Big Games This Weekend

smokinandjokin

(2)Texas at (4)Ohio State

(20)Notre Dame at (3)Michigan

(5)LSU at (15)Arizona State

(16)Cal at Washington

Iowa St. at (8)Iowa

Buffalo at Syracuse

o Tough to pick against Ohio State at home at 8pm, but I think I'll go with Texas, Michigan, ASU, Cal, Iowa, and Syracuse (all straight up of course, I didn't look at the lines yet.)

o Notre Dame hasn't convinced me of anything yet.

o I think Arizona State is going to give the business to LSU. But it's hard to judge whether LSU will have their minds on the tragedy, or if they will play supremely hard and focused because of what happened. I have to assume they are young kids, many who have families affected by this, and I don't think they'll play up to their ranking.

o Washington is not an easy place to play, but I don't know much about either team so I just picked Cal.

o Iowa St. is decent, but in the rivalry game, you gotta go with the home team (not to mention they are 8th in the country.)

o And Cuse needs this cupcake game after last weeks disaster.

Just in case there was anybody left who wasn't sure the Big XII was hideously overrated as always, Oklahoma did lose to TCU.

Give me OSU to beat Texas.

I'd love to see ND beat Michigan, but I'm expecting Mich. to pull their usual "underachieve for 3 Qtrs before pulling away late at home vs. an inferior team" routine.

I'm with you on the rest.

Just in case there was anybody left who wasn't sure the Big XII was hideously overrated as always, Oklahoma did lose to TCU.

Give me OSU to beat Texas.

433397[/snapback]

I don't think there is any question the Big 12 is overrated, especially Oklahoma. It was very clear that this was going to be a rebuilding year for OK with young players (after two straight years of veterans gagging in the bowl games.) But I think Texas is the exception to the rule in the conference. They seem pretty loaded.

It is a tough game to pick though. Primetime, under the lights at OSU, national TV...should be a doozy. The line is OSU (-1) right now. I think I would take Texas but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

I think I would take Texas but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

433644[/snapback]

I picture Vince Young scrambling , with A.J. Hawk just breaking him in half with another bone crushing hit.

VINCE YOUNG, WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN HAWKAMANIA RUNS WILD ON YOU !

:blink:

Buckeyes beat Texas because OSU is at home.  The Buckeyes REALLY want this game too.  Probably worse than the Longhorns.

Superior defense will shut down the offense of Texas.  The game will be decided by a few big plays by the Buckeye offense.

433777[/snapback]

Yeah, yeah, Texas-Ohio State is all well and good, but more importantly, what about UBuffalo at Syracuse? <_<

Also, misprint above: Iowa State is home vs. Iowa, not the other way around. I'll still take Iowa, but not sure I like Iowa (-9)

(2)Texas at (4)Ohio State

(20)Notre Dame at (3)Michigan

(5)LSU at (15)Arizona State

(16)Cal at Washington

Iowa St. at (8)Iowa

Buffalo at Syracuse

433342[/snapback]

I'll take Texas, as Hawk aint gonna stop Vince! <_<

Mich, ASU, Cal, Iowa, and Cuse.

Buckeyes beat Texas because OSU is at home.  The Buckeyes REALLY want this game too.  Probably worse than the Longhorns.

Superior defense will shut down the offense of Texas.  The game will be decided by a few big plays by the Buckeye offense.

433777[/snapback]

Exactly how do the Buckeyes want this game worse then Texas? Last I checked, UT has been wanting to go to the championship for years now, and they finally have their destiny in their own hands.

o Iowa St. is decent, but in the rivalry game, you gotta go with the home team (not to mention they are 8th in the country.) 

Just so you know, the game is at Iowa State, in Ames.  Still have to go with my Hawkeyes, though.

434565[/snapback]

Yeah, I caught that yesterday and posted a correction above.

Do you like Iowa (-9)? Does Iowa State have anything?

