Honest Opinion about the Scrimmage

I loved the 1st play of the Bills second series. It was a 15 yard completion to Campbell that was simply a brillant play design. Multiple guys in motion, I thought I was watching the old 80's and 90's Redskins. The play was successful because of the formation.

Play designs like that will help JP be successful.

Things I took out of the scrimmage:

1. JP can play. He made mistakes, over threw some, should have given up a pic for 6, but all that is to be expected. If he struggle we do have a quality man behind him with Holcom.

2. Bennie Anderson is a monster straightline blocker. He eats up defenders. I didn't notice Gandy. Big Mike didn't look overly great, I saw him make several good pass blocks, driving the player wide and around JP. Who is 74? The man is huge! Peters didn't show me too much.

3. Roscoe Parrish is excitiment in a bottle get the ball in his hands several times a game.

4. Blitz, blitz and more blitzes....this defense will attack.

5. Rashad Baker impressed. Look at our secondary, we appear to have lots of depth.

6. The TE didn't look as bad as I thought. Campbell and Neufeld I noticed, so maybe that won't be as bad as we hoped.

7. Lastly, Troy Woodbury appears to have a future in this league. The man has tons of athletic ability. Get hyim on the practice squad this and send him to NFL Europe in the Spring. He looks like he could be a great back up in a couple of years!

1) JP looked a little rushed.  He made good decisions.  Had a good completion %.  SHould have given up a pick and 7 points, but the packer dropped it. 

*  Not sure the decisions were so good..but looked good enough against the 27th ranke defense in the league...

2) McGee would have ran back the opening kick if it wasn't 2-hand touch.

*  Somehow, I don't think their special teams was playing all out in a scrimmage...but it was exciting until you realized nobody really cared on the 1st team kick return/coverage part of this.

3) Defense will win us every game this year.

*  Every game?  If you mean every game we will win...you're probably right.  They looked good against what was a retooled and supposedly better line...

4) Even though McGahee is nasty, our O-Line need improvement.

*  Amen.  The TE's didn't bloack very well if you want to throw them in.

5) After watching our D tonight,  it is ridiculous that we would consider getting Corey Simon.

*  How much better might they be?  If we want the playoffs, it might be necessary...

6) Mularkey will run a lot of trick plays during the season.  It was a scrimmage and we ran 2 or 3 end-arounds.  I was drunk and still am.  I didn't keep track.

*  Yeah - it was wierd to see tricks in a scrimmage...

7) Moorman is great.  1 game, 2 or 3 punts, 1 pinned at the 1 yd line.

*  1st Probowl maybe this year...

8) Parrish will be our 3rd down man.  Twice tonight he converted on 3rd downs.

*  I think Sharpe had him in the probowl already...but when he gets the ball, the defense does get on it's heels a bit...If he can take an NFL beating, he might be special...Hope so - especially if moulds decides he wants to run to a perrenial playoff team for his ast few years...

9)  I believe we will make the Playoffs this year and beyond.

*  I think we need one more year for JP and the line...but they did give reason for hope...

We look good.  Our Offense will evolve over time.  Our schedule is easy in the beginning giving JP time to develop.  Our D and special teams will help us.  After that, Willis will tear it up.  We will be in good shape.  I am dead serious.  This season will be memorable.

400478[/snapback]

Considering what everyone in the NFL is expecting from the "inexperienced rookie," JP looked quite solid.

PTR

400506[/snapback]

Exactly PTR, good point. I didn't need to be overly impressed with JP. Just pleased

and I was pleased by his performance.

It will be interesting to see him go through the season. If he can get some protection throughout the season, his confidence should rise!

I really like his throwing touch.. seems soft but direct

8) Parrish will be our 3rd down man.  Twice tonight he converted on 3rd downs.

*  I think Sharpe had him in the probowl already...but when he gets the ball, the defense does get on it's heels a bit...If he can take an NFL beating, he might be special...Hope so - especially if moulds decides he wants to run to a perrenial playoff team for his ast few years...

From what I am reading, if we can tighten up the O-Line and get a bit better blocking from our TE position, the Bills will be a perrenial playoff team for his last few years. It would appear we have depth on D, and some good prospects on the O for the future. I also get the impression that Eric knows just how big a deal it would be to be part of bringing a Super Bowl Trophy to Buffalo after all we suffered in the past...

