How to Fix Our Offense:

ajzepp

I've been thinking about it, and I've come to the conclusion that it makes no sense for us to have Daimon Shelton in the game right now. That's not to say the guy is not a good player, cause he is. The problem is that every team we play is going to take the same approach with us - stack the box and make JP beat them. That being said, what makes more sense....having another body in the way of Willis finding a hole.....or going to three wideouts and spreading open the defense? I say we scrap the fullback, start a third receiver in the slot, and bench Shelton. That will immediately give Willis a little more room to run while at the same time allowing JP to have a fifth receiving option.

Agree? Disagree?

I'd have to disagree. Losman hasn't shown the ability to look off his 1st option yet, and plust we've now heard since the gregg williams era that the idenity we're suppouse to have is a "power running team" as I've seen Carolina/KC/Jets/Pitt repeatedly just run the ball down opponents throats. No one knew who Jake Dellhomme was when they repeatedly just ran stephen davis and deshaun foster at their opponents. I won't sit here and believe those teams I mentioned didn't see 8 man fronts the difference is they didn't care. They said they were running and thats what they did. Those teams don't care about their yards per carry, they have a philosophy and stick to it. It might not always be pretty but it works cause they believe it in it, and stick with it.

We don't have the oline of any of these teams, but they're still some big bodies. Some of whom are known as "road graders". Don't want Willis to get overworked fine activate lionel gates and use gates and shaud williams to spell mcgahee, but it just seems now the idenity we have now isn't what we were told the type of team we'll be. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with your idea if we had a more experienced qb who could look off wr's and is adjusted to the speed of the game, which Losman doesn't seem to be yet, but with the wide bodies on the line, a young inexperienced qb, Willis/Williams/Gates and our defense it just seems our best chance at being succesful is being a run first, run second and run some more type of team.

It could'nt hurt to give a try. It may not be a total fix. I think Willis just need sto hit it fast and hard and quit waiting for a hole to develop.

447262[/snapback]

Exactly....We already know that Willis is a stud back. He should be even better this year for gosh sakes....I just think there's too much going on in too small of a space, which is why he's doing all that dancing around crap and getting nowhere. Sooner or later, JP has got to get the job done anyway. So we might as well give him another target and see if that sparks things a little. Get one more guy out of the box on defense and spread things open a little more. Willis has great vision, so I think with just a little more space he'll be putting up big numbers again.

I'd have to disagree.  Losman hasn't shown the ability to look off his 1st option yet, and plust we've now heard since the gregg williams era that the idenity we're suppouse to have is a "power running team" as I've seen Carolina/KC/Jets/Pitt repeatedly just run the ball down opponents throats. No one knew who Jake Dellhomme was when they repeatedly just ran stephen davis and deshaun foster at their opponents.  I won't sit here and believe those teams I mentioned didn't see 8 man fronts the difference is they didn't care. They said they were running and thats what they did. Those teams don't care about their yards per carry, they have a philosophy and stick to it.  It might not always be pretty but it works cause they believe it in it, and stick with it. 

We don't have the oline of any of these teams, but they're still some big bodies. Some of whom are known as "road graders". Don't want Willis to get overworked fine activate lionel gates and use gates and shaud williams to spell mcgahee, but it just seems now the idenity we have now isn't what we were told the type of team we'll be.  I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with your idea if we had a more experienced qb who could look off wr's and is adjusted to the speed of the game, which Losman doesn't seem to be yet, but with the wide bodies on the line, a young inexperienced qb, Willis/Williams/Gates and our defense it just seems our best chance at being succesful is being a run first, run second and run some more type of team.

447271[/snapback]

I think we need to be a power running team, too....but those other teams you mentioned also are considered passing threats, too. We have yet to establish that, you know? Somehow we have got to get JP established so that teams respect our passing game more than they do now. I just don't see how Willis is going to have any success if they have 8 in the box all the time. To me, it makes more sense to make a change that favors our success with the pass, because ultimately that also helps the running game.

Willis runs better out of the single back set.  I agree with going 3 wide, 1 HB, and a TE.  Spread the field and provide outlets.

