Jeff Morrison said Szabo got after Clements

Spanky46

Just a little bit ago on Simoncast, Jeff Morrison said Steve Szabo (DB Coach) got after Nate Clements in the locker room after the game about his play on 4th down on the final drive. Morrison did not see the conversation first hand, but he heard from many of the other media in that area of the locker room that Nate was not happy after the conversation. He stated that Takeo Spikes came over to Nate and told him that the whole team lost the game, that it was not one individual player or play.

A couple of things I think are that shows excellent leadership on Takeo's part and also it is nice to see coaches let the players know when they make bad plays.

:doh:

That's one thing I really liked from watching the Sounds of the Game piece on NFL Network a couple weeks ago.....Mularkey is a players coach, but at the same time he is not averse to getting on someone's ass if they need it. He's very balanced and fair from what I can tell, and that's great. Takeo is right - it is a team game and they lost as a team. But a team is successful only when the individual components of the team do their respective parts. Clements should not have been thinking interception. He should have been trying to bat it down, as has been said over and over. Hopefully the DB coach got him thinking along those lines so that next time he does the right thing.

Just a little bit ago on Simoncast, Jeff Morrison said Steve Szabo (DB Coach) got after Nate Clements in the locker room after the game about his play on 4th down on the final drive.  Morrison did not see the conversation first hand, but he heard from many of the other media in that area of the locker room that Nate was not happy after the conversation.  He stated that Takeo Spikes came over to Nate and told him that the whole team lost the game, that it was not one individual player or play.

A couple of things I think are that shows excellent leadership on Takeo's part and also it is nice to see coaches let the players know when they make bad plays.

:doh:

29778[/snapback]

Morrison also said he heard from a few different people that Nate did not know it was 4th Down on that play....

Just beautiful... :)

ya but at least lindell didnt make a selfish play which costed the team. he made a physical mistake

Clements and the entire defense is going to take good risks to come up with turnovers this year. I am not mad at Clements; he was going for what he thought was a gimme INT.

I AM mad at the 3 defenders on Wilford, that one didn't knock his freaking helmet off, one didn't go for the guy's elbow rendering Wilford's hand numb, and the third didn't hit him low enough to flip him. Bad angles.

If Nate isn't contrite about his boneheaded play, I'd cut him... seriously... everyone knows that successful people own up to their mistakes, learn from them, and then move on.  We're going to be failures until we start showing the character of successful people.

29851[/snapback]

To his credit, Nate did say in his Post Game interview that he should have just knocked the Ball down. He said he had a real good look at the Ball and could have just batted it down, but went for the INT instead...He admitted it was a bad play...