Good News Part Three:

philburger1

This will be very cool if they get the cost down to about $800 per unit.

I'd buy one the first day they come out if they work on the price.

http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgaz...a6-090911200e96

448338[/snapback]

I'm not even going to comment on the technology, because the article's clearly inaccurate even if you know nothing about the technology. For example:

Most internal combustion engines operate at about 35 per cent efficiency. This means that only 35 per cent of the fuel is fully burned.

Uh, no...the measure of the effeciency of an engine is NOT what percentage of the fuel is fully burned.

It's a scientific fact that adding hydrogen to a combustion chamber will cause a cleaner burn.

Adding oxygen causes a cleaner burn. Adding hydrogen...well, it does nothing if there's not enough oxygen. Actually, it should cause a "dirtier" burn, as the oxygen should preferentially bind to the hydrogen rather than the molecular components of the fuel (i.e. carbon). Ergo, you have even more "carbon corroding the engine..."

The only thing the vehicle owner has to do is refill the unit with distilled water once every 80 hours of engine use.

Except that...

the H2N-Gen contains a small reservoir of distilled water and other chemicals such as potassium hydroxide.

So you actually have to refill the unit with distilled water and "other chemicals".

Maybe the technology works, maybe it doesn't. I don't know. But that's a REALLY stupid article. :)

I'm not even going to comment on the technology, because the article's clearly inaccurate even if you know nothing about the technology.  For example:

Uh, no...the measure of the effeciency of an engine is NOT what percentage of the fuel is fully burned. 

Adding oxygen causes a cleaner burn.  Adding hydrogen...well, it does nothing if there's not enough oxygen.  Actually, it should cause a "dirtier" burn, as the oxygen should preferentially bind to the hydrogen rather than the molecular components of the fuel (i.e. carbon).  Ergo, you have even more "carbon corroding the engine..."

Except that...

So you actually have to refill the unit with distilled water and "other chemicals".

Maybe the technology works, maybe it doesn't.  I don't know.  But that's a REALLY stupid article.  :)

448352[/snapback]

Damn Canadians, Damn FRENCH Canadians

I'm not even going to comment on the technology, because the article's clearly inaccurate even if you know nothing about the technology.  For example:

Adding oxygen causes a cleaner burn.  Adding hydrogen...well, it does nothing if there's not enough oxygen.  Actually, it should cause a "dirtier" burn, as the oxygen should preferentially bind to the hydrogen rather than the molecular components of the fuel (i.e. carbon).  Ergo, you have even more "carbon corroding the engine..."

Except that...

Maybe the technology works, maybe it doesn't.  I don't know.  But that's a REALLY stupid article.  :D

448352[/snapback]

I also liked the part in the article about emissions reductions:

reducing ...  pollutants by up to 100 per cent.

My guess is that the rocket scientist who wrote the article considers carbon dioxide to be a pollutant. If I am correct, the author will be terribly disappointed as CO2 emissions will actually increase (IF this guy's device works as he claims) as combustion efficiency increasing will necessarily increase CO2 production.

Oh, well.

Dave.

I also liked the part in the article about emissions reductions:

My guess is that the rocket scientist who wrote the article considers carbon dioxide to be a pollutant.  If I am correct, the author will be terribly disappointed as CO2 emissions will actually increase (IF this guy's device works as he claims) as combustion efficiency increasing will necessarily increase CO2 production.

Oh, well.

Dave.

448380[/snapback]

I was going to mention it, but I thought I had enough already. But yeah...apparently some journalism school dropout doesn't believe that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. ;)

And now that I think of it..."reducing pollutants by up to 100%"? In other words, completely eliminating pollutants? So where the hell does the sulfur and nitrogen content of the fuel go upon combustion, Oz? :D