JP patting the ball

Dennis in NC

The Fox announcers talked about how JP patted the ball (once) just before he threw the INT, and how that gesture telegraphs the QB's actions to the defenders.

Now, where would JP have learned a bad habit like that from, hmmmm?

I have never noticed him do it, maybe it was just that once. I have never looked for it though.

Has anyone noticed JP pat the ball?

The Fox announcers talked about how JP patted the ball (once) just before he threw the INT, and how that gesture telegraphs the QB's actions to the defenders.

I have never noticed him do it, maybe it was just that once. I have never looked for it though.

456088[/snapback]

More importantly on that play you could see Losman try to "steer" the ball rather than throw it.

Right now Losman has a bad habit of locking onto his receivers and not checking down. He'll learn, but the whole pat thing, etc.. are part of the growing.

The pat thing with Bledsoe was, I believe, a technique for checking through the receivers, kind of like a piano player that bobs his head to the beat. As he patted he was actually scanning to the next receiver in the progression.

456088[/snapback]

Are they really "patting" the ball? It looks to me like they rooster the arm back just before launching it but then, when they change their mind and decide to go to another receiver, they bring it down briefly holding it with two hands while they re-load and re-aim thereby keeping the ball safe until they are ready to fire it. I think they are taught to minimize the amount of time they have the ball in just one hand so as to help prevent fumbles.

JP admitted he is still hesitating before he throws the ball. He is afraid to throw INT's and make mistakes. That is the coaching staff's fault. I actually think he did too much studying in the off season and had too many meetings with Sam Wyche and watched too much film in the preseason and it was drilled into his head that he can't make mistakes and is suffering for it now. He is trying to be perfect and it is costing him big time. The only way to learn is to go out there and say to hell with it and let it rip. Throw it 50 times. If he has 5 or 6 INT's, so what? Playing the actual game is different from practice or watching film, alot of it is just instinct and reaction. Once JP lets that take over, he will be eventually get better.