Season will be real test for MM

jahnyc

Unless there are significant injuries, the defense will be very solid and the special teams strong.

MM's challenge will be the offense. He inherited a strong defense and our special teams have improved to one of the best. MM was brought in to fix the offense, and that is what will be needed to make the playoffs this year. Although JP is a qb with no experience and the o-lline has questions, there are weapons in WM, EM and L. Evans. There is hope if JP can play with some consistency (i.e., without turning the ball over) and the offense makes use of the skill players mentioned above. MM's coaching abilities, in particular on offense, will be the key to the season (along with injuries, the play of JP and the performance of the o-line). Because of the strength of our other units, we really need JP to be no worse than average. I hope JP will play better, but to be competitive, this is what we need.

Regarding our special teams, I can't help but think that the unit's stregth must be a combination of coaching and talent. For example, I believe that some of our back-up linebackers (Crowell, Stamer etc.) may be legitimate starting prospects. I hope this bodes well for the overall talent of our reserves, because I am worried about the o-line starters and depth. When M. Williams came out of last night's game, I was concerned about our lack of RT depth. I don't see that we have an experienced back-up at the tackle position this year. Price fulfilled that role well over the last number of years, but he was not re-signed. I know that we can move players around (i.e., Teague), but I would feel more comfortable with other alternatives.