MM comment how DL must respect QB mobility

stevewin

Just thought this was interesting

Mularkey offered an example of how Losman's running could help the line.

"I've told the tackles you can open up your splits (the space between the guard and tackle) a little more because guys (defensive ends) are going to line up where you split out to," he said. "So if you've got a wide defensive end, I'd take another yard split out and get him even further away from the quarterback."

"The response was, "Well . . . now he can go inside or outside.' I said, "Not with J.P. as quarterback. If he goes inside and he loses contain, there is nothing outside to stop the run.' You're going to see more disciplined rushes by teams. They better be in their rush lanes, because if a lane opens up he can go 82 yards."

BN

Pocket Presence>>Mobility

It's always good to have mobility. You can make things happen when they break down. However time and time again the best quaterbacks have proved, and teams that have won superbowls have proved that a quaterback with pocket presence will get it done more than a quaterback who can run. The last quaterback who could run and won a superbowl was Steve Young. Elway was a pocket passer by the time he won. However Mularkey is right a d definitly has to respect the added aspect of the quaterback who can run, but I'd much rather have a quaterback who can beat you from the pocket, and use his mobility only to escape pressure.