Why losing wasn't too bad.

What's also disturbing is how ineffective quarterback J.P. Losman was and how Buffalo's defense uncharacteristically gave up 236 yards rushing -- the most since allowing 270 yards against Miami, Dec. 1, 2002.

"We missed a ton of tackles," safety Troy Vincent said. "I don't think we're pressing. But we didn't give the offense enough opportunities."

Not that the offense did much with the opportunities it had.

The Bills settled for two field goals and a touchdown in three trips inside Atlanta's 20.

And they squandered another scoring opportunity in the final four minutes after Atlanta's DeAngelo Hall fumbled on a punt return near midfield. Buffalo, however, gave the ball back when Losman slipped and fell, failing to convert a fourth-and-inches at the Falcons' 29.

"It's frustrating," Losman said. "I will never be happy or satisfied until I play to a level where I want to play at. ... We need to get the job done."

The first-year starter finished 10-of-23 for 75 yards with an interception and lost a fumble. And this time the Bills didn't have Willis McGahee to blame.

Criticized for failing to be decisive in last weekend's 19-3 loss at Tampa Bay, McGahee had a career-high 140 yards rushing and scored Buffalo's lone touchdown, an 8-yarder up the middle.

Receiver Eric Moulds was unhappy the Bills didn't attempt to pass more against a defensive secondary that was down to three cornerbacks.

"I don't want to second-guess what they wanted to do, but at some point, we have to be able to take shots down the field," Moulds said, referring to the game plan.

At the outset of this season we knew games would go like this. We have 3 trips to the redzone, and score on every visit. OK only 1/3 for TD's but that is 13 points from an offence that is going to take time to get going at full speed. What I liked was that we got the running game back on track. I'd like to see some more creativity though, but at least we got some playaction called. That said, we need to get Lionel Gates into the game. Shaud Williams isn't enough of a threat for me. Willis DEFINATELY gets the game ball and the OL gets credit for making space for him.

JP - oh JP. Well lets face it - you show us what you MIGHT be like some day, then blow it with some awful passes. I really still believe the kid is going to be a good player some day soon. He can make a good decision to run, he can *most times* throw the correct route, but he just can't be consistent enough with his accuracy or timing to be a contender right now.

What pisses me off about the quote from Moulds above is that he and I must have been watching a different game. Sure I understand the frustration - but look man if we go pass wacky even against a depleted secondary we're not sure JP can make the throws and I'm not sure how much Eric has left in him. He and Lee Evans haven't impressed so far and they should be embarressed Josh Reed leads the team. Also - what's his thing with taking shots down the field? I seem to remember the start of the game we continually tried to pick on their street CB and got nowehere but close to going 3 and out when we couldn't connect... Let's just stick to what we do well - running the football - and design some high percentage short yardage passing plays to use on 3rd and short. Yeah it's not going to be a career year for Moulds - but playing high percentage will win ball games.

Now for the D. WTF is up with not being able to play the run? Our D has no heart. They look at the O struggling and they have quit on us. They won't like this - and our D apologists are going to flame me for Time of Possession stats the last 2 weeks. But it's all a problem of their own making. If you can't defend the run, you can't win football games. I REALLY hope this week the Defence goes away, forgets about this GREATEST EVER bullchit and just gets back to playing football. We are not here paying $$$$$ and £££££ in tickets, merchandise and bandwidth to fund a probowl trip for London Fletcher (cos that's what all the talk has really been about), lets just get a bunch of team oriented football players to go out and clamp down on the opponent.

I don't care that Atlanta lead the league in rushing last year, or that Cadillac Williams is tearing up the league this year (beat out Willis to be top rusher this week) we just need to get it done. Ask Rian Lindell - he know's what it's all about.

So why was losing not so bad? Because it's week 3. Because despite looking arse again, JP did better than last week. Because Willis remembered how to run. Because we started creating turnovers on D. Because the O playbook looked better. Because we can afford to lose a game against another NFC opponent.

Nick, right on all accounts. I tried a post like this earlier.

The D is not getting it done. They need to figure it out, and fast. On the "plus" side, Gray is going <b>nowhere</b> to be a head coach if they continue to play like this.

I'm looking forward to the Saints game. I feel like this one got away from us and was winnable. And typical loser complaints re: officiating notwithstanding, I feel like ATL got a little help today too (the non-penalty flag, etc).

The D is not getting it done.  They need to figure it out, and fast.  On the "plus" side, Gray is going <b>nowhere</b> to be a head coach if they continue to play like this.

454741[/snapback]

From my seat in the upper deck, I could hear the defense tell the offense, "Do you think you can score from here?" after they handed them the ball at the 35 yard line down down 17-13. When they couldn't, the D decided, if the offense isn't playing, they shouldn't either.

From my seat in the upper deck, I could hear the defense tell the offense, "Do you think you can score from here?" after they handed them the ball at the 35 yard line down down 17-13.  When they couldn't, the D decided, if the offense isn't playing, they shouldn't either.

454751[/snapback]

Yeah that series sucked dick. But the D can't have that attitude. They know the deal - they hyped themselves, and 1 drive out of I don't know how many they did a good job. The Offence coulda had a go at the D after that first drive the Falcons had.

Another good thing about the way the season has started... The d hasn't looked dominant except against a lackluster houston team, and NC has zero picks... keep this up and he won't be able to demand #1 corner money... i want him to knock everything down, but not to catch that many... save us some $$

Another good thing about the way the season has started... The d hasn't looked dominant except against a lackluster houston team, and NC has zero picks... keep this up and he won't be able to demand #1 corner money... i want him to knock everything down, but not to catch that many...  save us some $$

454869[/snapback]

Actually I am think NC has been the cornerstone of the D so far. No one has passed on him yet really. He will still demand and get #1 corner money.

Actually I am think NC has been the cornerstone of the D so far. No one has passed on him yet really. He will still demand and get #1 corner money.

454873[/snapback]

Oh i have no doubts... i just don't want the numbers helping his case... i love nate and would love to keep him here for another 6 years... just will cost the bank to do it...

Yeah that series sucked dick. But the D can't have that attitude. They know the deal - they hyped themselves, and 1 drive out of I don't know how many they did a good job. The Offence coulda had a go at the D after that first drive the Falcons had.

454758[/snapback]

Not to defend the D too much, but they're good at riding momentum. After the TD made it 14-13, they had a 4-and-out and gave the O the ball at the 37. They responded with a 3-and-out, predictably ending on a sack. So, I count two drives. And I think that's really all you can ask of them.

454873[/snapback]

Totally agree, look at the money Winfield got. Even if Nate doesn't have a single pick all year, he will get a huge contract if he continues to shut down receivers the way he is this year.