Music Question - Marvin Gaye

The Poojer

what is the quintessetial Marvin Gaye cd with his best stuff, I know I know, Greatest Hits, but there are so many best of..greatest hits..etc, never having been a huge marvin gaye fan my knowledge is limited, but wifey wants to buy a co-worker a gift, and she likes marvin gaye, so anyhelp would be appreciated, thanks.

what is the quintessetial Marvin Gaye cd with his best stuff, I know I know, Greatest Hits, but there are so many best of..greatest hits..etc, never having been a huge marvin gaye fan my knowledge is limited, but wifey wants to buy a co-worker a gift, and she likes marvin gaye, so anyhelp would be appreciated, thanks.

450724[/snapback]

I always thought "What's going on" was considered to be his best studio album according to critics. I like it.

450724[/snapback]

this is a good quality live perfomance with a lot of hits..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=music

450724[/snapback]

Depends on who you're buying for...

If it was you, buying for the wifey, Let's Get it On.

If it's your wife, buying for someone else, What's Going On.

450724[/snapback]

i always thought "Let's get it on" was his best studio LP...but, it's been awhile. I suggest you check out allmusic.com and type "marvin gaye" in the artist search (I think it's called "name") and see what they think. I'd do it but I'm late for a meeting.

As perhaps Marvin's most devoted fan on this board, I feel I must add my two cents here:

The easiest thing would be to get "The Marvin Gaye Collection", a 4 CD package that breaks down his work into a CD full of duets (w/ Tammi Terrell, Kim Weston, Mary Wells, Diana Ross), another CD featuring him doing ballads (includes a few standards like Mack the Knife, Too Young, and more-one of my favorites of the set), another that has live and unreleased material (such as his classic rendition of the Star Spangled Banner before the NBA All Star game in 1983), and one CD featuring 20 of his best hits called "20 Top 20s". The set has just about everything you'd want if you're a Marvin Gaye fan (like I am; he's my all-time favorite singer).

As for studio albums, What's Going On and Let's Get It On are classics, as are:

Midnight Love ("Turn On Some Music" is one of my all-time favorite Marvin Gaye songs)

Here, My Dear (made as part of a divorce settlement, it has some really nice gems on it that aren't very popular, but are good nonetheless)

Trouble Man (sorry movie, but a terrific album)

That's The Way Love Is (released a year before the landmark What's Going On, this one has a ton of great material, w/ the title track being one of the best songs of his career)

Happy hunting. You won't find any bad Marvin Gaye, so whatever you choose, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.