JP getting almost killed.  Wtf has Gates been by the way?  Did he dress?

456261[/snapback]

Lionel Gates was inactive for the Falcons game.

I wish they would activate him, give him a few carries, especially when Willis "needs to catch his breath"...

When it comes to shabby blitz pickups, the departed Mr Henry was super-bad!

I wish they would activate him, give him a few carries, especially when Willis "needs to catch his breath"...

456282[/snapback]

Yeah it would be good to find a way to get Lionel on the field a couple of plays per game. Shaud Williams is a 3rd down RB only. I'd like to see more of a threat from our backup RB on gameday... Is there a case to sit Joe Burns a few games to free the spot for Gates??

Yeah but I noticed a couple times yesterday when he did pick up the blitz quite well, even one time when he went low on the guy and totally took him out. The dude woulda killed JP coming from the blindside.

456237[/snapback]

One of my highpoints for the game. Sent the guy airborn.

When it comes to shabby blitz pickups, the departed Mr Henry was super-bad!

456282[/snapback]

The blitz pick-up play of all the Bills RBs both current and recent past makes me long for the good ol days when Thurman did the job consistently and well for the Bills.

The younger players simply are not there yet.

It's Willis.  He definitely has whiffed on a few blocks, leading to sacks this year.  Latest example comes in the first drive of the ATL game, they're on second down in ATL territory, and Willis lets the blitzer go by without even grazing his jersey.  Maybe the design of the play was to release immediately, I don't know, but it just seems like there have been a few moments where a blitzer in Willis' pattern has gone right by and forced JP to take a sack or throw it away.

456233[/snapback]

It would appear that Willis was the primary receiver on that play, which is why he let the guy go. It was another of those designed rollouts where JP dumps the ball off to a guy 5 yards in front of him (I've seen enough of this play to last me a lifetime). Of course, a LB picked him up so JP had no place to go with it and instead of throwing the ball away (like he should have) he decided to try and make the DE miss. Bad decision. Willis hasn't been great on blitz pickup, but I tag that sack on JP, not Willis.