i liked the move to pull losman for a series

eball

as badly as things were going for JP, having him sit for a series to see if holcomb could jump start the offense was, i thought, an appropriate thing for MM to do.

then, after holcomb's 3-and-out, putting JP back in there and telling him to finish the job sends the right message. MM essentially tells JP that there's no controversy, but if you're stinking up the joint we're going to try to do something to get us going. JP responded well and almost led the team to a TD.

bad game, obviously, but a good learning experience for JP and now we can set aside the "greatest defense ever" talk for a few weeks.

as badly as things were going for JP, having him sit for a series to see if holcomb could jump start the offense was, i thought, an appropriate thing for MM to do.

then, after holcomb's 3-and-out, putting JP back in there and telling him to finish the job sends the right message.  MM essentially tells JP that there's no controversy, but if you're stinking up the joint we're going to try to do something to get us going.  JP responded well and almost led the team to a TD.

bad game, obviously, but a good learning experience for JP and now we can set aside the "greatest defense ever" talk for a few weeks.

445394[/snapback]

TOTALLY DISAGREE!

Sends what message? Sends the message that we just put your backup in to see if he could do the job, but he couldnt, so now your thrown back in? Come on.

MM should have kept Losman in there.

I couldn't disagree with you more.  This was maybe the worst move MM could have done.  It opened up the door for a QB contraversy.  As much as I disliked JP, this was aweful to do to him.

445399[/snapback]

if MM hadn't put JP back in, you might be right. i guess we'll hear what MM and JP say about it, but i really think this was a "you're having a bad day; sit down for a series and watch" moment and MM intended to return JP to the game regardless.

i don't think there's any controversy at all.

if MM hadn't put JP back in, you might be right.  i guess we'll hear what MM and JP say about it, but i really think this was a "you're having a bad day; sit down for a series and watch" moment and MM intended to return JP to the game regardless.

i don't think there's any controversy at all.

445417[/snapback]

Controversy isnt the issue for me ... the mental games he is playing with JP is my problem.

I didn't like it at first, but it turned out alright.  Holcomb looked equally as ineffective and when JP came back in, he was able to move the offense (albeit against prevent defense I'd suspect, but still helps build confidence).

445400[/snapback]

What's this "build confidence" crap? Everyone was saying that JPL should have a lot of confidence from last week's game. What happened?

CW

I may be in the minority here but I agree. If JP would have come back and looked just as bad or worse then MM made the wrong choice but JP came back and looked good on the final drive so I don't see why it would be considered a bad choice if something like that allows him to take a step back and clear his head.

What's this "build confidence" crap?  Everyone was saying that JPL should have a lot of confidence from last week's game.  What happened?

CW

445428[/snapback]

Don't start. This one wasn't JP's fault at all. This turd of a game falls squarely on the coaches shoulders, just like last years Pittsburgh game. MM sucks.

Everyone seems to be forgetting the circumstances at the time of the game when this stuff took place. Bills were down 16-3, 13 points.

2 TDs win the game. Mularkey had Holcomb warming up to go in when TB had the ball. Holcomb was going in at that point, hopefully to try to pull the game out. When TB drove down the field & kicked the FG to put them up by 16, a tie became a longshot, but Mularkey had already committed to putting Holcomb in. So he puts Holcomb in and we go 3 & out. After that he decides what good does it do to have Holcomb mop up when JP can get some valuable experience. So to sum things up 2 things happened.

1) Mularkey tried to switch to Holcomb in hopes of winning the game, but between the time Mularkey makes that decision & Holcomb going in, the D gives up 3 that basically kills the point of putting Holcomb in.

2) After the series already promised to Holcomb, with the game basically out of reach, Mularkey decides JP needs the work more than Holcomb & puts him back.

Nothing wrong with either decision except the D messed up the plan by giving up the final 3.

then, after holcomb's 3-and-out, putting JP back in there and telling him to finish the job sends the right message.  MM essentially tells JP that there's no controversy, but if you're stinking up the joint we're going to try to do something to get us going.  JP responded well and almost led the team to a TD.

445394[/snapback]

i'm with you. he had to try something. besides, losman is a big boy. he can take it.

he also knows it was not all his fault. the bills were completely outclassed today. all 53 players, plus coaches, trainers, ballboys, etc.

I don't think MM pulled JP because he thought Holcomb would win the game. IMO, if Holcomb drove them to points, I think JP still goes back in.

I believe it was a "breather" move to calm the kid down, not any vote of confidence either way.

The whole team stunk today, not just the QB. (BTW, there goes Cadillac Williams for another 6 yard gain, lookout!)

I couldn't disagree with you more.  This was maybe the worst move MM could have done.  It opened up the door for a QB contraversy.  As much as I disliked JP, this was aweful to do to him.

445399[/snapback]

MM opened the door to a QB controversy? I think JP did a fine job opening that door all by himself.