Ohhhhhhhhhh USA ... USA USA USA!!!

PTS

I think for the MLS to really take off, they need a big name signing and some players. Kind of like how Gretzky was signed by the WHA back in the day.

I really have no interest in watching MLS...but if a team signed Robinho or Robben or someone like that who is a young star. I'd watch the MLS. It's the players that will attract people. But you need a profitable league or a rich tycoon to make the investment in the players and the league.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the US team, now that we have Eddie Johnson back I expect us to be even more potent....that guy is a friggin STUD.

433613[/snapback]

That 'stud' missed a gimme goal just minutes from time last night on a very genorous cross from Landon Donovan,

who just as easily could've gotten a threatening shot off himself.

Coming back from turf-toe or not, he should of headered that one away ..

It would've given us the result instead of settling for a draw against 'Guacamole' FFS ..

He's a great player, definitely up & coming, but hasn't reached 'stud' status yet.

Studs put those ones away when they get opportunities like that ... :blink:

I think for the MLS to really take off, they need a big name signing and some players. Kind of like how Gretzky was signed by the WHA back in the day.

I really have no interest in watching MLS...but if a team signed Robinho or Robben or someone like that who is a young star. I'd watch the MLS. It's the players that will attract people. But you need a profitable league or a rich tycoon to make the investment in the players and the league.

433655[/snapback]

I think that's the ultimate goal but the MLS if far from those days. The best they can do now is bringing in older greats from other nations. I heard Beckham said he would consider playing in the MLS when he retires from international football. There's less pressure here and he won't get mobbed like he does in Europe. I'm sure we'll see some of these guys come here in the next 10 years.

It's a slow but steady process, however the league is doing it right. What other league has new stadiums being built specifically for their sport at the rate the MLS does?

I hope they get to a day where they'll have promotion and relegations but that is such a tough sell to America. However, it makes every game important and makes the sport much more exciting.

The league will be at the 20-team mark soon and 30 in the next decade or so.

Spot-on Mr Clutch, couldn't agree more with all your views

The relegation/promotion system is fantastic, but I agree it just couldn't fly here.

Last day of last season was so exciting with Southampton, West Brom, Norwich, and

Crystal Palace scenario as to which one of the four would survive on that last Saturday.

The scene at the Hawthorns with their fans rushing onto the pitch when West Brom

became the team to survive, not to mention how they had the lowest odds of all four

clubs to stay up ..

Just can't beat that system and what it creates late in the season 'eh ...

I think that's the ultimate goal but the MLS if far from those days. The best they can do now is bringing in older greats from other nations. I heard Beckham said he would consider playing in the MLS when he retires from international football. There's less pressure here and he won't get mobbed like he does in Europe. I'm sure we'll see some of these guys come here in the next 10 years.

It's a slow but steady process, however the league is doing it right. What other league has new stadiums being built specifically for their sport at the rate the MLS does?

I hope they get to a day where they'll have promotion and relegations but that is such a tough sell to America. However, it makes every game important and makes the sport much more exciting.

The league will be at the 20-team mark soon and 30 in the next decade or so.

433710[/snapback]

Whoa cowboy, hold on. Let the league turn a profit once (yep, 0 times in 10 years the league has made money) before we start talking about 20-30 teams. Hockey got too huge too fast and misinterpreted the fan support that was out there (especially for a T.V. audience.)

The older Europeans who come here to play are on vacation. They mail it in during the games. I'm not saying they aren't a gate draw, which is really all that matters, but the MLS is like Florida for them. They come here to retire.

Whoa cowboy, hold on.  Let the league turn a profit once (yep, 0 times in 10 years the league has made money) before we start talking about 20-30 teams.  Hockey got too huge too fast and misinterpreted the fan support that was out there (especially for a T.V. audience.) 

The older Europeans who come here to play are on vacation.  They mail it in during the games.  I'm not saying they aren't a gate draw, which is really all that matters, but the MLS is like Florida for them.  They come here to retire.

433743[/snapback]

Oh, I know they come here to retire. They wouldn't come here from any other reason at this point or any point in the near future for the league. MLS players will need to go across the pond and take jobs there before you start seeing the opposite.

As for expansion, you have 4-6 teams in the A-League and a few in the USL that draw bigger crowds than some MLS teams. There are big soccer hotbeds in this country. Look at Rochester where the Rhinos do very well.