OK maybe a bigger fan of College ball can enlighten me on this whole Vince Young stuff.

Maybe I'm putting too much stock into the OU game last year. He was incapable of making a play thru the air, and even the announcers questioned the coach for not switching QB's mid-game. It just seems like UT has beaten up on a bunch of crappy teams since then and now all of the sudden this kid's a superstar.

I know there was the Rose Bowl, which brings me to a different but related topic - I feel like Michigan's defense is one of the more overrated units in football year in and year out. Is it me or do they give up 27+ pts almost every time they play a decent offense?

Admittadly I haven't seen a ton of UT games the last couple years, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I think if OSU is half as good as advertised they should be able to shut down a 1-dimensional offense at home.

OK maybe a bigger fan of College ball can enlighten me on this whole Vince Young stuff.

Maybe I'm putting too much stock into the OU game last year.  He was incapable of making a play thru the air, and even the announcers questioned the coach for not switching QB's mid-game. It just seems like UT has beaten up on a bunch of crappy teams since then and now all of the sudden this kid's a superstar.

I know there was the Rose Bowl, which brings me to a different but related topic - I feel like Michigan's defense is one of the more overrated units in football year in and year out. Is it me or do they give up 27+ pts almost every time they play a decent offense?

Admittadly I haven't seen a ton of UT games the last couple years, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.  I think if OSU is half as good as advertised they should be able to shut down a 1-dimensional offense at home.

434826[/snapback]

Same deal here, I haven't watched a bunch of Texas games. Pretty much just the OU-UT game every year...which means I usually see Texas take a dump. Vince had a big Rose Bowl, but that was predominantly with his feet. I don't see him airing it out, and I'm sure OSU will scheme for his running. It's gonna be interesting, and I plan on watching since I'll be resting my liver for Sunday's big opener! I think I will probably take OSU (-1).

I know my pick above said Texas, but I have been swayed by the masses!!!

OK, well they did give up 28+ four times last year, and the Big X isn't exactly known for its explosive offenses. 

Same thing for the year before, although 28 vs. USC on the West Coast is no disgrace.

434913[/snapback]

how many of those games did they lose? anyway...the defense can be a bit inconsistent, but when they are up against "hot" teams last year Minnesota, shut'em down...Purdue the year of the Brees, shut'em down...ask OSU fans if Michigan's D ever comes up big in games against them...I've been watching and it seems you have a huge ax to grind against Michigan, even belittling a poster for having Mich in thier handle...what, did you apply and not get in?

how many of those games did they lose? 

Don't care, I'm talking about the defense.

anyway...the defense can be a bit inconsistent, but when they are up against "hot" teams last year Minnesota, shut'em down...Purdue the year of the Brees, shut'em down...ask OSU fans if Michigan's D ever comes up big in games against them...

I thought I remembered Brees putting 30 on them, maybe I'm wrong. I think Northwestern also hung 40 on them 1 of the 2 years they were good. Tennessee, Texas & Alabama have lit them up in bowl games recently. I'm not even saying they suck - I just hear every year about how awesome their defense is and I don't think it's much better than 'good' most years.

I've been watching and it seems you have a huge ax to grind against Michigan, even belittling a poster for having Mich in thier handle...what, did you apply and not get in?

434930[/snapback]

Belittling? Axe to grind?

Give me a break -

I found it humorous that the one guy who furiously defended Brady in a light-hearted thread (and even cut down Corey Dillion to prove his point) had "MichiganFan" in his handle. Tom Brady went to Michigan. Get it?

Damn, you guys sure are sensitive. :lol:

Decent offense, or does Pitt really suck?  We'll see.

Your guys must've impressed Vegas....I'm pretty sure the spread on this game would've been double digits a week ago, and now it's only 7.

435005[/snapback]

We shall find out tomorrow. I will say this though, they BETTER score 27 if they want to win this game. Our D still makes me reach for the maalox.... :lol:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.