Just one man's opinion.

McGee would easily have been tackled on the KO return around the 40 yard line, the guy just stopped nd tagged him with two hands because they were told not to tackle on those things. Still, it was a very good return.

400560[/snapback]

Not only that, but the reason he got such a big return was that it was two-hand touch. A lot of the players coming in for the initial tackle didnt come straight at the player because they figured they could swipe him as he went by. The same goes for the Packers big punt return.

It's really hard to get any form of honest opinion from a scrimage other than how the QB is throwing the ball, how the receivers catch, and both of those looked fine.

This coming from the non-Bills fan, I'm trying to be as imprtial as possible.

1) JP looked a little rushed.  He made good decisions.  Had a good completion %.  SHould have given up a pick and 7 points, but the packer dropped it.

*  Not sure the decisions were so good..but looked good enough against the 27th ranke defense in the league...

JP's decisions for the most part were fine. Outside of that bad throw that was almost INT'd (but wasn't) and deciding to pass to Reed instead of running it in for a TD (damned if you do...), his decision-making was fine. Don't confuse missing his WR's a couple of times as being "bad decisions." Oh and the Pack will have a MUCH-improved defense this year under Jim Bates.

Well, somebody has to be the jerk.

Yes, JP did pretty well, but I'm still a bit concerned with happy feet. At least 2 incompletions were due to not being set or balanced when he didn't have anyone near him. He threw one pass with his ankles crossed. No, this isn't "we're doomed", but it's a noticeable tendency that is going to result in a few interceptions. We expect that is going to happen, but it would be nicer if it didn't.

Well, somebody has to be the jerk.

Yes, JP did pretty well, but I'm still a bit concerned with happy feet. At least 2 incompletions were due to not being set or balanced when he didn't have anyone near him. He threw one pass with his ankles crossed. No, this isn't "we're doomed", but it's a noticeable tendency that is going to result in a few interceptions. We expect that is going to happen, but it would be nicer if it didn't.

400711[/snapback]

The good news is that its something that can be fixed, as long as he's willing to learn from his mistakes. I was most worried that we'd see that Todd Collins/Rob Johnson deer-in-the-headlights look. Thankfully, I didn't.

The good news is that its something that can be fixed,  as long as he's willing to learn from his mistakes.  I was most worried that we'd see that Todd Collins/Rob Johnson deer-in-the-headlights look.  Thankfully,  I didn't.

400716[/snapback]

Agreed. I just hope someone can coach him out of it without messing up all the things he does well.

Honestly I wasn't as enthralled with JP's performance.  He was just OK.  The one thing I wanted to see him do well was throw the ball.  We already know he can run and evade a pass rush...but he's going to have to be able to sit in the pocket, make good reads, and throw accurately.  He was a bit off in the scrimmage and wasn't able to score a single touchdown...even in the red zone.

Before I get flamed for this, I'm not at all saying I was disappointed with his performance...he did as well as anyone could have expected.  Not specifically in response to this post...but some of the others that say he did "great" or was "amazing" is a little bit of an overstatement.  Those kind of statements would lead me to think he'd be ready to start if the season began next week.  He certainly is not and definitely needs to take full advantage of each preseason game.

I think Losman showed us tonight that he's made some good progress, needs some more work, but could be ready by Sept 11.

Oh and the defense? There's no overstatement there...they looked fantastic.

400500[/snapback]

I pretty much agree. Losman looked like a young QB at times. However, for a first shot this preseason, I didn't expect anything different. He needs to calm down a bit, but he's got four preseason games to get comfortable. At some point things are going to click for him. I thinkpeople who have played the game at a high level talk about how the game seems to slow down for you. As a youngster it seems like you have to make decisions with no time available. That's where Losman is now. As you get more exposure your brain starts to speed up. thought processes happen subconsciously. You get to the point where you don't really know how you know whether to pass or scramble, or which guy you should throw too. You just have a feel for it. That's what Losman has to work toward.

I thought Losman started off fast out of the gate but finished a bit shaky at the end.

The Bills offense won't miss a beat if Kelly Holcombe has to play for what ever reason this season.

Our offensive line looked average at best going against a poor Packers Defense.

Roscoe Parrish is the real deal!