Saratoga weekends

Ahhh, the greatest time of year- sun is shining, teams are in training camp, and the football season is gearing up.

But to pass the time until the opener, there is nothing better than heading to the track in Saratoga. I get there at least once a year, and usually four or five times I make the drive from Buffalo.

If you've never been, there is not a better place to be in August. You can take your family, your girlfriend, or your crew of degenerate buddies and have an equally good time. The track is a jewel, and the town is sweet- good restaurants and excellent bars.

I'm heading there this weekend (the summer meet opened yesterday) and will be back again in early August, and then for the Travers on August 27. Afleet Alex will be running in the Travers and should draw a crowd of around 60K.

Like I said, if you've never been there, it is a great weekend trip in the summer...

saratoga the summer place to be . thay had problems with the betting machines in the 2nd race yesterday.  if you go to saratoga rember to stop  and get your balls waxed . :D  :)

392508[/snapback]

I love harness racing. Always bet that year's "favorite son" jockey if ya know what's good for ya. I like the trotter 'n pacer crowd better than the thoroughbred crowd, too. :D

I'll hate it if here in Ohio, if the pushers for video poker at the tracks win out. That would mean that those da*n wimmen will start showing up at one of men's last bastions... :(:lol:

Ahhh, the greatest time of year- sun is shining, teams are in training camp, and the football season is gearing up. 

But to pass the time until the opener, there is nothing better than heading to the track in Saratoga.  I get there at least once a year, and usually four or five times I make the drive from Buffalo. 

If you've never been, there is not a better place to be in August.  You can take your family, your girlfriend, or your crew of degenerate buddies and have an equally good time.  The track is a jewel, and the town is sweet- good restaurants and excellent bars. 

I'm heading there this weekend (the summer meet opened yesterday) and will be back again in early August, and then for the Travers on August 27.  Afleet Alex will be running in the Travers and should draw a crowd of around 60K.

Like I said, if you've never been there, it is a great weekend trip in the summer...

392491[/snapback]

Dude I envy you. Have never been to the Spa, but getting closer every year to talkin the wife into a three day trip there.

Been to Del Mar, which was just awesome, but here the Spa is Da Bomb

I love harness racing. Always bet that year's "favorite son" jockey if ya know what's good for ya. 

392545[/snapback]

The fix is definately in on the trotters. I love when the jockey is cracking the whip and yanking on the reins at the same time! Another good bet is the last day of racing in a month, find the jock who hasn't won yet....needs to pay the bills....the other guys will hit the brakes for him.

But to pass the time until the opener, there is nothing better than heading to the track in Saratoga.  I get there at least once a year, and usually four or five times I make the drive from Buffalo. 

If you've never been, there is not a better place to be in August.  You can take your family, your girlfriend, or your crew of degenerate buddies and have an equally good time.  The track is a jewel, and the town is sweet- good restaurants and excellent bars. 

I'm heading there this weekend (the summer meet opened yesterday) and will be back again in early August, and then for the Travers on August 27.  Afleet Alex will be running in the Travers and should draw a crowd of around 60K.

392491[/snapback]

This post is 100% absolutely spot on. :D

I am from Saratoga originally (currently reside in Manhattan) and would love to return for the meet and bet on the ponies. I am making the trek back this weekend for the Tom Petty/Black Crowes show and will unfortunately be unable to attend.

I've been to numerous other race tracks including Pimlico in Baltimore (phenominal party ion the infield) and to Belmont in NYC for the Stakes (where you couldn't even bring in your own alcohol, WTF) and neither of them can hold a candle to the Spa.

IMO, it is the greatest city in NY--it has everything for erverybody. Nightlife, a beautiful lake, history and is only a 3 hour drive to NYC, Bos. Syracuse, and Montreal and its strategically located in the base of the Adirondack mtns.

Home is definitely where the heart is.

I would definetly reccomend a trip to Saratoga. One of the most beauutiful tracks in the country with the top trainers/jockeys and horses to boot. It is where I fell in love with horse raceing.

The NYRA on the otherhand is trying to sink thoroughbred horse racing in NY. On opening day the first race was a Steeplechase. Three jockeys fell off their horses and were injured. Then in the second race the computers went down and ontrack betting ceased. In addition the centerfield tote/video screen was not working.

The trainers are pissed because they do not have a large enough detention barn ( where horses must go 6 hours prior to racing to prevent chemical cheating). NYRA set up tempoary stalls inside tents which are cramped and hot. Purge the likely favorite in one of yesterdays races had to be scratched because of how hot it was inside the tents. To top it off there was not enough electical outlets to provide a fan for each stall. :) Saratoga is the crowning jewel in NY racing and this is how they prepare???

NYRA which controls racing in NY is in shambles. They are under federal indictment, and have been hemoraging millions of dollars the past couple of years. This past Spring/Summer meet at Belmont was lackluster and the racing secreatry and Vet were recently fired. They are taking one of the best (if not the best) racing circuits in the country and running it into the ground. :D

I would definetly reccomend a trip to Saratoga. One of the most beauutiful tracks in the country with the top trainers/jockeys and horses to boot. It is where I fell in love with horse raceing.

The NYRA on the otherhand is trying to sink thoroughbred horse racing in NY. On opening day the first race was a Steeplechase. Three jockeys fell off their horses and were injured. Then in the second race the computers went down and ontrack betting ceased. In addition the centerfield tote/video screen was not working.

The trainers are pissed because they do not have a large enough detention barn ( where horses must go 6 hours prior to racing to prevent chemical cheating). NYRA set up tempoary stalls inside tents which are cramped and hot. Purge the likely favorite in one of yesterdays races had to be scratched because of how hot it was inside the tents. To top it off there was not enough electical outlets to provide a fan for each stall. :blush: Saratoga is the crowning jewel in NY racing and this is how they prepare???

NYRA which controls racing in NY is in shambles. They are under federal indictment, and have been hemoraging millions of dollars the past couple of years. This past Spring/Summer meet at Belmont was lackluster and the racing secreatry and Vet were recently fired. They are taking one of the best (if not the best) racing circuits in the country and running it into the ground. :blush:

392838[/snapback]

Is NY getting slots? Thought i read something about that recently that pretty much said so, and how ALL the top outfits will go to NY now, leaving So Cal in the dust. Fine by me, haven't bet So Cal in so long, hate stinkin 5 horse fields.

On a seperate note, we had a jock die here at Colonial Downs last week trying to keep his weight down(speculation),. This dude won a race a couple weeks ago and was so dehydrated and disorientated that he could't get to the winners circle, but there was no way for the stewards to prevent him from riding. Just a shame.

Then a jock pulls a knife on two others jocks after a race at Delaware.

NY tracks (Aqueduct was supposed to be the first) was supposed to get slots but the Federal indictment (NYRA) has put a hold on that. NYRA might lose the exclusive race franchise all together after 2007 to private interests.

It has been a tough couple of weeks in the horse racing industry. Afleet Alex was injured and will miss the Haskell and Travers. Several other prominent horses have retired recently due to injuries, then you have the jockey knife fight at Deleware, the jock death at Colonial, and the women jockey who was paralyzed in Wv. :P