George Washington and the Indians

OnTheRocks

I am reading a biography on George Washington. And there was a point in history as the French and Indian War was just getting under way and the Colonists were trying to get the Indians to not fight for the French and come over to fight for the American Colonists to help England claim the Ohio territory,…..the Indians asked Washington why they should fight for the American Colonists instead of the French…Washington responded by saying:

“The sole purpose of the English military efforts was “to maintain your rights”…to make the whole country sure (available) to you”.

He claimed that the English had no other goals than to recover for the various Indian tribes “those lands which the French had taken from them.”

I thought that was pretty funny.

The BS flies out of Washington everyday. Back then it was flying out of the man the city was named for.

I am reading a biography on George Washington.  And there was a point in history as the French and Indian War was just getting under way and the Colonists were trying to get the Indians to not fight for the French and come over to fight for the American Colonists to help England claim the Ohio territory,…..the Indians asked Washington why they should fight for the American Colonists instead of the French…Washington responded by saying:

“The sole purpose of the English military efforts was “to maintain your rights”…to make the whole country sure (available) to you”.

He claimed that the English had no other goals than to recover for the various Indian tribes “those lands which the French had taken from them.”

I thought that was pretty funny.

The BS flies out of Washington everyday.  Back then it was flying out of the man the city was named for.

455386[/snapback]

If it's a good biography, like Ellis's, you'll get the continuing story of Washington's efforts to do right for the Indians. He promised them huge swaths of land where no white man would settle, and they took "the great white father" at his word- only to have that word broken by later administrations.

It actually is Ellis's book. "His Excellency" GREAT BOOK!

I understand that at this point Washington was only 23 or 24 years old....(which is just remarkable)....and he is doing anything he can to be accepted into the Britsh Aristocracy.