Observations about game

Peter

Why hasn't anybody here said anything about Henry running the wrong way on at least two obvious plays causing major losses and causing two good drives to be stopped all by himself. The first was a screen, lineman go one way and wrongway Henry is all by himself, result loss of 8. Later on a handoff, hes not there and Bledsoe has to eat it for a big loss. After both plays Bledsoe and the O-line looked at him like WTF. I don't care how hard he runs, if he can't block and is too stupid to know the plays he is of no help to this team. Plus I bet Willis would of scored if givin the ball twice at the goal line.

28920[/snapback]

Actually, the screen you are talking about happened early in the second quarter and he lost 5 yards not 8. Also, the Bills were able to get a first down after that so it didn't kill the drive. The other play was our first poss. in the third quarter. It was 2 and 7 and there was no hole. It didn't help that drive but the lack of a hole on first down and Lee Evans' pattern being a few yards shy of the markers also hurt.

If. If If. If.

I'm so sick of that fu**ing word. If we don't fumble. If we don't hold. If we don't drop the pass. If we knock the ball down. If we blocked. If this and if that, week after week after week after week. Watching this team is like watching Groundhog Day.

Here's another IF for you...

IF we are 0-4 after the Jets game on Oct. 10, I will be surprised IF I don't need to go to a mental hospital.

29154[/snapback]

Could not say it better myself...

And I think we all need to start looking at the obvious...We've been dealing with the if's on the way to a 9-16 Record in our last 27 Games, and the biggest question to me is whether or not we have grossly overestimated the overall Talent on this Team...

I wonder if anyone here thinks the other Teams with similar Records over that span have a talent problem? Well...of coarse they do...But it seems no one, or at least not many Bills Fans want to admit it's a possibility we just don't have the Horses overall...

Look, the lowely Browns figured out a way to thump a Team with a damn good Defense and a suspect Offense in their Home Opener. That was done with Jeff Garcia at QB, their starting HB out with an injury, and a rag tag bunch of Offensive Players besides Kellen Winslow...The Browns got it done, the Bills could not, and I defy anyone to tell me this Game yesterday did not have a striking resemblence to quite a few Games last Season except for the fact we Ran more and Bledsoe was not Sacked every other Down...Otherwise it was still 10 freaking points at Home, and there is no excuse for that...period...

1.  Given the abilities of our personnel, I liked the ball control approach and the fact that we were able to eat up the clock.  It looked like we were going to be able to run out the clock or score at the end of the game but for . . .

2.  Villarrial's holding penalty was a killer.  I will have to watch the game again to see if it was justified.  It it was, the penalty had a huge effect on the outcome of the game. The O was clicking and Willis was starting to get in a groove.  Without that holding call, I dare say that the final score would have been 17 - 6. 

3.  We still have problems with the o-line.  Travis and Willis did not have too much room to run.  The problems with the o-line explains why we do not try to stretch the defense with long passes at this point.  Until we can consistently provide time for Drew, look forward to the short passing game.  Mike Williams has a long way to go.  He will forever be compared to Bryant McKinnie. At this point, the comparison is unfavorable for Big Mike.  We made a huge investment in a guy who so far is an average right tackle.  Big Mike is a right tackle who, at this point, is not able to handle quick DE's.  I still think he has a lot of potential, which this staff should be able to get out of him.  We picked him way too high though.  I do have to give credit to Big Mike, Villarrial, and especially Teague on Willis' screen however.  I have to admit Teague made a great block and showed some athleticism on the play.

4.  Travis Henry still does not know how to pass block.  He has not improved since his rookie year.  His deficiencies in this area are highlighted by the fact that Thurman was great at pass blocking.  If you want to see what I am talking about, take a look at what he did on that play designed for Shelton.  In future games, also take the time to watch what he does.

5.  The defense played great until the end.  That goes without saying.

6.  Jimmy Smith pushed Clements in the back on that long pass play at the end of the game. He should have been flagged.  You know that they would have flagged Clements if he had done that.  Nevertheless, Clements should have broken up the pass. If he had, the game would have been over at that point.

