We need Nate!

Frez

Of course.  Although it's not what you are hoping for, I would assume that if the Bills decide not to give him a long term deal, they will tag and trade him.  Why not?  If Nate plays up to his ability (being a contract year I'm sure he will), there is no way we don't get a first for him.  There is always a team that is desperate to improve their defense (think KC this year), and here they would have the opportunity to have one of the best young CB's in the game. 

That would give us at least two 1sts and two 3rds.  5 picks on day one wouldn't be too bad.

413948[/snapback]

Of course I'd rather keep him. I think he's the guy that makes this defense so good.

We need to keep Nate Clements in Buffalo for another 5 years. The guy is a playmaker and probably the best CB in the NFL today.

Here's my feelings on how to keep him here.

Cut Eric Moulds or London Fletcher next year and give that money to Nate. Eric and London are both getting up there in age and both are replacable if you ask me. London Fletcher can be replaced buy one of our LB's already on the roster. We can move Lee Evans to our #1 guy and find a free agent WR to fill the #2 spot. Eric Moulds is past his prime, time to move on.

We need to get Nate signed to a long term deal before the season starts this year!

413600[/snapback]

I would agree that he ia a playmaker but I'm not sure about the best CB in the League. He's top 5, but may gamble a little too much looking for the big play. I think that is what Jerry Gray is asking of him, so the onus is not on him. If they can lock him in under 5 million per year then go for it. If he is looking for 7-8 million I think he will end up elsewhere. TD doesn't overpay just for the sake of keeping the roster in tact. He's been fairly adept at determining fair value and if Nate stays here it will be on TD terms.

I've never been a Fletcher fan. Too many tackles 8 yards down field. He does make a ton of tackles but I'm not sure how many big plays he actually makes. Parting with him would be no sweat of my back.

Moulds is a touchy subject. I love the guy, he is a great team leader and mentor for the young recievers on the roster. If Evans blows up this year, you could probably kiss Moulds goodbye. Unless he comes back for less $. As far as finding a Free Agent WR, they would be better off drafting one because Free Agent WR's usually end up busts. :D

The only thing I worry about with Clements is this:

"I'm the best and I don't settle for nothing less," said Clements, a four-year veteran who's entering the final year of his contract. "It's just like if you're the best at your job, you want to be compensated for being the best at your position."

Clements shrugged when informed Denver's Champ Bailey is currently the highest paid cornerback after he signed a seven-year, $63 million contract last year that included an $18 million signing bonus.

That's a big hunk of change. Link for rest of the article below

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/8745477