Interesting comment on gas supply...

Hardy Pyle

...I just found it interesting....but I don't know if it's true or not.

Typically, car tanks are about one-quarter full. If buyers start keeping car tanks three-quarters full, the added demand would quickly drain the entire system of gasoline supplies.—Today’s WSJ

...I just found it interesting....but I don't know if it's true or not.

Typically, car tanks are about one-quarter full. If buyers start keeping car tanks three-quarters full, the added demand would quickly drain the entire system of gasoline supplies.—Today’s WSJ

425610[/snapback]

:blink:

I don't understand this. There would be an immediate shortage, but then what's the difference?

Based on my math background, that statement is untrue. Apart from the initial requirement to get everyone's avg tank to 3/4, usage & therefore subsequent demand would be the same.

ALso, assuming many/most people are like me, they/I typically fill up their tanks when they're almost empty. (That's why you have the 'miles b4 fuel runs' out function.) So this would mean that on avg, tanks are slightly over 1/2 full.

Based on my math background, that statement is untrue.  Apart from the initial requirement to get everyone's avg tank to 3/4, usage & therefore subsequent demand would be the same.

ALso, assuming many/most people are like me, they/I typically fill up their tanks when they're almost empty. (That's why you have the 'miles b4 fuel runs' out function.) So this would mean that on avg, tanks are slightly over 1/2 full.

425634[/snapback]

Hell, I don't have a math background and it's obvious. I actually think I"ve heard this rumor before.

Wow, that was bad.  Poor nerd actually thinks he has a sense of humor.

425780[/snapback]

Guy at work wanted to donate.... he was very pissed when I explained what it was. Thought we made a fool out of him.

:blink:

OK, let's say that each day we require X gallons to supply the US with enough gasoline to keep a tank filled at 25% of capacity.

Tomorrow we all decide to keep our tanks at 75% (since even the most scared can't keep refilling at say 90%).

If my math assumptions are right, we would need 3X gallons of gas the first day. Assuming that gas stations are refilled about 2-3 times per week, this would mean that we are using in a single day, the whole allotment of the delivery. And given that our daily need is thereafter unchanged, we run out the first day. All over. And the second day our demand is unchanged. This could certainly be enough to disrupt the flow of gas and cause shortages.

For an analogy, think of how traffic is brought to a standstill, just by cars slowing down to view the accident on the other side of the street. My point being that small fluctuations in the normal pattern, can cause huge disturbances.

Back to the gas situation. Once the "shortage" has been affected, we are forever trying to play catch up and the shortage continues. Additional psychology causes panic. Which as time and time again shows that panic is the greatest threat.

Lastly, it would seem that the argument hinges upon the simple fact "Do we have enough to replenish the system the first time, ie can the gas trucks come back the second day instead of the 4th? And what would impede the process? Do we have enough trucks? Do we have enough cashiers the first day? Do the lines themselves the first day create panic?

In short (my conclusion) would be that knowing how american business is "lean and mean", there is NOT additional capacity built into the system, and shortage/panic is a way of life for American business in these lean/mean days.

course I could be wrong.....

OK, let's say that each day we require X gallons to supply the US with enough gasoline to keep a tank filled at 25% of capacity.

Tomorrow we all decide to keep our tanks at 75% (since even the most scared can't keep refilling at say 90%). 

If my math assumptions are right, we would need 3X gallons of gas the first day. Assuming that gas stations are refilled about 2-3 times per week, this would mean that we are using in a single day, the whole allotment of the delivery. And given that our daily need is thereafter unchanged, we run out the first day. All over. And the second day our demand is unchanged. This could certainly be enough to disrupt the flow of gas and cause shortages.

For an analogy, think of how traffic is brought to a standstill, just by cars slowing down to view the accident on the other side of the street. My point being that small fluctuations in the normal pattern, can cause huge disturbances.

Back to the gas situation. Once the "shortage" has been affected, we are forever trying to play catch up and the shortage continues. Additional psychology causes panic. Which as time and time again shows that panic is the greatest threat.

Lastly, it would seem that the argument hinges upon the simple fact "Do we have enough to replenish the system the first time, ie can the gas trucks come back the second day instead of the 4th? And what would impede the process? Do we have enough trucks? Do we have enough cashiers the first day? Do the lines themselves the first day create panic?

In short (my conclusion) would be that knowing how american business is "lean and mean", there is NOT additional capacity built into the system, and shortage/panic is a way of life for American business in these lean/mean days.

course I could be wrong.....

426377[/snapback]

Good point, didn't take the catch-up factor into account.