thoughts on the game

bbills17

JP was horribly inaccurate. Other than that, I liked his play. He seemed to usually pick the right spots (other than missing a wide-open Moulds down the sideline), but he can't hit his targets. Young, inexperienced QBs that are thought to have potential can still usually throw with decent accuracy. The long bombs were especially suprising, he couldn't even come close on many of them, even when the line gave him lots of time.

This will get tonnes of hate replies since there has always been a love-on for Willis on this board, but I don't think he played any better than 'good'. Most of his big runs were the product of huge holes opened for him, and even those runs I thought he could have stretched farther. He just doesn't have the breakway speed he had in college. When the holes weren't there, he didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Why is it you watch other young backs like Carnell or Julius Jones, and they always pull off amazing runs out of nothing, at least 3-4 times a game? I never see this with Willis.

This season is far from written off, especially since the AFC games are what really matter.

I thought Crowell filled in for Spikes very well. I think the defence can still be very good with Crowell in there.

We blitzed a lot, but really showed an inability to get to the QB. Either our pass rush sucks, or ATL picked up the blitz very well.

I think that’s a pretty accurate assessment. JP has showed inaccuracy but some of that is due to lack of experience. Some people will say accuracy is something he should just have, and it doesn't matter that it' only his third game. To a point that’s true, but not fully understanding coverage schemes will make a QB hesitant, and that will certainly effect his accuracy.

As for Willis I'm seeing the same things. He is a very good back, and is obviously a player that handles the RB position well. But he doesn't have the speed and explosiveness he had in college. Now he relies more on power, which is fine because he is a very powerful back. I'm not even about to complain about one of the best players on this team, but if you saw enough of him in college it's obvious he isn't the player he once was. I guess that just goes to show you how incredible he was at Miami, all the power in the world with 4.3 speed and elusiveness.

I think that’s a pretty accurate assessment. JP has showed inaccuracy but some of that is due to lack of experience. Some people will say accuracy is something he should just have, and it doesn't matter that it' only his third game. To a point that’s true, but not fully understanding coverage schemes will make a QB hesitant, and that will certainly effect his accuracy.

As for Willis I'm seeing the same things. He is a very good back, and is obviously a player that handles the RB position well. But he doesn't have the speed and explosiveness he had in college. Now he relies more on power, which is fine because he is a very powerful back. I'm not even about to complain about one of the best players on this team, but if you saw enough of him in college it's obvious he isn't the player he once was. I guess that just goes to show you how incredible he was at Miami, all the power in the world with 4.3 speed and elusiveness.

455276[/snapback]

The scary part is, he has only been picked off once, although it could just as easily be 5 times now if other teams had capitalized. For example, Moulds pulling the one throw down that went way over his head would have been picked off had he not made a great play to touch it.

Willis is good, but I don't think he'll ever be 'great'. If he's a power back, he doesn't run like one! To me, a power back is TJ DUckett, now HE was running with power!

I attribute those things to JPL being afraid of making a mistake....

He throws the ball so the defender cannot get it.....but he ALSO throws it where the reciever cannot get it......

But I also beleive tht he will improve with time......

455998[/snapback]

On WGR this morning, someone had this analogy: JP looks like a comic book character with the bubble coming up from his head... but it's filled with question marks. He's playing like he's not sure of what he needs to do.

When the game slows down for him -- and it will -- he'll be just fine. I look for that to happen somewhere around game 8-10. Hopefully we're still in it at that point.