Our Special Teams are ridiculously good.

CJPearl2

Until everyone else gets wise that STs are that important (and surprisingly, the rest of the league is pretty laissez-faire), we will have this edge. And w/ Lindell apparently kicking with more power, don't take your pee breaks during STs plays this season.

Great job by Mularky to see the need for/advantage to it and for April to implement it. Under GW, there was never a properly executed wedge.

Before getting giddy about Bills STs - You have to take into account

how poorly prepared Green Bay STs seemed out there.

413469[/snapback]

I was including last year's performances in that assessment. The fact that they've picked up right where they left off and RL looks better than when we had the top STs unit, that's enough for me to be giddy. Not giddy as a schoolboy, just generally giddy. :angry:

Unless The Gospel According To Rick Reilly says we played 16 games of nobodies, and he saw MM and BA eating paste in the supply room....

Edited by UConn James

That would hold more water had the Bills not had the best ST's in the NFL last year.  And with Lindell seemingly improving his FG kicking and KO's, they could be even better.

413470[/snapback]

You're probably right, STs will be fun to watch, and I love April.

But I am still in disbelief over how bad GB looked on ST.

I was wondering how representative today was of what we will see in the

regular season. (secretly, I am downright Giddy :angry: , but trying to temper my optimism)

regular season. (secretly, I am downright Giddy :angry: , but trying to temper my optimism)

Gotcha. They might not be AS good as they looked today (from what I've heard/read), but they'll still be one of the best.

413478[/snapback]

So were the GB press: http://www.jsonline.com/packer/rev/aug05/349845.asp

Special teams struggle all night

Unit sets negative tone early in game

By RICK BRAUN

rbraun@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 20, 2005

Orchard Park, N.Y. - As if the Green Bay Packers defense doesn't have enough to worry about, it was given another problem Saturday evening courtesy of the special-teams units. Simply put, the special-teams coverage units continually put the defense in a bind. And it started right at the outset, helping set a negative tone for the Packers' 27-7 defeat at the hands of the Buffalo Bills.

After the Packers' offense drove 75 yards for a touchdown on an impressive first series, any momentum they might have hoped to establish disappeared almost immediately. On Ryan Longwell's ensuing kickoff, return man Rashard Lee broke through a sizable crack in the middle and raced off for a 69-yard return. Longwell finally shoved Lee out of bounds at the Packers' 27.

Nine plays later, the Bills were back to even.

With the Bills leading, 10-7, in the second quarter, the Packers' punt-coverage team had a chance to make a big play. Instead, a crucial mistake gave the Bills great field position once again. When B.J. Sander punted 44 yards from the Packers' 18-yard line, Todd Franz drilled return man Drew Haddad and forced a fumble. Franz came out of the ensuing scramble with the ball at the 50-yard line. But Franz's effort was negated because rookie Roy Manning was penalized as an ineligible man downfield.

Forced to punt again, Sander hit a 45-yarder that had 3.63 seconds of hang time. It wasn't exactly a line drive, and Haddad caught it at the Buffalo 42 and returned it 37 yards to the Packers' 21, where Sander submarined him with a solid low tackle. Five plays later, Willis McGahee swept 6 yards around left end for a touchdown and a 17-7 Buffalo lead.

Things snowballed from there.

On the night, the Bills totaled 95 yards on five punt returns, an average of 19 per return. "I don't have any comment until I see the film," said a frustrated John Bonamego, the Packers' special-teams coach. "We just sucked." :angry:

Midway through the third quarter, Sander got off a nice 50-yarder with 4.48 seconds of hang time. Still, Jim Leonhard, the former Wisconsin Badger who is trying to make the Bills' roster as an undrafted free agent, managed a 17-yard return. Midway through the fourth quarter, Leonhard gathered in a 42-yard punt by Sander that had a solid 4.54 seconds of hang time and still got a 9-yard return to the Bills' 18.

Then the capper came with 4:55 left in the game and the Packers already behind by the final margin. Sander boomed a 53-yarder with 4.21 seconds of hang time. Undaunted, Leonhard caught it at the Buffalo 11 and ripped off a 31-yard return before Sander finally threw him down on the sideline.

"It's just one of those things," Sander said. "I played against him when he was at Wisconsin, too, and he took one back on me. So I had to give him a little payback." Sander finished the night with six punts for a gross average of 44.3. But with the Bills running through the coverage teams, Sanders' net was a dismal 28.5. Most of that was not his fault.

