Gerhard Schroeder goes nuts....

SilverNRed

Fasten Your Seatbelts

BERLIN - A belligerent performance by Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder in a TV talk show after German elections, which his party narrowly lost, has drawn widespread criticism and fuelled alarm the country could be lurching into a political crisis.

Despite coming in behind conservative challenger Angela Merkel, the Chancellor - in an interview with all leading candidates after Sunday's elections - insisted he had won and should remain German leader.

This means Schroeder is locked in battle with Merkel who insists she should head the next German government. With both sides digging in their heels the impasse is likely to remain for weeks and could even force new elections - which some analysts say is Schroeder's secret goal.

Arnulf Baring, a leading German political historian, termed the Chancellor's performance "shocking".

"He spoke on election night as if he was on the verge of carrying out a putsch," said Baring in a B.Z. newspaper interview, adding: "The way he is treating democracy and majority rule is truly threatening."

Asked why Schroeder had behaved in this manner, Baring said he could only explain it by assuming the Chancellor was "not his normal self." He did not elaborate.

:lol::lol:

Honestly, I can't think of any incidents over the course of history where an unhinged leader of Germany has caused anything bad. <_<

Sounds worse than it is. Parlimentary politics as usual. The Christian Democrats won by a narrow margin with a coalition of two parties that Schroeder says should be considered as two parties (a statement not without logic). Of course, the way he's acting ALL the parties outside the Social Democrats are likely to allign and choose anybody BUT him as Chancellor, so he's rather shooting himself in the foot. But then, I always had him figured for somewhat of an idiot.

Sounds worse than it is.  Parlimentary politics as usual.  The Christian Democrats won by a narrow margin with a coalition of two parties that Schroeder says should be considered as two parties (a statement not without logic).  Of course, the way he's acting ALL the parties outside the Social Democrats are likely to allign and choose anybody BUT him as Chancellor, so he's rather shooting himself in the foot.  But then, I always had him figured for somewhat of an idiot.

449609[/snapback]

I know. I'm just poking fun at him for basically getting drunk on TV and acting like a loon.