I agree with your point but I think they can avoid the mistakes of the NHL and put MLS teams in soccer-friendly markets so they don't have teams like the Canes, Thrashers and Predators of the NHL, which is why I think the NHL is still in trouble.

you know ajzepp, your right about soccer never getting huge in the US. We're well established in our sports and it'll be impossible to just create a league to rival the NFL. I always wondered though about FOX or NBC broadcasting games from the premier league here in the states. Id watch, pick a team, and root crazily. though, I understand how losing the live aspect would hurt.

433623[/snapback]

I don't know how many regular Premier League games I would watch, but I'd sure love to watch some Champions League games. EuroCup would be great too.

I don't know how many regular Premier League games I would watch, but I'd sure love to watch some Champions League games.  EuroCup would be great too.

433847[/snapback]

In case you're not aware of it, Champions League games ARE televised

They're LIVE on ESPN2, and SETANTA ... Channels 209, and 615 on DIRECTV

You can expect these games next Tue & Wed at about 11:30 am Pacific / 2:30 pm Eastern on ESPN2. I believe the Liverpool and Man Ure games..

Then SETANTA will be showing both the Chelsea & Arsenal games next Tue & Wed, same times ...

Many footy fans aren't aware of this, as they only expect it to be shown on FOX SOCCER CHANNEL, which doesn't do Champions League ...

<_<

That 'stud' missed a gimme goal just minutes from time last night on a very genorous cross from Landon Donovan,

who just as easily could've gotten a threatening shot off himself.

Coming back from turf-toe or not, he should of headered that one away ..

It would've given us the result instead of settling for a draw against 'Guacamole' FFS ..

He's a great player, definitely up & coming, but hasn't reached 'stud' status yet.

Studs put those ones away when they get opportunities like that ...  <_<

433708[/snapback]

Hey man, in terms of American soccer, Eddie Johnson is a STUD. He may not be Beckham or Ronaldo or whatever, but he's arguably our best player. Now Freddy Adu...HE'S an up and coming stud ;)

As for Johnson's missed goal, you have to cut the guy some slack being that he just came back from an injury.....on top of that, we were playing our scrubs and the game obviously meant much more to Guatamala than it did to us. EJ has like 7 goals in his first 7 international games, if I remember correctly.....I'd say that's a pretty nice pace!

Are best player doesn't even play for our country! Owen Hargraves, the best player to ever come out of North America. But he was a product of Soccer Canada...so we can take some pride in that. Sort of like Lennox Lewis. But they all take off where the money is, Britain.

how about the English loss to N.Ireland...1-0. Pretty devastating.

433344[/snapback]

Read into it what you will mate, but I am not a fan of England's national side....

I am proud to be English etc, but the national side and our Football Association is a joke, the other night when Northern Ireland beat England, I was much happier when Leeds' David Healy scored the goal to beat them than I could be seeing England score..

Overpaid and under performing buffoons :unsure:

Club Before Country! :doh:

Are best player doesn't even play for our country! Owen Hargraves, the best player to ever come out of North America.  But he was a product of Soccer Canada...so we can take some pride in that. Sort of like Lennox Lewis. But they all take off where the money is, Britain.

433923[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong but doesn't Mr Hargreaves play in Germany rather than Britain? :doh:

The truth is he wouldn't get in many big clubs' sides, despite being an international, he really isn't all that....

He rarely starts for England, and for me doesn't play well when he does, an everage joe if you like, if there was no commentary you wouldn't know he was playing...

As for being the best player from North America... not that much competition he's had in the past for that claim, but I'm sure y'all will keep churning them out...

As long as good ole Eddie Lewis does well for Leeds and USA I'll be a happy bunny :unsure:

P.s, it's not just football where people choose to represent England when they are born elsewhere, in cricket one of England's best players is South Afican by birth...

Oh and as for Lennox Lewis... he only claims to be English when it suits him.... You would hardly bump into him in Harrods, unless they opened one in New York :doh:

In case you're not aware of it, Champions League games ARE televised

They're LIVE on ESPN2, and SETANTA ...  Channels 209, and 615 on DIRECTV

You can expect these games next Tue & Wed at about 11:30 am Pacific / 2:30 pm Eastern on ESPN2. I believe the Liverpool and Man Ure games..

Then SETANTA will be showing both the Chelsea & Arsenal games next Tue & Wed, same times ...

Many footy fans aren't aware of this, as they only expect it to be shown on FOX SOCCER CHANNEL, which doesn't do Champions League ...

:unsure:

433867[/snapback]

Thanks for the tip. I have no idea what SETANTA is, but I will start checking ESPN2 more often.