Stone Hands....

I didn't watch the game but heard that Josh Reed (aka Stone Hands) had yet another infamous drive stalling drop on third down.  Is that true?

My apologies to Josh if it was not a well thrown ball.

407062[/snapback]

It was low and he was on the ground but he easily should have caught it. An NFL receiver should make that catch 9 out of 10 times. He saw it, he wasn't being hit, he had two hands on it, it wasn't like he was diving flat out. He needs to make that catch, especially on third down and when you're known for being a possession receiver.

It was low and he was on the ground but he easily should have caught it. An NFL receiver should make that catch 9 out of 10 times. He saw it, he wasn't being hit, he had two hands on it, it wasn't like he was diving flat out. He needs to make that catch, especially on third down and when you're known for being a possession receiver.

407073[/snapback]

In a couple weeks he won't need to make that catch anymore.

In a couple weeks he won't need to make that catch anymore.

407098[/snapback]

He doesn't add much because he doesn't really play special teams either. The only problem is that Moulds would be the only true veteran receiver out there. I suppose Aiken in his third year could be considered a vet, and certainly Evans looks and plays like a vet. I think I may just keep Haddad over Josh. He is just as old and looks twice as reliable.

I didn't watch the game but heard that Josh Reed (aka Stone Hands) had yet another infamous drive stalling drop on third down.  Is that true?

My apologies to Josh if it was not a well thrown ball.

407062[/snapback]

Reed's big problem in competing for a spot is less the non-catch than it was some good contributions to the team by his opponents.

1. He didn't make any crucial or outstanding catches, but Aiken did make a couple of catches and seemed to run good routes allowing plays to develop and the offense to be more effective with him in (JP getting his act together after a slow start was probably the larger factor).

2. Haddad led the team with 3 catches including a nice heads-up play by him when he caught a tipped pass not intended for a critical gain. The tipped pass was by a defender of Reed who if the coaches blame him for not getting separation or running the route well will get noticed along with the Haddad catch.

3. There seemed to be good ST contributions by players other than Reed on the ST job he will be vying for (MCGee is the KR guy but Lee did not drop anything though he was unspectacular if we are looking for a back-up and there are tons of guys with return experience on this team including Haddad).

The ball to Reed was not well thrown though as folks point out the catch was makeable. However, in the films and in assessment both he, JP and other teammates were clearly complaining to the refs (who obviously need pre-season work also) that the catch was made. When the catch is blown you can usually tell by how the players react whether it was dropped and my guess is this one the refs will probably be blamed more by the coaches and players for blowing the call than Reed for missing the catch.

Nevertheless, Reed's chances were hurt more by the good play of others than this "miss".