"I'm trying," Sander said. "There were still some punts I wasn't happy with and I'm going to watch some film and see what I did wrong and keep working to improve." One of the things Sander did "wrong" was have his night come against the Bills. Buffalo finished No. 1 overall in special teams last season under Bobby April, tying an NFL record with five touchdown returns.

"We got exploited tonight on special teams," said long snapper Rob Davis. "Coach congratulated us last week on a good game and it was a shame to see how we came back this week. We knew they were a good special-teams outfit, but I thought we were up for the challenge. We have to look at the film and see where the breakdown came and go from there."

There will be plenty of film to study.

"Buffalo was the No. 1-rated team in special teams last year, so we knew this was going to be a good challenge to measure where we were at special teams-wise," Sander said. "Obviously we've still got some work to do."

How bad was it? Sander led special-teams players with two tackles. "Maybe I need to hit the ball a little bit higher or maybe I need to put it out on the sidelines a little bit more," Sander said. "When they're holding up like that, we've got to change something." The night was a stark contrast to a week earlier when Sander averaged 46 yards gross and 41.1 yards net thanks to strong coverage. "After a great week last week, I thought we were making some progress here," Packers coach Mike Sherman said.

That obviously wasn't the case Saturday night.

our blocking on kick and punt returns was awesome, rashard lee didnt even have to do anything he just ran straight and everybody was blocked, you know your good when a slow running back runs 69 yards up the middle/sideline. Haddad had a nice cut but again the blocking was superb, jason peters made the lee run happen

Until everyone else gets wise that STs are that important (and surprisingly, the rest of the league is pretty laissez-faire), we will have this edge. And w/ Lindell apparently kicking with more power, don't take your pee breaks during STs plays this season.

Great job by Mularky to see the need for/advantage to it and for April to implement it. Under GW, there was never a properly executed wedge.

413464[/snapback]

Thank God for Bobby April and Coach Mularkey for realizing this unit was important and who could contribute. Hell, even Coach Levy knew that they were an integral part of winning!

regular season. (secretly, I am downright Giddy :o , but trying to temper my optimism)

413478[/snapback]

I dunno man but if it's a carry over from last year, htf can we NOT make the playoffs? I am so stoked about the possilbilites about this year. :P

FLMAO! :angry: And they were worried about our blitz packages! Man, they suck and are doing downhill fast. Please, I don't want to hear how they underestimated our ST this week. Stop making excuses and play ball Packers!

All I ask for is for April to continue to this streak he's on and carry on over to the regular season. We're going to to need it to get to the promised land. :o

Still, Jim Leonhard, the former Wisconsin Badger who is trying to make the Bills' roster as an undrafted free agent, managed a 17-yard return.  Midway through the fourth quarter, Leonhard gathered in a 42-yard punt by Sander that had a solid 4.54 seconds of hang time and still got a 9-yard return to the Bills' 18.

Then the capper came with 4:55 left in the game and the Packers already behind by the final margin.  Sander boomed a 53-yarder with 4.21 seconds of hang time. Undaunted, Leonhard caught it at the Buffalo 11 and ripped off a 31-yard return before Sander finally threw him down on the sideline.

413487[/snapback]

Met Jim tonight after the game. He's a cute little sh*t. I think I'm going to adopt him. :angry:

Met Jim tonight after the game. He's a cute little sh*t. I think I'm going to adopt him.  :P

413519[/snapback]

CL, why you naughty girl you! :o

I need female companionship. Think of me as a cute stray puppy that showed up hungry on your doorstep. :angry:

Before getting giddy about Bills STs - You have to take into account

how poorly prepared Green Bay STs seemed out there.

413469[/snapback]

You are right that the Packers have already shown that they have depth issues among position players and this often shows in the ST game where back-ups are often called to play a critical role (ala Crowell, Haggan, Aiken and other back-ups who were prominent in our NFL leading ST last year though starters Clements and Fletcher played critical roles also). In addition, they did seem poorly organized and my guess is that this team spent a lot of their practice time on blitz pick-up rather than ST and this showed in particular in a game where gameplanning is minimal.

However, what good/great teams are supposed to do against worse amd imprepared teams is crush them like grapes and the Bills ST unit did this. Given that this performance seemed to be more than a fluke occurence given the great performance last year, i think a little giddiness is in order.