We drafted Lee Evans because?

Thailog80

Lee Evans is really, really fast - what more do you need to know :angry:

unfortunately, the Bills brain trust doesn't trust our Hall of Fame QB to run a play action fake and then throw the ball down the field 20 yards.

A big problem is that Mike williams can not block anybody not standing still. Paul Spicer spent the whole day in the Bills backfield. On a running play, Spicer went around MW and tackled the ball caarrier about when he got the handoff for a loss.

Funny you should mention that...I posted a similar comment after the Game and was met with usual, Rookie impact, hindsight arguements, etc...

First off, it was the Bills Brass who said Lee Evans would impact the Offense with his deep speed, not the Fans. And I don't think anyone expects him to go for 1200 yds. and 10 TD's. But I sure as heck expected the Bills to try, just try, to get him the Ball deep at least one time....

Secondly I believe the Draft Pick speaks volumes to the "Offensive Philosopy" issue. Yes we all know the Bills needed to get Moulds help at WR. But if in fact the Bills were bound and determined to pound it out on the Ground and only throw shorter to medium range Passes, than I question the Pick. What I mean is, are we looking at another round peg for a square holed Offense? The Bills snagged Evans at #13 Overall, and 3 picks later the Eagle got OG Shawn Andrews who by all early accounts is a Bulldozer. Now granted I wanted Andrews on Draft day, but again my thought was the Bills planned Offensive philosophy dictated the Need, along with the fact we really did not have a LG at the time. Nothing against Lawrence Smith who obviously did a decent job on Sunday, but I'm sure any NFL GM will tell us there is a MAJOR difference between Smith and Andrews...Plus, it's obvious to me that McNally has helped already with the O-Line, but how much better would it be with a Player of Andrew's calibre at LG?

Look I know it's all hindsight and such, but damn if I don't worry that this Bills Administration keeps making moves that make you scratch your head. I mean I love Lee Evans, he's one of ours and I hope He's the next great NFL Deep threat. But if your going to Run a Ball Control, pound it out, 3 yards and a cloud of dust Offense, and OG is a Need, do you take the 5-11 speedburner or the 6-4-360 mauler? I think it's a fair question... B)

28841[/snapback]

Evans had a BIG affect on the game. They always had a man deep with him. That safety deep last year was a safety at the LOS almost every play. That safety often blitzed and often stopped the run. Moulds was open and single covered a lot because of Evans yesterday. I was absolutely astounded that they played their safety so deep, always to Evans side. I don't recall more than a couple plays that they didnt do this. He already has had an affect in a positive way on the offense without making catches. Although he made a nice first down catch and also made a whale of a play on the fumble recovery. He can block, too.

Lee Evans is really, really fast - what more do you need to know :angry:

unfortunately, the Bills brain trust doesn't trust our Hall of Fame QB to run a play action fake and then throw the ball down the field 20 yards.

A big problem is that Mike williams can not block anybody not standing still. Paul Spicer spent the whole day in the Bills backfield. On a running play, Spicer went around MW and tackled the ball caarrier about when he got the handoff for a loss.

29105[/snapback]

obie...I thought it was really, really, really, Fast!! :blush:

No doubt MW is still a problem on the O-Line, and I don't want to sound like I'm ripping Lee Evans because in time I'm sure he'll be all that...

But it just seems to me that getting a OG (who may very well be able to move to OT in a year or 2) who is capable of being dominant would have been the smarter move based on the Offensive philosopy MM wants to bring in...Look, we tried to Run the Clock out almost midway through the 4th Quarter, which I thought was great, but that speaks to a philosopy that a 5-11 speedburner is not going to aid much. Especially when you don't try to throw a Single Deep Play Action Pass to him or any other WR all Game long...

May be splitting hairs, but nonetheless... B)