7.  Lindell . . . what can you say what has not been said already.  We needed those 3 points.

8.  McGee, I like your enthusiasm and ability, but please learn when to stay in the end zone.

9.  Don Criqui needs to retire or do a show where he just reads lines.  It is sad.  He used to be great several years ago.

10.  I would like to see more of Travis and Willis in the same backfield.

11.  Where did the Bills misplace Lee Evans?  He was great recovering that fumble, but I hope that he is going to do more to justify our investment in him.

12.  The fans at the stadium were great (from what I could see and hear on TV).

13.  What was Fletcher thinking?  Was that on purpose so that the D would have more time to get set with the right players or did he just go nuts? 

14.  Overall, I like the coaching staff.  I am still optimistic about the team, but yesterday's game showed that there is still a world of difference between us and the Patriots.

28898[/snapback]

Good thoughts and comments in general. When I go back and look at the game, i will watch the Henry blitz pick-ups because like many people in this thread it is hard for me to buy this argument on a day where Bledsoe was sacked but once and that sack was a good one for him to take in my view rather forcing the ball in there on a play where the lone receiver was covered and we were in kicking range.

I agree that Henry ran the wrong way a couple of times, but this is balanced with im giving a workhorse performance and picking up some tough yards so I'm not sure if he is a big target for fault here.

Good thoughts and comments in general.  When I go back and look at the game, i will watch the Henry blitz pick-ups because like many people in this thread it is hard for me to buy this argument on a day where Bledsoe was sacked but once and that sack was a good one for him to take in my view rather forcing the ball in there on a play where the lone receiver was covered and we were in kicking range.

I agree that Henry ran the wrong way a couple of times, but this is  balanced with im giving a workhorse performance and picking up some tough yards so I'm not sure if he is a big target for fault here.

29267[/snapback]

It's tough to fault Travis much because at this point of his career, he is what he is... He's never going to be Emmitt or Thurman in picking up the Blitz, but he runs as hard as any back in the NFL, and he's a tough little SOB...

I just don't see how Travis' play yesterday effected the outcome overall...There were too many other defining factors...

I feel better now. We are only losing 5 yards instead of 8 and there was no hole on another play Henry ran the wrong way so we only lost 3 yards and had to punt !! Sounds like we are on the brink of not being inept on offense!!! Henry gained 1 yard 5 times, Had no gain twice, lost yardage 6 times ( Including the broken play causing bledsoe to take a 3 yard loss). Willis had no gain on his first carry and then got at least 2 yards every other carry. Yep sounds like the O- line and Bledsoe must be all of the problem!!! When 13 plays in a game that you are responsible for go for 1 yard or worse maybe just maybe you might have something to do with it. Maybe just maybe Buffalo should give Willis a chance to see if it is really the O-Line and Bledsoe!

I feel better now. We are only losing 5 yards instead of 8 and there was no hole on another play Henry ran the wrong way so we only lost 3 yards and had to punt !! Sounds like we are on the brink of not being inept on offense!!!  Henry gained 1 yard 5 times, Had no gain twice, lost yardage 6 times ( Including the broken play causing bledsoe to take a 3 yard loss). Willis had no gain on his first carry and then got at least 2 yards every other carry. Yep sounds like the O- line and Bledsoe must be all of the problem!!! When 13 plays in a game that you are responsible for go for 1 yard or worse maybe just maybe you might have something to do with it. Maybe just maybe Buffalo should give Willis a chance to see if it is really the O-Line and Bledsoe!

29297[/snapback]

I didnt want to do this but.....ummm i will.....LoL

Mcgahee got in there, fresh legs against vs a slowed/tired DL in the 4th quarter...not to take anything away from Mcgahee he ran well but only ran for .2 more ypc then Henry......

OK Bufpow. If Henry must go, who do you replace him with? McGahee? You Can't be serious. McGahee may never be any better than he is now. And right now, he is not good enough. If you think that because he gained 31 yards in the 4th quarter of a hot day when the Jag D was tired, he is ready to start a game for us, you are krazy. Personally, I think that the second best rb on this roster is Williams.

Talk to me about him and you can redeem yourself.