Worried about the Bills/Packers game

Fezmid

Well, I have roundtrip tickets from Minneapolis to Buffalo (August 19th - 25th).

Well, just heard that the mechanics union may strike after their cooldown period... in 30 days! August 19th! :D

So, anyone know what happens if they do indeed strike? Do I get to use a different airline? Or am I just screwed? :D

CW

I mailed customer service, and they just replied. Doesn't make me feel great, but maybe it'll work out:

Northwest understands your concerns and remains dedicated to maintaining reliable services as we work to solve the challenges faced by our airline.  We have developed and are prepared to implement contingency plans to ensure continued operations with minimal customer service impact.

I trust that this explains what will happen if there is a labor strike.

CW

There should not be a "major" problem if the mechs go on strike, although I would not check my lugage if they do. That said Northwest will have a major problem if the pilots refuse to cross the picket line. I would be looking for information (media) regarding the support or lack there of by the pilots union and/or the flight attendants union.

Recognizing that NWA is king in your town, you might consider another airline, however the United flight attendants are threatening to walk soon too.

There should not be a "major" problem if the mechs go on strike, although I would not check my lugage if they do.  That said Northwest will have a major problem if the pilots refuse to cross the picket line.  I would be looking for information  (media) regarding the support or lack there of by the pilots union and/or the flight attendants union.

Recognizing that NWA is king in your town, you might consider another airline, however the United flight attendants are threatening to walk soon too.

386823[/snapback]

Umm...commercial aircraft have tons of mandated checks and component replacement schedules, and all planes require constant "this or that" attention. I can't say for sure, but if the mechanics walk they are grounded.

Umm...commercial aircraft have tons of mandated checks and component replacement schedules, and all planes require constant "this or that" attention. I can't say for sure, but if the mechanics walk they are grounded.

386827[/snapback]

Umm....SCABS

But as my uncle has told me (he is a union mechanic for NWA at Seatle) yes some, maybe many, flights will be canceled but "managers" will be providing the items you mentioned and they will bring in "others" to service lugage, cleaning and the other things that mechanics do for the airline.

The union needs the support of the other unions, which could include refusing to cross the picket line, slow downs, or sick outs by pilots and crews to fully ground the airline.

Umm....SCABS

But as my uncle has told me (he is a union mechanic for NWA at Seatle) yes some, maybe many, flights will be canceled but "managers" will be providing the items you mentioned and they will bring in "others" to service lugage, cleaning and the other things that mechanics do for the airline.

The union needs the support of the other unions, which could include refusing to cross the picket line, slow downs, or sick outs by pilots and crews to fully ground the airline.

386922[/snapback]

Tell your uncle not to strike until the 26th. Tell him it's for a Bills fan. ;)

CW

It's not good! AMFA represents 8 airlines including: United, Southwest, Alaska, FlyI, ATA etc. If NW goes out, there is a good chance that they will look to the other AMFA represented airlines to respect their picket lines, and you can see where that would go!

Those DC-9's you see them flying at BUF are all 35 years old and need the attention of the same mechanics who kept them airworthy all this time.

NW wants to hire replacements, if there is a strike, but the learning curve would be steep for someone new to step in and keep everything operating.

35 years ago, if an airline operated 35 year old planes they would be laughed out of the airport, but today, people are oblivious to what they are flying on, only want a cheap seat, and this is one of the results! ;)