Lake Effect Snow

After seeing the lack of sympathy by many, because those in peril choose to live in a city below sea level and/or they didn't evacuate, I came to thinking.

Can Buffalo have a lake effect system hit it so bad, that the city would be doomed?

Those that went through the Blizzard of '77 know how crazy that was, but it actually snowed very little. It was blowing existing snow off the lake for the most part. What if we had a very bad stretch of storms in Dec/Jan when the lake wasn't frozen over, but temperatures are cold enough to prevent accumulation from melting? Then say we get a day or two like we did a few years ago when it snowed 6 feet....but this time the low just stalled over the area, just as sometimes happens in a hurricane or any storm. How many feet could we get...8, 12, 16?

Add that to the 8-10 feet already on the ground and all of a sudden we become New Orleans.

This may be highly unlikely, but I'm sure the possibility exists. Would you evacuate if Don Paul was calling for 4 feet of snow?

After seeing the lack of sympathy by many, because those in peril choose to live in a city below sea level and/or they didn't evacuate, I came to thinking.

Can Buffalo have a lake effect system hit it so bad, that the city would be doomed?

Those that went through the Blizzard of '77 know how crazy that was, but it actually snowed very little. It was blowing existing snow off the lake for the most part. What if we had a very bad stretch of storms in Dec/Jan when the lake wasn't frozen over, but temperatures are cold enough to prevent accumulation from melting? Then say we get a day or two like we did a few years ago when it snowed 6 feet....but this time the low just stalled over the area, just as sometimes happens in a hurricane or any storm. How many feet could we get...8, 12, 16?

Add that to the 8-10 feet already on the ground and all of a sudden we become New Orleans.

This may be highly unlikely, but I'm sure the possibility exists. Would you evacuate if Don Paul was calling for 4 feet of snow?

426688[/snapback]

Would this happen before the Niagara River flowed with blood or after the locusts? :blink:

I don't know about you, but I would simply stay in my house despite everyone telling me to evacuate. Then I would use it as an opportunity to loot as much as I could, especially a gun because then I could shoot at the people trying to rescue me. Then I would find the first news camera and complain that the governmnet isn't doing enough to help me out. Maybe that's just me but that is what I would do.

Would this happen before the Niagara River flowed with blood or after the locusts? :blink:

426694[/snapback]

The last time I was in Buffalo (last year), I saw signs for evacuation routes.

I guess it (a storm as devastating as Katrina) is possible, but highly unlikely. The Blizzard of '77 was termed a "thousand-year storm".

Mike

For 4ft of snow? Are you kidding? That's just getting started. It would have to snow 4 or 5 times that in a very short period of time to cause significant problems like NO has now. It takes a lot of snow to bring down houses and buildings and cause people to need to evacuate.

A more likely scenario is to have Toledo fall into Lake Erie generating a tsunami that inundates the city of Buffalo with 100 foot waves. That could cause some problems. But a little snow doesn't cause that big of a problem.