Bills must play to win NOW not in the future

Mr. T

Let me say I was like many of you concerning JP, I wanted him to prove most people wrong and hoped he would not play like a rookie. Reality check - he is playing like a poor rookie. However, I don't buy into the thinking that we need to let him grow into the position. That's plain stupid!

In today's NFL you simply don't have the time to groom a QB. The pieces of your team are never around long enough to afford you that. Let's face it we are getting old in a lot of key places. Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy, Troy Vincent, London Fletcher all aren't getting any younger.

Add to that Free Agency. Nate Clements and oh by the way McGahee won't be around to see the day when JP finally, if ever comes around to being a decent QB. In addition, we tank the season away and see how many FA show interest in coming to frigid Buffalo.

This team is positioned to win NOW. And the Bills have to put the best product on the field to win each Sunday, NOW! JP is not the best product to do that. He's already got the entire offense playing with NO confidence. And I convinced that's rubbing off on the defense.

I say give Holcomb a shot before the season is a total loss. Waiting around for JP to gain his much needed experience is at the expense of the entire team. A team that won't be around when things finally click. By then what we'll have is a QB with no running game, no decent recievers, and a rebuilding defense. Sorry but I'm not looking forward to that>

Waiting around for JP to gain his much needed experience is at the expense of the entire team.  A team that won't be around when things finally click.  By then what we'll have is a QB with no running game, no decent recievers, and a rebuilding defense.  Sorry but I'm not looking forward to that>

456085[/snapback]

So the Bills aren't going to replace the older players or ones who leave via F/A with other F/A's or draft picks? Did you also consider that some of the "aging" vets on the team, may not have very much left in the tank right now?

Tell that to cincy. :devil:

456087[/snapback]

Each team's situation is different based on their own personnel. Again, we are either getting old at too many positions and have too many key players possibly leaving via FA within the next year to wait around for JP to grow into a Carson Palmer. Remember it's taken Palmer 3 years. What or do we have left in 3 years?

So the Bills aren't going to replace the older players or ones who leave via F/A with other F/A's or draft picks?  Did you also consider that some of the "aging" vets on the team, may not  have very much left in the tank right now?

456091[/snapback]

Problem with this way of thinking is not recognising that every new FA and every draft pick brings uncertainty. You don't know what your getting. Some work out, many don't. We only know what we got NOW.

We only know what we got NOW.

456096[/snapback]

Maybe we don't know what we have. How are high profile guys like Milloy, Vincent, Fletcher, Moulds, Villarial, Adams, Posey, Schobel, Shelton & Teague grading out every week at OBD? Maybe their play on the field isn't equivalent to how they good they look on the depth chart. This is our veteran leadership.

Each team's situation is different based on their own personnel.  Again, we are either getting old at too many positions and have too many key players possibly leaving via FA within the next year to wait around for JP to grow into a Carson Palmer.  Remember it's taken Palmer 3 years.  What or do we have left in 3 years?

456092[/snapback]

3 years sounds about right. Pennington and Brady sat for 2+ years. Most recent qbs who start earlier havn't seemed to pan out.

For arguments sake let’s just say Kelly Holcomb's play is either slightly worse, equal, or slightly better then Bledsoe. Last year we missed the playoffs with Drew Bledsoe at the helm. We went 9-7, and mounted a hellish win streak against what were obviously some pretty weak teams. But despite who we played lets just say that we were a legit 9-7.

Now Lets remove Jonas Jennings, Pat Williams, and Takeo Spikes from our team. Is Kelly Holcomb so much better then Drew Bledsoe that he can withstand the loss of those three guys and propel us to a 10-6 record this year?

Holcomb might improve the QB play but then what do we make of our 1st round QB making first round money? It's not like we can tell JP to take the rest of the year off, and that next year he will get his chance to play in a couple games to prove himself.

I'm not trying to rag on ya man, I want to win just as bad as anybody. But you know how many great QB's we would have never got the chance to see if they only got a 3 game audition?

For arguments sake let’s just say Kelly Holcomb's play is either slightly worse, equal, or slightly better then Bledsoe. Last year we missed the playoffs with Drew Bledsoe at the helm.  We went 9-7, and mounted a hellish win streak against what were obviously some pretty weak teams. But despite who we played lets just say that we were a legit 9-7.

Now Lets remove Jonas Jennings, Pat Williams, and Takeo Spikes from our team.  Is Kelly Holcomb so much better then Drew Bledsoe that he can withstand the loss of those three guys and propel us to a 10-6 record this year?

Holcomb might improve the QB play but then what do we make of our 1st round QB making first round money?  It's not like we can tell JP to take the rest of the year off, and that next year he will get his chance to play in a couple games to prove himself. 

I'm not trying to rag on ya man, I want to win just as bad as anybody. But you know how many great QB's we would have never got the chance to see if they only got a 3 game audition?

456109[/snapback]

I hear ya and I would be all for giving JP all the time he needs if the entire team was rebuilding. But they aren't! The Bills have a very small window of opportunity, just like most teams eventually get to. Do we throw that away to give JP the time to learn.

Holcomb may very well come in and play just as bad, but I don't think so because he already has what JP doesn't, "years of experience". He is not likely to panic and throw a simple 10 yd out 10 yards over Moulds head.

Again, my thrust here is putting the best team on the field each week to win NOW, not playing for the future!

I guess we just differ in what we think the window is this year. If I felt like we had all the peaces to make the playoffs and it was just JP holding us back I would make the move, but I would have done it at the start. In fact I even suggested that prior to the season not knowing that the defense would take such a large step backwards.

I have no doubt Holcomb would play better then JP at this point. I just don't think he can make this team good enough to make the playoffs, and unless you know that for sure I don't think its worth giving up on our 1st rounder after three games.