OT attention saturn owners

njsue

Check the want ads, you'll find Saturns being bought and sold all the time with over 100K on them. That is a true insight into reliability. Bought a 97 SC2 a year ago, runs great, over 30 to the gallon, is comfortable and runs great, love it. Be aware, Saturns are known for consuming oil, at least the earlier versions. I go through at least a quart every 3-5K miles,

I am looking to buy a new car. Just love the Saturn Ion Quad Coupe in Chili Pepper red. Probably get it next march or april. But, I am so in love with this vehicle.

How is the performance and reliability of the saturn automobile?

Thank you for your reply

31423[/snapback]

Here's a good site. As well as ratings, move around the site a bit for good buying tips.

http://www.consumerguide.com/

I had a 1992 Saturn and it was the biggest piece of crap I have ever bought. I never felt more cheated on a car purchase ever. First, there was a recall because the drivers seat would break, just snap right in half. That happened to me about two days after I heard about the recall. Then when the car was about three years old and had about 35,000 miles on it, I was driving down the thruway and the transmission fell out. That was covered by the warranty. Two weeks after the 5 year warranty expired, the engine block cracked while I was stopping for a red light. This wasn't covered by warranty and when I was told it would cost $1,800 to fix, I just junked the car. Had only 66,000 miles on it and I had just finished paying it off. I wouldn't drive a Saturn if someone gave one to me for free. I heard on the new Saturn SUV- the Ion or whatever the heck they call it, the back wheel tends to fall off for no reason. Sounds like another winner from Saturn.

I had a 1992 Saturn and it was the biggest piece of crap I have ever bought. I never felt more cheated on a car purchase ever. First, there was a recall because the drivers seat would break, just snap right in half. That happened to me about two days after I heard about the recall. Then when the car was about three years old and had about 35,000 miles on it, I was driving down the thruway and the transmission fell out. That was covered by the warranty. Two weeks after the 5 year warranty expired, the engine block cracked while I was stopping for a red light. This wasn't covered by warranty and when I was told it would cost $1,800 to fix, I just junked the car. Had only 66,000 miles on it and I had just finished paying it off. I wouldn't drive a Saturn if someone gave one to me for free. I heard on the new Saturn SUV- the Ion or whatever the heck they call it, the back wheel tends to fall off for no reason. Sounds like another winner from Saturn.

31786[/snapback]

Sounds like you had a lemon, I have a 91 with 220,000 and still going strong. Just normal maintenance.

I have owned 3 Saturns, a 92, 93, and a 98. I was discouraged with the build quality of the 98 - it felt cheap. All of the models have had recalls. Th e 98 had an engine problem within the first week. Am not impresed with Saturn's current offerings. Cavalier and Saturns have had reliability problems. You owe it to yourself to research Consumer Reports, at least know what you're getting in to. Try the Corolla - great reliability, fit and finish, and MPG. They have a sport package if you want it.

31786[/snapback]

all Saturn Vues from 2002 to 2004 are being recalled because the rear suspension collapses when making turns at around 45 mph

and seriously, take a look at consumer reports...the reliability is rated very poorly compared to other manafacturers

i had considered a saturn before because i thought the plastic panels would be good for preventing door dings and the salt in the winters...then my dad handed me a copy of consumer report...the solid black reliability turned me around right away...cavaliers are also notorious for having terrible reliability...my dad bought one and claims that is the biggest mistake of his life :)

also, stay as far away from VW as you can..my friend's 2003 jetta has already died an early death...doing what any smart person would do, HE GOES AND BUYS ANOTHER ONE :)

http://www.myvwlemon.com

the Vue is Saturn's version of the SUV...every manafacturer has to have an SUV now since people apparently feel the need to "offroad" their way to work in a huge vehicle...i guess the mild gravel some may encounter requires all that ground clearance :)

your local library should have copies of Consumer Reports, but I'll type out the review for you to save you the trip

the 2005 Ion actually got good ratings, but the rest of the reviews aren't so good

"The Ion is Saturn's disappointing new small car. It replaced the long running and outdated S-Series. Built on an all new GM platform, it comes as either a sedan or four door coupe. The sedan has a good ride and capable handling expce for its inconsistent steering. The noisy 2.2 liter 4 culinder engine returned less than exception fuel economy and lacks punch. The interior is cramped with uncomfortable seats, ill fitting pieces and cheap feeling materials. The hard to read gauges are located in the center of the dash which requires taking yoru eyes off the road frequently. First year reliability as been above average."

Vue reliability is still solid black

the edmunds.com review of the Ion isn't very flattering either

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/saturn/io...articleId=89620

pardon all this info...alot of my friends have been buying cars lately and since i'm more automotively inclined than most of my friends, i've been doing alot of reading :)

Our company recently purchased some new Vues. At first the crews were a bit skeptical about them because they were much different than the work trucks we had been using. But they have been reliable vehicles for us. Good gas mileage and roomier than you would believe when you first see them. Overall they have been a great pickup at almost half the price we were paying for our other vehicles.