OT - Jury Duty

Movinon

Received a notice and questionnaire yesterday to perform my civic duty as a potential juror at the federal level. If qualified, I can be called anytime from Oct 04 – Dec 05. Seems to me this is a long time and will certainly be disruptive to making any long-term plans. I was under the impression that if you are qualified the window for which they could potentially call you was usually two months or less. Anyone provide info? Oh yeah, live in VA.

Dont't worry about it......they have not pinned you down on a specific date you have to show up so it does not sound to me like that is an official juror notice....when you receive the official notice there usually is a specific date of when you have to show up and what your juror number is...etc....

If you do get that official notice there usually is a number you can call up if you have any scheduling conflicts that may arise. If there is just call them and ask for a deferral and they usually grant you one, usually two, after that it gets touchy. make sure you have a good answer

to continue from my last post.......

make sure you have a good answer as to why you cannot make it. telling them you just don't feel like it will not be a good answer to give them. Let them know you have plans to be out of state or you are ill or whatever.

At least that is how it works in NYS.....courts try their best to not strong arm people into becoming jurors....they will work with you if you esablish communication with them. take it from me....I was a juror and I work in the field of law right now......

In essence, you've been notified that you are in the potential pool from which they can draw jurors. You may or may not get a notice to report, but my guess is there will be at least some advance notice given so you can make arrangements. Your employer has to let you take time off for jury duty. If there are some extenuating circumstances the judge will excuse you, but you would still have to go through the jury selection process until dismissed I would think. Look at the bright side: this is a federal jury. Maybe you'll get to convict some congressman of fraud or something. LOL

If when you get into the jury selection process, you actually sound like you want to be there, stuckincincy, one of the attorney's will probably have y ou dismissed. LOL

I got called for jury duty about a year and a half ago (county level). I found it a fascinating experience. I was the second person picked for the jury. We were all set to go to trial when the accused (basically caught red handed trying to pass bad checks) had a sudden attack of common sense and changed his plea to guilty. At the time I was doing my best to remain neutral until I heard the evidence. If called again I would do the same thing, try to answer questions as honestly as I could.

What a society we have evolved into. My "personal inconvenience" trumps the workings of Justice. Sad.  I'll be dead when it happens, but you young folk's society seems to be going headlong into some sort of approximation of that depicted in the movie, "Blade Runner".

Enjoy. :lol:

32521[/snapback]

I wasn’t complaining about this being a personal inconvenience issue. I am more than willing to perform my civic duty, my only concern is that that I am potentially at the beckon call of the court for the next 15 months – kind of puts a damper on planning vacation, etc, don’t you think? :lol:

I wasn’t complaining about this being a personal inconvenience issue.  I am more than willing to perform my civic duty, my only concern is that that I am potentially at the beckon call of the court for the next 15 months – kind of puts a damper on planning vacation, etc, don’t you think? :lol:

32553[/snapback]

I guess you are right. God forbid the alleged commision of a crime and the adjudication of same hanging over your head dare take precedence and cause angst over your pleasure.

Those damn victims of crime..how dare they...

Sorry - no solace. None.