A well "timed" mistake benefits Patsies...

TheMadCap

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was always more about McGahee vs. the hype that's heaped upon him.

I've never contended that he's a bad back.  With Dillon looking every bit of over 30, I'd glady take him on the Pats.

458006[/snapback]

I think, though he still has flaws, he is starting to live up to that "hype" with 9 100 yd games in 14 starts and the YPC going up.

I think, though he still has flaws, he is starting to live up to that "hype" with 9 100 yd games in 14 starts and the YPC going up.

From what I've seen (not much, just numbers) it seems that McGahee's been real good in 2 of the first 3 games this year. If he continues on this pace, I'll give him his props. I was just hesitant about dubbing him an all-pro after a 4.0 YPC performance in 10-some-odd starts last year.

That said, the decision to draft him will always be a head-scratcher to me, given what was known at the time. Sure, you can point out what's happened since with Henry, but that's always seemed somewhat self-fulfilling to me.

From what I've seen (not much, just numbers) it seems that McGahee's been real good in 2 of the first 3 games this year.  If he continues on this pace, I'll give him his props.  I was just hesitant about dubbing him an all-pro after a 4.0 YPC performance in 10-some-odd starts last year.

That said, the decision to draft him will always be a head-scratcher to me, given what was known at the time.  Sure, you can point out what's happened since with Henry, but that's always seemed somewhat self-fulfilling to me.

458164[/snapback]

I can understand that, as even many Bills fans felt the same way. I was initially shocked with the pick but it made sense to me because it was a pick we "Stole" from Atlanta and McGahee was a top 5 talent (if recovered) at the time.

Kory Chapman was on the PS, but the Colts plucked him. Pats just signed Amos Zereoue, although I imagine Patrick Pass will be the one who gets more carries/catches as a result.

458187[/snapback]

[/quote

If he still has some gas in his tank, Z is not a bad choice. I got excoriated here 2 years ago for advocating him as a cheap, effective acquisition, only to see some sing his praises and want him last year.

Go figure... :devil:

"Superstar" status doesn't really concern me.  It's about wins, and I think that a guard (Eric Steinbach?) or a TE (Dallas Clark?) would've actually filled a need and contributed in '03, possibly leading to more wins.  An injured RB who was chosen to eventually replace a guy whose production he's not yet matched does none of those things.

457910[/snapback]

I've always taken the tack that you can't go back and look at a draft and pick one or two players that ended up being steals and make valid arguments about the job that a GM did. Every team in the league should have taken Brady and Terrell Davis before the sixth round - there are always going to be steals and busts in every draft.

So, with McGahee, I think that it is reasonable to look at the 10-15 players taken just after him and conclude that it wasn't exactly a bountiful collection at Donahoe's disposal.

2003 NFL DRAFT FIRST-ROUND PICKS

Pick Team Name

23 Buffalo WILLIS MCGAHEE

24 Indianapolis DALLAS CLARK

25 New York WILLIAM JOSEPH

26 San Francisco KWAME HARRIS

27 Kansas City LARRY JOHNSON

28 Tennessee ANDRE WOOLFOLK

29 Green Bay NICK BARNETT

30 San Diego SAMMY DAVIS

31 Oakland NNAMDI ASOMUGHA

32 Oakland TYLER BRAYTON

I think Steinbach looks like a nice player on paper (I think Clark is more difficult to evaluate because of the offense he plays in and because he also has had injury problems in his career - would he have been an effective Bill these last three years? I have real doubts about that.).

As far as everyone else goes, you have a lot of disappointing players. Harris is a bust thus far. Woolfolk hasn't be productive or healthy. Davis is an end of the roster guy. Joseph finally became a starter this year. Asomugha seems to get picked on whenever I see him. Barnett is popular but overrated.

In context, while I think it was reasonable to suggest that the pick was risky when it was made, McGahee has worked out well for Buffalo. Among those ten players, I doubt there would be many knowledgable NFL people who would rate McGahee's professional career so far lower than second on that list of ten. Steinbach might get some sentiment as 1.

Plus, it's nice to see a guy come back from ripping all three ligaments in his knee anytime, but especially this week. :devil: Point is though that medical technology has come a million miles in the last decade in this regard, and that significantly mitigated the "risk" on this selection.