447283[/snapback]

Yep, Willis has very good vision, just like Thurman had - and just like most great RBs do. Not that Willis is in "great" category yet, but he sure has the potential to be. I love watching the NFL shows where they show the play from behind the QB. You can see the way Willis uses his vision in order to get his yards....it's pretty damny cool.

I think that once Parish returns (and Everett to a small degree), we will certainly get to see more of what you're looking for Ajzepp.

447372[/snapback]

Absolutely. If that guy is as good as everyone says he was during camp, he's going to be an exciting player to watch. TD says we'll have both Roscoe and K.Everett back this year, so that should bode well for JP.

I've been thinking about it, and I've come to the conclusion that it makes no sense for us to have Daimon Shelton in the game right now. That's not to say the guy is not a good player, cause he is. The problem is that every team we play is going to take the same approach with us - stack the box and make JP beat them. That being said, what makes more sense....having another body in the way of Willis finding a hole.....or going to three wideouts and spreading open the defense? I say we scrap the fullback, start a third receiver in the slot, and bench Shelton. That will immediately give Willis a little more room to run while at the same time allowing JP to have a fifth receiving option.

Agree? Disagree?

447257[/snapback]

Agree aslo need to establish some quick out and curl patterns to get the defenses jumping routes like TB did and then get an up and out.

I think the key to winning is better half-time adjustments, not benching your full back for the entire game. The Bills have always been weak at making in game adjustments for several years now. With the offense, we have to learn how to beat the blitz. We've been struggling against teams who blitz for years! Take a little from the patriots who dink, dunk and screen against a blitzing team. Run some play action, and run some fricken counter plays once and awhile against an agressive D. I think the key to a successful offense is to keep the defense guessing. Run out of a pass formation, pass out of a run formation, put guys in motion etc etc. Keep the defense guessing!

By the way, I think mularkey may be trying too hard to outsmart opponents, what happened to our power running game? I havent seen one counter, toss or sweep yet. Bring in some power sets.

Agree? Disagree?

447257[/snapback]

I agree. I was just thinking about why they weren't able to run while I was taking a dump. I asked myself, "Why don't they just put in 4 wides, JP and WM. It'll spread the defense and they won't be able to stack the box"

Seems simple to me, then again, I was taking a dump, where most great ideas come to me!

HA!

I agree.  I was just thinking about why they weren't able to run while I was taking a dump.  I asked myself, "Why don't they just put in 4 wides, JP and WM.  It'll spread the defense and they won't be able to stack the box"

Seems simple to me, then again, I was taking a dump, where most great ideas come to me!

HA!

447556[/snapback]

LOL!

Exactly....We already know that Willis is a stud back. He should be even better this year for gosh sakes....I just think there's too much going on in too small of a space, which is why he's doing all that dancing around crap and getting nowhere. Sooner or later, JP has got to get the job done anyway. So we might as well give him another target and see if that sparks things a little. Get one more guy out of the box on defense and spread things open a little more. Willis has great vision, so I think with just a little more space he'll be putting up big numbers again.

447272[/snapback]

If McGahee is such a stud back....why was he east/west dancing and not hitting the holes that were, in fact, there. There is increasing speculation that Willis is not in synch with the coaching staff.

If McGahee is such a stud back....why was he east/west dancing and not hitting the holes that were, in fact, there. There is increasing speculation that Willis is not in synch with the coaching staff.

447566[/snapback]

I just think it's cause there are too many damn bodies at the LOS. Willis has really good vision....he demonstrated it all the time last year. He makes good decisions and he's tough to bring down. That's just it, we already know that Willis is a stud.....so what's changed? It has to be the fact that they are stacking/crowding the box. So I just feel that the best way to help our offense would be to spread out the defenders, while at the same time giving JP another target. Hell, maybe even Josh Reed is starting to be a reliable receiver.....keep him in the slot with Moulds and Evans on the outside, and I think Willis will have more running room even if JP doesn't immediately start hitting more passes.

Agree? Disagree?

447257[/snapback]

it seems willis runs better without a FB. but defenses will continue to stack the box untill losman proves he can consistantly beat them, which he hasnt.